Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long can you go with out a pump?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

So our insurance will cover a pump after my deductible is met but it wont be met until after labor and delivery... So how long can I go with out a pump? Would it be a good idea if I got a manual pump in the mean time... Also I will be returning to work as soon as the dr ok's it... Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Im a first timer here I couldnt feed my DD breast milk cuz she got sick and i listened to others stupidity cuz I thought that was the cause... But I really  want to try my hardest and succeed this time around...

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I never needdd a pump, but some hospitals give manual pumps. I dont think its necessary until.you return to work, maybe a few days ahead of that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You'll want to start pumping at least 2 weeks before you go back to work. So, if you will be home for 6 weeks then getting a pump a few weeks after baby arrives will be fine.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM
pumps arent necessary unless you are returning to work. all you need are your breasts and baby's mouth!
when you go back to work, then you need to worry about getting a pump. Why are you thinking you will need one before then?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I didn't use a pump from 2 months until I weaned him at 25 moths.

rainbowbabe220
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:57 AM
To get a supply gping so she has milk for while im working

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

pumps arent necessary unless you are returning to work. all you need are your breasts and baby's mouth!

when you go back to work, then you need to worry about getting a pump. Why are you thinking you will need one before then?
Sprtam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:08 AM
You can rent one from your hospital by the week until you get yours.
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM
I didn't need the pump until the week before I went back to work. Personally, I'd put it off as long as possible. I loathe the pump.

I'm officially weaned from the pump at work and I'm SO happy about it.
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:26 AM
You don't need much, and baby is the best at removing milk, which triggers production. It's best for baby to be at the breast. :)

kelkymom.com has a lot of good information. Baby should get 1-1.25 oz per hour of separation, in no larger than three ounce bottles. That number won't change with age or weight, and I highly recommend following that guideline for long term success working and nursing.

Quoting rainbowbabe220:

To get a supply gping so she has milk for while im working

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

prettymommylove
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:33 AM

No need to have it immediately. Try the whole pump by day. pump enough for day one in the week before and pump for day two on day one, 2 on 3, 3 on 4 while you're at work and so on. Only 1 to 1.25 oz per hr of separation in no larger than 3 oz a bottle to prevent from overfeeding, which tends to happen with a large stash. I rarely even use mine, though I only do for when I have to leave for this errand or that, which I can't take her.

heatherd09
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I didn't get a pump until my son was a month old and I didn't necessarily need it, I just got it to start building up a stash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)