Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

All i wanted

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this
Last night after making my pain post, was to give in and give her a bottle. Instead, I latched her on anyway and tried not to cry too loud. Yay, willpower. With DS I gave up the second day and started bottlefeeding, and we didn't make it past 3 months breastfeeding. Im going to try a few new positions today and see if we can't get that latch fixed. Wish us luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngryLittleLola
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

the 1st 8 wks were hell foe me but 6mo later were doing good! Keep at it =) thank god for this group anytime I feel like I cant do it anymore I come in here and by the end of it I feel sooooo much better!!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Yuo can do it momma!! Stick with it!

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Good for you for keeping at it! It really does get easier, have you talked to a lactation consultant? You can set up a session with one and they'll help you perfect the latch.

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

This!!! Ask for help! It will get easier. And pain free!!!!!

Quoting Zazayam:

Good for you for keeping at it! It really does get easier, have you talked to a lactation consultant? You can set up a session with one and they'll help you perfect the latch.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this
What helped me big time was I let her lath on herself. All I do is put nipple in front, brush it on her lips or cheek and she latches on. That eliminated all problems. Someone here suggested I do that :D
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”– Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance

Following are some of my favorite resources on latch and positioning:

Biological Nurturing: Laid-Back Breastfeeding from Dr. Suzanne Colson. Breastfeeding in a semi-reclined position can be very helpful for both mom and baby.

Newborn Hands: Why are they always in the way while breastfeeding? from the San Diego Breastfeeding Center

Latching handouts by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC

Breastfeeding: Off to the best start from the UK Department of Health
(Lovely latching pictures here, with simple directions.)

Deep Latch Technique from The Pump Station.
(Good latching pictures and directions.)

When Latching by Anne J. Barnes, has instructions with drawings
(The drawings and tips here are helpful.)

Latching videos by Dr. Jack Newman

Animation illustrating assymetrical latch technique by Victoria Nesterova
(Nice animation — text is in Russian.)

The Mother-Baby Dance: Positioning and Latch-On by Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
(This is a longish article written for breastfeeding counselors that has some nice descriptions of latching and positioning, along with info on why some things tend to work better than others.)

Is baby latching on and sucking efficiently? How to tell from AskDrSears.com
(A useful list.)

L-A-T-C-H-E-S * Breastfeeding Assessment Tool (for the first 4 weeks) and Scoring Key by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC
(A tool for professionals that could also be useful for moms who are wondering if breastfeeding is going fine and whether additional help is needed.)

Help for various nursing positions

Lactation yoga, or side-lying nursing without getting up to switch sides by Eva Lyford, @ 

Nursing Laying Down (step-by-step description with photos) from Mother-to-Mother.com

Some tips on the football & cross cradle nursing positions by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Some tips on nursing while lying down by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Great video of baby latching (aim nipple for baby's nose, baby's chin to your breast)

http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com/animatedlatch.html

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I am breastfeeding my second right now and his latch took some work for both of us. I would put breast milk on my nipple to help guide him to the boob. It worked for me. About 6 weeks he finally had his latch perfected. You could also try skin to skin. We still do that.
PEEK05
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Good luck. You can do it. :)

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Keep working on latch and position.. you can do this! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)