Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is there any harm in trying?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 22 Replies

I know I have posted before that I suspect my supply is getting low but yesterday at my DD's 6 month check up I was telling her Dr about it and she says it sounds like I am drying up (that was how she put it) and mentioned my BC could be causing it...I was using the Mirena from October until this past Monday (to many cramps, migraines and anxiety) and then was put on the Nuva Ring. My DD's Dr suggested that my Dr can prescribe me a medication to help.  The low supply concern started in January, although my LO  is gaining weight BUT I have been giving her an occasional bottle when she just doesn't seem satisfied and she gets them when I am at work.  I no longer re act to using a pump, so first question, do I still need to be doing that?  Also, I have been just looking up info here and there about help with increasing supply....I nurse on demand, other than the times I have mentioned,  I get plenty of fluids and my diet, well, is pretty good.  Sleep, as we all know, doesn't come easy but I rest when I can and try to stay out of stressful situations, but I have been under some stress, but really, who isn't?...I have run across many articles about  taking fenugreek...so would it hurt to try? Should I try? Has anyone ever taking that herb  before and if so, were your results good?  I have been determined to BF my babe and have gone thru some obstacles that have made me almost give up, (couldn't latch properly, a lactationist who behaved like a bully,lots of pumping, lots of crying, a nipple shield for about 6 weeks and finally we did it!)  I just hate to have come all this way and be getting low and eventually can no longer BF...so, what should I do? 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM
If her diaper count is fine then there is no need to supplement or increase supply. How many diapers does she go through in 24 hours?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I would stop Nuva ring if you think it's affecting your supply. That's your best bet. Also, if bang is gaming weight and having diapers, your supply is fine. And stop bottles at home when you think she's not 'satisfied'. That WILL hurt your supply. Put her back in the breast.
newmom1978
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

roughly 8, but  I have noticed some arent as wet as others which has  me concerned a little, too

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
When she is given a bottle, how much is she taking? It doesn't sound like you are drying up at all.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting newmom1978:

roughly 8, but  I have noticed some arent as wet as others which has  me concerned a little, too

Pour 4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper. Feel how much that weighs and how squishy that is. That is what 1 diaper should be. Anything more and it counts as 2 diapers.
newmom1978
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

between 4 oz and 5 oz

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Excuse my typos. NAK.

That's Wayyyy too much. No more than 3 z every 3 hrs.

Quoting newmom1978:

between 4 oz and 5 oz

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Quoting newmom1978:

between 4 oz and 5 oz

A bf baby should get bottles no larger than 3 oz. they need 1-1.25 oz per hour separation.
QuickMomma
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM
It will help as long as you are not to stressed.I started a couple weeks ago and started blessed thistle this week.My supply did go way down due to stress which I originally thought was candida causing my supply issue but its stress related plus for whatever reason my son has become a lazy nurser so now I try to awake him since he falls asleep after nursing for a minute.Just yesterday I pumped and was stressed couldnt even get much at all but this morning I pumped and got almost an ounce :) I am going to give it to him by using a syringe.He needs it cause his tummy is awfully skinny and saggy skinned same with his chest.His diaper count Somedays are low and he has had orange crystals in his urine.You will do just fine by taking it if you want!
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Stop the nuvaring ASAP. It has estrogen which WILL kill your supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)