Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP!! Breast Milk Drying Up :(

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM
  • 39 Replies
I'm in desperate need of getting my breast milk flowing again. I think either I'm drying up or its dried up. Are there any ways to get the milk flowing again? I feel so bad that I let it get to this point, I really wanna breast feed my DS.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM
2 moms liked this

What leads you to believe you're drying up? The only TRUE sign of it is a lack of dipes. Your breasts should feel less full or not full at all; that means regulation. Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces per session, but there are moms who can nurse twins without being able to pump even one drop.

99% of moms who think they're drying up are mistaken. So tell us your symptoms.

hismrsramirez86
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Well my breast don't feel hard like the used to they are soft with no pain and my left breast only gave out like a speck of milk and and my right one nothing. So I get the impression that its drying out, but I really hope I can get the supply back how I had it or even more.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this

How old is the baby? If you're a new mom you were probably huge the first week-ish because your milk just came in, then it evens out and you maintain the supply without as much visual proof. I was 3x the size of normal and solid as a rock for the first little while, and now mine are almost always soft, they only get hard these days if I miss a feeding or something. When you say you only got a speck of milk were you pumping or trying by hand? Have you been steadily nursing?How often?

It's probably not a supply issue, just keep nursing on demand and keep an eye on how many diapers you're going through.

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
How old is baby? How many diapers in 24hrs are you changing? Of those diapers how many poops, how many heavy wets, how many light wets? How often are you nursing? Does baby get any bottles and if so how many ozs per bottle are you giving? Are you pumping during the times those bottles are being given?

Odds are your supply is fine but we can't really help without these answers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hismrsramirez86:

Well my breast don't feel hard like the used to they are soft with no pain
GOOD! They're supposed to be that way. Hard and painful is bad bad bad bad bad. You want hard and painful gone as fast as you can get rid of it.
and my left breast only gave out like a speck of milk and and my right one nothing.
Means nothing.
So I get the impression that its drying out, but I really hope I can get the supply back how I had it or even more.
Just put baby to breast on demand. Leave baby there as LONG as baby wants to be there. If you're going to be away from baby, pump in the morning WHILE nursing... it boosts supply. Store that. No bottles unless you are not there. If you are in the same place as baby you nurse. No matter where, no matter how often/
Usually the biggest problems for new moms is scheduling feedings or letting dad feed when they are there. Dad feeds MOM and any other children.. not the nursling. Dad does everything BUT feed the nursdling... and he'll bond better. Really! Feeding isn't a great bonding tool but bathing and diapering is.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Nothing you've said describes low supply or drying up, your breasts are supposed to feel that way and pump output means nothing. :)
How old is baby? Have you been supplementing? How many diapers id baby having?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninascorpio
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Supplement for now, try to feed baby at breast for awhile first. Nursing is the best way to rebuild your supply. Your baby demands your body to produce more. I find that nursing my daughter as much as possible builds my supply the best. I tried organic milk maid tea to help increase my supply. It helps but tastes a lil nasty. I mix it with my herbal lemon zinger tea bag and honey for taste.  

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM
how old is your baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this

What tells you that she needs to supplement?

Quoting ninascorpio:

Supplement for now, try to feed baby at breast for awhile first. Nursing is the best way to rebuild your supply. Your baby demands your body to produce more. I find that nursing my daughter as much as possible builds my supply the best. I tried organic milk maid tea to help increase my supply. It helps but tastes a lil nasty. I mix it with my herbal lemon zinger tea bag and honey for taste.  

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I would avoid supplementing at all if you can.

Quoting ninascorpio:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)