Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thinkin of callin it quits....

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 30 Replies

Idk what to do, this is the longest I've ever lasted with bf'ing (6months) I have 4 kids and the first 3 I seemed to mess it all up after 6wks and ended up formula feeding but with this little guy I was determined to get it right and so far I havee =) but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed I dont know if its from bf'ing really or if its more he is my hardest baby . I have him on me almost all day and night my husband is a great help but he works some long hours . Seth isn't like my other kids they were very content with toys and a bottle it was not really hard to catch a moment to myself even with 3 kids. With him though its totally opposite he does not like many toys for more than 2 min he seems to get bored and want "up" He likes to stand (me holding him up) and I thought he'd love a saucer/walker/bumbo seat....-_- no luck. He literally wants me to carry/hold him constantly and I have done the CIO thing he is like an energizer battery he can last and last...Idk I just started thinking maybe if I call it quits I can stick him on a bottle and hand him over to someone else (or he can hold it himself) I thought of pumping but everytime I've done that in the past my milk has ended up dying up? idk what to do I wanted to last atleast a yr =/

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM
You have to do what's right for you. Changing him to formula does NOTHING to guarantee he'll magically grow independent. He's not your other children and may be a little higher needs. Do you have a wrap or an Ergo you can carry him in? That may be super useful. You could even nurse him in either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
4 moms liked this
This isn't a "feeding method" problem, you just have a higher needs baby (Dr. Sears has great articles on high needs babies, definitely look it up). What I like to tell moms in this situation is imagine how much harder it would be with a high needs baby having to constantly make and wash bottles. If baby os hungry, popping a boob in his mouth is much less stressful than a screaming baby waiting for a bottle.
Sounds like you need some mama time! Nurse him right before you leave, go out for a couple of hours, and nurse as soon as you come home, no bottle needed! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
a switch to formula may make things worse, keep that in mind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryLittleLola
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I actually just caught that post! Im googleing them now I think this might be something I NEED!

Quoting Duquesne:

You have to do what's right for you. Changing him to formula does NOTHING to guarantee he'll magically grow independent. He's not your other children and may be a little higher needs. Do you have a wrap or an Ergo you can carry him in? That may be super useful. You could even nurse him in either.

AngryLittleLola
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I do agree this is why I haven't put him on formula I just get so overwhelmed  start thinking maybe if I pop a bottle in his mouth he'll magically chill out n not be so needy......sounds insane when im thinking rationally lol

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

This isn't a "feeding method" problem, you just have a higher needs baby (Dr. Sears has great articles on high needs babies, definitely look it up). What I like to tell moms in this situation is imagine how much harder it would be with a high needs baby having to constantly make and wash bottles. If baby os hungry, popping a boob in his mouth is much less stressful than a screaming baby waiting for a bottle.
Sounds like you need some mama time! Nurse him right before you leave, go out for a couple of hours, and nurse as soon as you come home, no bottle needed! :)

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Weaning will not make a high needs baby an independent one. Believe me, as a mom of a couple high needs kiddos, time is the only 'cure'. Investing in a carrier was a sanity saver for me!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AngryLittleLola
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

This is a big fear i have

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
well dont switch then
he will not always be like this, he will be independent and running around before you know it.

Quoting AngryLittleLola:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryLittleLola
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

very tru =) its not all bad either I mean I have loved dong it this time around and I have done so good ! I love his little face when he nurses he is the sweetest thing ever but he is the most needy little thing I have ever met LOL I keep hoping to find something he likes maybe a jumproo? My 9yr old DD will hold him and play with him while I wash dishes and thats a big big help but her and my 7yr old DD are in school so for that time period I can hardly get anything done (I do most my cleaning holding him) but my back is starting to ache badly from it ( I have rods from an accident in 04) and he is 18lbs now!

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

well dont switch then
he will not always be like this, he will be independent and running around before you know it.

Quoting AngryLittleLola:

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs)) mama, you'd be surprised at how many moms come in here with the same feelings! High needs babies are very hard! Definitely try to get someone to watch him for an hour or 2 so you don't have to worry about pumping or bottles and you can get out of the house for a bit. :)
Quoting AngryLittleLola:

I do agree this is why I haven't put him on formula I just get so overwhelmed  start thinking maybe if I pop a bottle in his mouth he'll magically chill out n not be so needy......sounds insane when im thinking rationally lol

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)