Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newbie with lots of questions! *kinda long*

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hello everyone! I'm Mari mother of 2. I'm new to the whole breastfeeding thing. DD #1 was ff. I know I know not a good choice. I wanted so bad to breast feed her but she wouldn't take. We even worked with a Laction for weeks and nothing. Plus I had a c-section, my mother kept saying I had postpartum depression when it was baby blues because I couldn't breast feed and felt like a failure! My mother always mad me feel worse. Every time DD got fussy or upset she'd make snide comments saying it was because we weren't breast feeding. I know I shouldn't make excuses but nobody writes you a book about how things will be. So I did what I could and what I felt was best.

So when I got pregnant with DD #2 I told myself we'd try harder and we did. Plus I had a successful VBAC which made the transition easier (for me) and a much better support group encouraging me to keep trying! DD and I have been successfully breast feeding for 4 weeks now! But I do still have some questions!

1. How long is expressed milk good for?

2. How do you deal with very leaky breasts?

3. When you pump should you pump when, your just engorged or just to help keep up supply?

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to, like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time)

5. What type of bottle works best for when babies not on breast? (Not for formula)

6. What do you do if baby prefers one breast over the other?

I've done some research on my own but I trust you cafe moms more because you always have better advice and more experience than any of these articles!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ali840
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
First of all, good for you for working so hard to nurse baby #2. Don't feel bad for baby #1, we all have to do what we think is best at the time, ya know?
1. Expressed milk is good frozen for 6 months, I'm not sure how long if you keep it in the fridge.
2. Use nursing pads, and lots of them. Change them often.
3. Are you going back to work, or will you always be with baby? I was always with my babies, so I only pumped when I was engorged, and then only a little, till I could stand it. You can pump to keep supply up, but you should probably wait to see if you have supply problems first. You probably won't have any trouble. If you are going back to work you can pump as much as you want while you're still making extra milk to get a head start on a supply for baby while you're working. Plus, I think it helps to get used to pumping right away, because it is just not the same as nursing.
Best of luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mommie_2b
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Thank you! No I'm always going to be with my babies! I missed a lot in DD #1 life because of work and school. So now I'm a sahm!

Supply is good. I only really pump when we leave DD #2 with Grandma (date night and things like that) DD #1 is 2.

Quoting ali840:

First of all, good for you for working so hard to nurse baby #2. Don't feel bad for baby #1, we all have to do what we think is best at the time, ya know?

1. Expressed milk is good frozen for 6 months, I'm not sure how long if you keep it in the fridge.

3. Are you going back to work, or will you always be with baby? I was always with my babies, so I only pumped when I was engorged, and then only a little, till I could stand it. You can pump to keep supply up, but you should probably wait to see if you have supply problems first. You probably won't have any trouble. If you are going back to work you can pump as much as you want while you're still making extra milk to get a head start on a supply for baby while you're working. Plus, I think it helps to get used to pumping right away, because it is just not the same as nursing.

Best of luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ali840
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Good for you for staying home, too! I have stayed home since I got pregnant with my first (10 years ago). My husband and I struggle, but we think it's worth it. Babies just grow up so fast, I don't want to miss a minute!

I originally looked at your post on my phone and missed the last 3 questions. Sorry!

4. I just pumped when I was engorged (mostly at night, my babies were good sleepers.)

5. I always used the playtex nurser bottles with my first and second, but I've been reading a lot about the dangers of plastic lately and now I would be careful to use a BPA free or, better yet, glass. My baby now (10 months) won't have anything to do with a bottle. No date nights for me!

6. If a baby has a favorite breast, don't do anything different. Keep offering both at every feeding, they'll get over it. Sometimes they even switch favorites.

Quoting new_mommie_2b:

Thank you! No I'm always going to be with my babies! I missed a lot in DD #1 life because of work and school. So now I'm a sahm!

Supply is good. I only really pump when we leave DD #2 with Grandma (date night and things like that) DD #1 is 2.

Quoting ali840:

Best of luck!!

tbursac777
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll answer to the best of my abilities... anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

Quoting new_mommie_2b:

Hello everyone! I'm Mari mother of 2. I'm new to the whole breastfeeding thing. DD #1 was ff. I know I know not a good choice. I wanted so bad to breast feed her but she wouldn't take. We even worked with a Laction for weeks and nothing. Plus I had a c-section, my mother kept saying I had postpartum depression when it was baby blues because I couldn't breast feed and felt like a failure! My mother always mad me feel worse. Every time DD got fussy or upset she'd make snide comments saying it was because we weren't breast feeding. I know I shouldn't make excuses but nobody writes you a book about how tho a ings will be. So I did what I could and what I felt was best.

So when I got pregnant with DD #2 I told myself we'd try harder and we did. Plus I had a successful VBAC which made the transition easier (for me) and a much better support group encouraging me to keep trying! DD and I have been successfully breast feeding for 4 weeks now! But I do still have some questions!

1. How long is expressed milk good for? -Deep freeze for up to a year,fridge for 48hrs, room temp for 6hrs

2. How do you deal with very leaky breasts? -breast pads

3. When you pump should you pump when, your just engorged or just to help keep up supply?-pump from one side while you nurse from the opposite. or pump inbetween feedings or whenever you feel like it really. it's all up to you.

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to, like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time)-whenever you feel necessary

5. What type of bottle works best for when babies not on breast? (Not for formula)-the playtex drop ins are best for us

6. What do you do if baby prefers one breast over the other?-offer the side he doesn't prefer first.

I've done some research on my own but I trust you cafe moms more because you always have better advice and more experience than any of these articles!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Up to 8hrs room temp. Up to 8 days in fridge. 6 months in a freezer. 12 months in a deep freezer. And once frozen milk is thawed it needs to be used within 24 hrs.

Breast pads :)

3. When you pump should you pump when, your just engorged or just to help keep up supply?
If you don't *need* to pump, don't, lol. If you're uncomfortable, hand express just enough to take the edge off, your supply should be regulating itself soon and the engorgement will simmer down. Just nurse baby, there's no need to further complicate things. :)

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to,like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time)
Unless you're working or exclusively pumping, there's no need whatsoever to frequently pump, definitely no need for a schedule. If you plan on being away from baby at some point, pump in advance, usually once in the morning should do it. Remember that breastfed babies will only EVER need 1-1.25oz per hour and bottles should never be larger than 3oz. But if you're only going to be gone a couple of hours, nurse baby right before leaving and nurse right when you get home. :)

5. What type of bottle works best for when babies not on breast? (Not for formula)
There's no magic bottles, whatever baby will take it the one to use. Just make sure that the slowest flow nipple is uses at all times.

Very common, not a big deal! What works for some moms is to start on the most liked side and then to sneak over to the least like side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Quoting new_mommie_2b:

Hello everyone! I'm Mari mother of 2. I'm new to the whole breastfeeding thing. DD #1 was ff. I know I know not a good choice. (that's in the past and unless you have a time machine let's focus on this baby. :) ) I wanted so bad to breast feed her but she wouldn't take. We even worked with a Laction for weeks and nothing. (I'm very sorry you had difficulties. It could have been a lot of things--sadly not all LCs are created equal) Plus I had a c-section, my mother kept saying I had postpartum depression when it was baby blues because I couldn't breast feed and felt like a failure! My mother always mad me feel worse. Every time DD got fussy or upset she'd make snide comments saying it was because we weren't breast feeding. (sounds like she meant well, but didn't know how to help) I know I shouldn't make excuses but nobody writes you a book about how things will be. So I did what I could and what I felt was best. (completely understandable! I recommend learning all you can about what is normal because if you don't know what is normal then anything can be considered abnormal! Some books I recommend are: Baby Led Breastfeeding and So That's What They're For (there is some misinformation but overall it's a good read).

1. How long is expressed milk good for? Room temp about 4-6hrs; refrigerator up to 8 days; freezer up to 3-6 months; deep freezer up to a year. NEVER put milk in the door. It's warmest there. Always towards to back.

2. How do you deal with very leaky breasts? Never had that issue. You can get breastpads of course.

3. When you pump should you pump when, your just engorged or just to help keep up supply? Neither. Only pump if you plan on going out (following the 1oz/hr rule to avoid over feeding and causing a flow preference --- you do NOT want to deal with a baby that refuses the breast because they learn that the bottle is easier and I've seen it happen to moms who allowed bottles for months thinking their baby would never do that! Pumping to keep up supply is counter productive. You risk an over supply which although it sounds nice puts you at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis, and causes your baby to be gassy/fussy/ and spit up a lot not to mention other issues. Just BF on demand at the early hunger cues. Allow baby to come off on her own and offer the other side. She may of may not take it. Never schedule or time feeds. Allow baby to control the feed. If necessary get a mei tai, wrap, or sling to allow you to feed hands free. :)

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to, like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time) Like I said before only pump when you need to or if you are anticipating needing to go out often pump once a day in the morning (supply is highest in the morning)

5. What type of bottle works best for when babies not on breast? (Not for formula) The bottle that baby takes. Seriously. There is no "best bottle." I will be posting an article by a mom on this group explaining this in more detail. Best bet is to buy one of each kind and when you find what baby likes buy more. Always stay with slow flow nipples (breast nipples never change flow and neithe should the nipples)

6. What do you do if baby prefers one breast over the other? Just go with the flow. ;) Your supply regulates independently in each breast. I prefer feeding DD with the left boob so I can use my right had. My right boob has responded by making as much milk as it's asked for just like the left does. I am not lopsided either. :)

Thank you! Be cautious though about the advice you get online. The advice in the article on Kellymom is sound advice by an IBCLC (stay away from babycenter and those types of articles). Be careful of the moms who get lucky doing everything "wrong" and being able to feed without a problem also.

new_mommie_2b
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Yes the do and I don't want to miss anything! Well thank you for your advice!

I occasionally pump when we leave her with Grandma. I try to get her to take both. We do good but some times my right one hurts (the one she doesn't like) we have a great latch but I also had surgery on it about 5 yrs ago. So it's got a slight lump.

Quoting ali840:

Good for you for staying home, too! I have stayed home since I got pregnant with my first (10 years ago). My husband and I struggle, but we think it's worth it. Babies just grow up so fast, I don't want to miss a minute!

I originally looked at your post on my phone and missed the last 3 questions. Sorry!

4. I just pumped when I was engorged (mostly at night, my babies were good sleepers.)

5. I always used the playtex nurser bottles with my first and second, but I've been reading a lot about the dangers of plastic lately and now I would be careful to use a BPA free or, better yet, glass. My baby now (10 months) won't have anything to do with a bottle. No date nights for me!

6. If a baby has a favorite breast, don't do anything different. Keep offering both at every feeding, they'll get over it. Sometimes they even switch favorites.

Quoting new_mommie_2b:

Quoting ali840:

Best of luck!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mommie_2b
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Thank you! It means a lot to be able to come back and get support! I was in this group before and when I was having issues with DD #1 I got put down a lot because I was choosing to ff.

So thank you for the advice and support! I don't hardly pump unless I know we'll be leaving her for awhile. But other then than she's in control of when she eats n for how long.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting new_mommie_2b:

Hello everyone! I'm Mari mother of 2. I'm new to the whole breastfeeding thing. DD #1 was ff. I know I know not a good choice. (that's in the past and unless you have a time machine let's focus on this baby. :) ) I wanted so bad to breast feed her but she wouldn't take. We even worked with a Laction for weeks and nothing. (I'm very sorry you had difficulties. It could have been a lot of things--sadly not all LCs are created equal) Plus I had a c-section, my mother kept saying I had postpartum depression when it was baby blues because I couldn't breast feed and felt like a failure! My mother always mad me feel worse. Every time DD got fussy or upset she'd make snide comments saying it was because we weren't breast feeding. (sounds like she meant well, but didn't know how to help) I know I shouldn't make excuses but nobody writes you a book about how things will be. So I did what I could and what I felt was best. (completely understandable! I recommend learning all you can about what is normal because if you don't know what is normal then anything can be considered abnormal! Some books I recommend are: Baby Led Breastfeeding and So That's What They're For (there is some misinformation but overall it's a good read).

1. How long is expressed milk good for? Room temp about 4-6hrs; refrigerator up to 8 days; freezer up to 3-6 months; deep freezer up to a year. NEVER put milk in the door. It's warmest there. Always towards to back.

2. How do you deal with very leaky breasts? Never had that issue. You can get breastpads of course.

3. When you pump should you pump when, your just engorged or just to help keep up supply? Neither. Only pump if you plan on going out (following the 1oz/hr rule to avoid over feeding and causing a flow preference --- you do NOT want to deal with a baby that refuses the breast because they learn that the bottle is easier and I've seen it happen to moms who allowed bottles for months thinking their baby would never do that! Pumping to keep up supply is counter productive. You risk an over supply which although it sounds nice puts you at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis, and causes your baby to be gassy/fussy/ and spit up a lot not to mention other issues. Just BF on demand at the early hunger cues. Allow baby to come off on her own and offer the other side. She may of may not take it. Never schedule or time feeds. Allow baby to control the feed. If necessary get a mei tai, wrap, or sling to allow you to feed hands free. :)

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to, like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time) Like I said before only pump when you need to or if you are anticipating needing to go out often pump once a day in the morning (supply is highest in the morning)

5. What type of bottle works best for when babies not on breast? (Not for formula) The bottle that baby takes. Seriously. There is no "best bottle." I will be posting an article by a mom on this group explaining this in more detail. Best bet is to buy one of each kind and when you find what baby likes buy more. Always stay with slow flow nipples (breast nipples never change flow and neithe should the nipples)

6. What do you do if baby prefers one breast over the other? Just go with the flow. ;) Your supply regulates independently in each breast. I prefer feeding DD with the left boob so I can use my right had. My right boob has responded by making as much milk as it's asked for just like the left does. I am not lopsided either. :)

Thank you! Be cautious though about the advice you get online. The advice in the article on Kellymom is sound advice by an IBCLC (stay away from babycenter and those types of articles). Be careful of the moms who get lucky doing everything "wrong" and being able to feed without a problem also.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LHummel
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard/read 6 months freezer,only 48 hours in fridge,24 hours from thawing

I used disposable breast pads. There are lily pads which aparently stop leakng but you don't lose milk. I heard about them months after my DD was born so never used them but I was concerned that it would cause problems like clogged ducts.(i have no evidence to support my worries just was my concern)

If you are very leaky and dont need to pump for your own supply you can pump and donate your milk. I guess there are some pages on facebook. I was lucky and would get 6-8 ounces with pumping. If I had known I could donate it I would have pumped more and done that. If you don't want to do that then just pump for when you need it since you're not going back to work.

4. When you pump should you keep some what of a schedule or only pump when you feel the need to, like when you leave to go out (without baby like just you time)

^^^^^^^^ see above

i dont know about a " schedule" per say. I pumped after every feeding when I was preparing to go back to work. My freezer filled up fast. 

i tried a lot. I like tommee tippee and playtex vent aire. Sometimes its up to whatever baby will take. I had to make sure to tell people to make the nipple warm or she wouldn't take it. 

I offered her the side she didnt want first everytime. She nursed from both sides every feeding. She was my little chunker. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)