Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn wants to nurse for hours on end, normal?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM
  • 29 Replies
I had my baby girl on Tuesday. Breast feeding has gone well. She latched in within minutes of being born. She's been going through hours where she just roots around. I'll feed her, make sure she's had plenty and she'll fall asleep at my breast. Then when I go to pull her away or lay her down she will wake up within 10 min and root around again. Is this normal? Is she using my breast as a pacifier? I wouldn't mind it so much except I have a toddler and a house and a hubby to take care of. Plus my nipples are getting raw even with creme. Would it interfere if I introduced a paci? I'm new at breast feeding completely and don't want to ruin what we have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymom6
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Its completely normal !!!

Thats what babies do and that is what establishes the milk supply. MIne did the same thing too.. Everytime I would go to lay her down she would wake up and wang to latch on..

DONT INTRODUCE A PACI !!! Your ss is just getting regulated and introducing one will only mess things up..Just try to take the nipple out as gently as possible so she doesnt wake up..Its hard but its better than introducing a paci and messing with supply.

The sore nipples will go away in a week or so..Keep using the lanoleum and the pain will go away as the baby gets a hang of what shes doing.

You are doing great...

SapphireMomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Completely. :)  She is getting your breasts used to the fact that you are now supplying nurishment.  It's called "custerfeeding" and "comfort nursing".  My son's record was 12 hours of it. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you need to, try a paci.  It may not work but it could help.  I also say, invest in a ring sling, wear that baby, let her nurse her heart out while you get things done. 

Congrats on the new little angel!

LHummel
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I used paci's and it didn't hurt my supply at all. I used soothies because they keep babies mouth open instead of closed like other brands.If you want to you can and there is no problem with it. I used them because I needed alittle bit of rest and my DD wanted to suck on something all day. She was not hungry all day she just was soothed by a paci and it helped her sleep. If she was hungry she'd spit out the paci. Some babies don't like paci's so if you try she may not want them. Pacifiers also have been said to reduce SIDS and its easier to break the paci habit then sucking on a finger or thumb. 

With the raw nipples make sure she's latching correctly every time. If you let her get lazy she'll stay lazy and hurt you more. If her latch is good great. You can use breastmilk on your nipples and let them air dry after each feeding. If they get painful or bleeding you can use nipple shields. I used them for two days and mine healed up. Once they were healed I stopped using them. If they get to the point they are cracked and bleeding you can use warm wet washcloths before each feeding. Thats what I did. 

Yes what she is doing is normal. Congrats on the baby and Yay for BF! Its something you and baby learn together. You can do it. Good luck. 

mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes totally  normal and she's not using you as a paci, those are mom replacements. They. Suck a lot for a reason, to bring in your supply, interrupting that with a paci can cause supply issues. You just had a baby, you need to rest, hubby can take care of himself and the house can wait. As for the other child invest in .a sling, it is a requirement for moms of more than one. As for the soreness latch may be off , has baby been checked for tongue tie? 

BabyFruit Ticker

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Normal! Try a sling or carrier so you don't have to put her down.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

My baby uses a paci just fine, some times baby's just wanna suck. And I've found breast milk to help a lot more then any nipple cream.

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal! It gets better soon!!!! Ur doing great!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds normal except:

1. If baby is latched well your nipples should not get sore or damaged.

2. Hold off on the pacifier until breastfeeding is well established as it could cause latching problems at this point.

3. Hubby should be taking care of YOU and the toddler while you are recovering from childbirth and getting nursing established. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Make sure baby has a good latch!

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”– Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance

Following are some of my favorite resources on latch and positioning:

Biological Nurturing: Laid-Back Breastfeeding from Dr. Suzanne Colson. Breastfeeding in a semi-reclined position can be very helpful for both mom and baby.

Newborn Hands: Why are they always in the way while breastfeeding? from the San Diego Breastfeeding Center

Latching handouts by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC

Breastfeeding: Off to the best start from the UK Department of Health
(Lovely latching pictures here, with simple directions.)

Deep Latch Technique from The Pump Station.
(Good latching pictures and directions.)

When Latching by Anne J. Barnes, has instructions with drawings
(The drawings and tips here are helpful.)

Latching videos by Dr. Jack Newman

Animation illustrating assymetrical latch technique by Victoria Nesterova
(Nice animation — text is in Russian.)

The Mother-Baby Dance: Positioning and Latch-On by Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
(This is a longish article written for breastfeeding counselors that has some nice descriptions of latching and positioning, along with info on why some things tend to work better than others.)

Is baby latching on and sucking efficiently? How to tell from AskDrSears.com
(A useful list.)

L-A-T-C-H-E-S * Breastfeeding Assessment Tool (for the first 4 weeks) and Scoring Key by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC
(A tool for professionals that could also be useful for moms who are wondering if breastfeeding is going fine and whether additional help is needed.)

Help for various nursing positions

Lactation yoga, or side-lying nursing without getting up to switch sides by Eva Lyford, @ 

Nursing Laying Down (step-by-step description with photos) from Mother-to-Mother.com

Some tips on the football & cross cradle nursing positions by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Some tips on nursing while lying down by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yep. One of the reasons we recommend destruction of clocks in your vicinity, so you're unaware of the amount of time spent nursing! **smile**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN