Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ugh, nipple won't heal - finally broke skin and drew blood

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 22 Replies
I've checked out Kellymom for tips on healing a nipple injury but wondering what you ladies have done.

My 8 month old is a biter. He has been biting me for a while and nothing I've done has helped. He has two sharp bottom teeth now and he got me good a week ago. Every time he feeds it's horrible. Water hitting it hurts, even just having a bra on hurts. I can't see anything wrong with it though. No cracks or visible injury. I would try and go braless but it is pierced and lets down all the time.

Any thoughts?

ETA - he bit me so hard tonight that he broke the skin and it bled a little. He refused to nurse with the shield and bit me. I've got a shell on right now woth a dab of neosporin. I've already tried BM and coconut oil prev
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LHummel
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I used nipple sheilds when feeding to heal. You can get protectors/shells I think they are called that you can wear with your bra that keep the bra off the nipple. And if you are having leaking issues then use breast pads to absorb.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I am using breast pads. I have to wear a bra in order to use them so that is all I meant about I have to wear a bra.

I think I still have a shield somewhere and possibly a shell or two. I'll give that a shot and see if that works. Thanks for the ideas :)

Quoting LHummel:

I used nipple sheilds when feeding to heal. You can get protectors/shells I think they are called that you can wear with your bra that keep the bra off the nipple. And if you are having leaking issues then use breast pads to absorb.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I would do a sheild untill it feels better.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Shells and shields are what I would suggest. Have you put your milk on it? It has great healing properties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:13 AM
So I tried that and he flipped out and bit me. He doesn't like artificial nipples ;(

Quoting PolishMamma2:

I would do a sheild untill it feels better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM
I've tried milk, coconut oil, and now neosporin because he finally broke skin and drew blood tonight.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Shells and shields are what I would suggest. Have you put your milk on it? It has great healing properties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM
My fourth was a stubborn biter. But she was also a nursing addict so if she bit, I put her down and told her "ouch, that hurt mama, no biting, only milk" and I walked away to do something else. No nursing and definitely no solids for a good 10-15 minutes (and still no solids ever until good nursing session was done). Another bite would be met the same way. If the alternative is starving the baby will not bite.

Only once did I have an issue with broken skin, when she was a little older, like 15 months, and rolled off my lap without unlatching. I used a tiny bit of lanolin and took that breast off duty or lighter dutyfor a couple days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM

It sounds like too shallow of a latch maybe? Is his mouth wide open enough to cover the entire areola? If it is, then it doesn't seem like he would be in the right position to be able to bite. A lot of women experience pain because their child is only latched onto the nipple.

legobaby
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I used shells with my first, but I don't like how they look under the shirt, even with a padded bra on. I still felt like they gave me an ugly shape. ;)

With my second, I was super messed up when she was a newborn. Both my nipples were cracked and bleeding, and the right one still has a scar (sort of looks like a pit) where there was such a huge indent from being cracked so badly. She would spit up blood sometimes. With her, I would put some breast milk on it for the anti-infection properties, then I would put on a LOT of Lansinoh. I know they say to only use a little, but that wasn't enough to soothe it. Then, I would put on breast pads to keep the goo off my bra. I'd have to wipe off the excess before feeding a because there was so much on there, but the research on cuts says moisture healing works best.

A friend of mine had to ice hers before each feeding to help tolerate it. I never tried that, but I would have if I had thought of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN