Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why are they pushing an IUD?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 40 Replies
I went for my 6 week post delivery visit. We talked about BC options. Initially my DH was going to get the big V. But we have now decided that we are just not ready yet to make such a permanent decision. We might decide in two years we want to try again for a girl. But we did decide that we are giving ourselves a 5 year limit. My DH will be 40 in 5 years and that I our cut off. After DH turns 40 - no more babies.

So in the mean time we need some form of BC. I was pretty sure that I wanted the mini pill. I know it is not the most effective birth control, but I figured combined with BFing it would keep me safe for a little while at least.

My midwife and nurse were 100% against it. They both tried to talk me into IUDs.

First the Mirena since it last 5 years, which is all I really need birth control for. But I've already had a Mirena and hated it. But they tried to convince me that it's changed since I first had it and it is very unlikely that the problems I has the first time will happen again.

Then they tried to convince me to do paragaurd, but my insurance won't pay for it 100%. So I would have to go to the health department to get it placed.

But it is still an IUD and they scare me. I don't trust them. Other than getting an ultrasound there is no way to tell that it is staying in the right place and working properly.

My midwife spent an hour trying to talk me into it. Finally I convinced her to write me an RX forthr mini pill, but I had to promise to consider other options.

On the way out the door I saw a pamphlet for the Implanon. Even though it only lasts 3 years I think I like the idea of it more. My midwife is checking with my insurance company to see if it is covered now.

Why didn't she tell me about it before?

Have any of you had any luck with it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I. Want it but insurance only covers mini pill :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Did your Docotor have a problem going you the pill? My midwife made the mini pill sound like a fertility pill!

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM
They pressured me into the pill and I didn't want it. So I'm not on bc right now

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Did your Docotor have a problem going you the pill? My midwife made the mini pill sound like a fertility pill!

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I was on the mini pill. The problem with it is that it's only 88% effective and that's if you take it at the same time every single day. I had Mirena, and I had SEVERE mood swings. It was terrible. I'd consider the Paragard simply because it's nonhormonal. I don't do well on hormonal birth control.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I realize the mini pill isn't 100% but isn't EBF suppose to be 98% for the first 6 months until your period returns?

My Mirena came out, which makes me ward off IUDs completely

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I was on the mini pill. The problem with it is that it's only 88% effective and that's if you take it at the same time every single day. I had Mirena, and I had SEVERE mood swings. It was terrible. I'd consider the Paragard simply because it's nonhormonal. I don't do well on hormonal birth control.

rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Nope. EBF does nothing to affect your fertility. You can still get pregnant without getting your period. That's why most doctors will tell you to use a back up when taking the mini pill. You'd be better off simply using condoms than the mini pill. 

If your Mirena fell out, it's because it wasn't placed correctly, not because of a defect in the product itself. If you don't want an IUD, I've heard that Implanon is a pretty good alternative. There are side effects to it, though, which you should research thoroughly. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I realize the mini pill isn't 100% but isn't EBF suppose to be 98% for the first 6 months until your period returns?

My Mirena came out, which makes me ward off IUDs completely

Quoting rockinmomto2:

AlekD
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I would bet that they make more money from iuds than the mini pill. You do what you are comfortable with. :)
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

They get paid to push certain products.  The companies can offer then incentive money for each IUD placed!

I was told with the mini pill that it can fail more easily than other pills.  If my son has a nursing strike or when he starts to wean, I'm supposed to go to a better BC.

I had Paraguard and loved it.  I don't have it now because I needed extra time to heal after a C section, and just haven't gotten around to it.  I know you are worried about placement and staying, but if you ahve more questions about Paraguard feel free to ask me. 

I also had Mirena before Paraguard, but I had MANY complications with it!  So I really won't suggest it to ANYBODY.

lorsmommy08
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had paraguard for over a year now and I love it. Mirena tends to give ppl some issues, but paraguard has no hormones and lasts for a really long time. With out it, using NFP after dd1, we got pregnant when she was 14 months, dd2 we used condoms and got pregnant with ds while still bf-ing her at about 18 months. But I don't have a period the entire first year + while I'm breastfeeding and I co-sleep/babywear/skin to skin a lot. No bottles, so my LAM affectiveness is pretty high there, but once you start solids, that all changes so.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I have had both IUDs and prefer the paragard over mirena any day. Mist of the people I know that had issues with them falling out or going thru their uterus was because of how early they had them put in. I've waited until 12 wks pp for mine and had no issues like that. Now mirena is horrible. I had just about every side effect you could (I didn't get the blood clots or death but most of the other ones I did). Won't touch it again. Had it removed and replaced with paragard and had it removed almost 6 months later because of heavy periods and we were thinking about another baby. Now I have it again and in just about 3 weeks in and nothing yet. Barely any spotting when I got it in but nothing since (knocking on wood cause I don't really want it yet)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN