Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How Fast Does Breastmilk Digest? Advice Needed!!!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

How fast does breastmilk digest?

Aiden (21 months) has anesthesia for a dental procedure on the 7th. He'll be going in at 5:20 am. They said no breastmilk after midnight, but he can have water until 3:30?

Can I go ahead and nurse him safely at 3, or does he have to go hungry?? He usually has a feeding around 2 or 3 am and he's NOT gonna be a happy baby if the boobies are gone...

Also, he is a short nurser. Gets maybe an ounce at nighttime feedings, and nurses for about 2 minutes. It's likely that he's only getting foremilk (when I express it after a feeding, its BARELY starting to change to the creamy hindmilk). Is this watery enough that it would digest quickly?

What do you suggest??
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Here are the Academy of Breastfeeeding Medicine protocols for pre-operative fasting before surgery in breastfed infants:

http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Protocols/Protocol25_English_080312.pdf

They say no breastmilk for 4 hours before surgery.

Paradys
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
If he can have water till 3 am then he can have breastmilk till3 am.
Most dr's, who are uneducated in breastfeeding, assume breastmilk is the same as cow's milk.....it's not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Paradys:

If he can have water till 3 am then he can have breastmilk till3 am.
Most dr's, who are uneducated in breastfeeding, assume breastmilk is the same as cow's milk.....it's not.

Thank you!!!! This is what I thought! I mean it digests SO FAST, it shouldn't bother his procedure at all. And he's gone a couple hours, but that 3am feeding is the only thing that keeps him sleeping. Otherwise he wakes up PISSED and BEGGING me for boobies. I can't do that to him...

victoriangavin
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I tried to follow the rules when Gavin had to be completely put under at 3 months but he was starving and only 3 months old..... I caved and fibbed to the doctor figuring it's breastmilk so it's ok, he did great :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid. What is wrong with our medical community that they don't know that? Breastfeed him as usual that morning. And good luck with the procedure! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM

it's not even that it digests quickly- what many drs don't understand is that breastmilk is considered a clear liquid, and is not like drinking a glass of any other milk :)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Here are the Academy of Breastfeeeding Medicine protocols for pre-operative fasting before surgery in breastfed infants:

IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Quoting victoriangavin:

I tried to follow the rules when Gavin had to be completely put under at 3 months but he was starving and only 3 months old..... I caved and fibbed to the doctor figuring it's breastmilk so it's ok, he did great :)

This is SO reassuring! Thank you!

IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM

thank you thank you!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid. What is wrong with our medical community that they don't know that? Breastfeed him as usual that morning. And good luck with the procedure! :)

IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

But it's not surgery? Just cavities being filled.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM

That is for general anethesia (it doesn't really matter why, dental work, surgery, etc.). The protocol actually lists several different levels of sedation, but for GA, they day 4 hrs.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

But it's not surgery? Just cavities being filled.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)