Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding and pregnant

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have a 16mo and still b/f all the time and just found out we are expecting. First question is there any other moms in here that chose to still b/f while pregnant? Second my breast aren't sore and I remember the first trimester they hurt so bad last time. My husband says he thinks its because i already have milk in there so my ducks aren't forming...does anyone know? I cant get into my doctor for 2 1/2 weeks but will be asking him a zillion questions once i get in there.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Idk, but I'm also breastfeeding my 18 month old and I'm 11 weeks pregnant with # 2, no breast tenderness yet...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenKC
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I downloaded the baby center app and one of the things it said I should be feeling is tenderness and just made me think. do you plan on nursing your older on to a certain point or let them stop when they are ready?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Idk, but I'm also breastfeeding my 18 month old and I'm 11 weeks pregnant with # 2, no breast tenderness yet...

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Dr's aren't good for telling you facts about nursing while pregnant. Most tell you to wean which is completely unnecessary unless you have a history of preterm labor.

I nursed through my second pregnancy and went on to nurse both my toddler and my newborn until my toddler weaned at 3.5 yrs old. My second then went on to nurse alone until 2.5yrs old. It is safe and possible. I also nursed through one miscarriage which nursing will NOT cause.

You may experience a dip in supply, nursing aversions, and other discomforts. Most galactogogues that are normally safe, aren't during pregnancy so if you take anything like fenugreek, stop. :) If you have a Facebook please feel free to join us in the Pregnant and/or Tandem Breastfeeders group. A lot of us have been successful. :)

I would also suggest getting the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing.

Congrats and good luck!

And the soreness doesn't have much to do with still nursing. Different pregnancies come with different symptoms, nursing or not. :) That's normal too but not linked to nursing.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I plan on letting DS self-wean. I also remember having very tender, aching. breasts last time around.

Quoting KristenKC:

I downloaded the baby center app and one of the things it said I should be feeling is tenderness and just made me think. do you plan on nursing your older on to a certain point or let them stop when they are ready?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

KristenKC
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I haven't told anyone other that cafe mom that we have one on the way and going to try to hold off till may when we are in the clear of miscarriage so wont be able to look for you on f/b till then. Thank you so much for this helpful info!!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Dr's aren't good for telling you facts about nursing while pregnant. Most tell you to wean which is completely unnecessary unless you have a history of preterm labor.

I nursed through my second pregnancy and went on to nurse both my toddler and my newborn until my toddler weaned at 3.5 yrs old. My second then went on to nurse alone until 2.5yrs old. It is safe and possible. I also nursed through one miscarriage which nursing will NOT cause.

You may experience a dip in supply, nursing aversions, and other discomforts. Most galactogogues that are normally safe, aren't during pregnancy so if you take anything like fenugreek, stop. :) If you have a Facebook please feel free to join us in the Pregnant and/or Tandem Breastfeeders group. A lot of us have been successful. :)

Congrats and good luck!

And the soreness doesn't have much to do with still nursing. Different pregnancies come with different symptoms, nursing or not. :) That's normal too but not linked to nursing.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
It's a closed group. No one can see it unless they look for it. :) and even then they can't see what you post or reply. :)

Join whenever. We always love new members. :) There is a cafe mom group too but it's not as active

We don't announce until after 12 wks or so either.

Quoting KristenKC:

I haven't told anyone other that cafe mom that we have one on the way and going to try to hold off till may when we are in the clear of miscarriage so wont be able to look for you on f/b till then. Thank you so much for this helpful info!!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Congrats and good luck!

KristenKC
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

sent my request thanks! I just didn't want it to say on my feed that I joined a pregnant group....that would give it away

Quoting MaryJarrett:

It's a closed group. No one can see it unless they look for it. :) and even then they can't see what you post or reply. :)

Join whenever. We always love new members. :) There is a cafe mom group too but it's not as active

We don't announce until after 12 wks or so either.

Quoting KristenKC:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Congrats and good luck!

ckroch
by Colleen on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I'm 35 weeks & still nursing my 14 month old.. But only 1-2 times a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Yes, I did.  However, 4 months into my pregnancy, my son weaned himself when my milk changed from mature milk to colostrum. :( I was devastated because we did not meet the minimum of 2 years that was our goal.

My nipples never hurt with any of my pregnancies, breastfeeding or not.  I think it just depends on the pregnancy.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Your milk ducts don't unform--once they develop they are always there. You may develop the nipple tenderness in a few weeks. I nursed all the way through my second pregnancy and tandem nursed for some time after my second was born. I reverted to colostrum in my third trimester, but it didn't seem to affect my son's nursing pattern. However, he was older than your firstborn. Be wary of any breastfeeding information from your doctor. Lots of them are horrified by nursing through pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)