Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

he gave DS formula :(

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 76 Replies

i know it's not a big deal but I'm kinda bummed. I had to run to town and DH wanted to watch Ry while I was gone so I pumped a bottle and stuck it in the fridge.

When I got back DH said he had to throw my expressedmilk away because It had seperated (I guess he didn't know he had to mix it up) and gave him a bottle of formula (We had a can from the hospital still in the pantry but I'd never even opened it)instead.

I know its not a big deal but I don't know why it hurt my feelings.

Ry Bug was fed, that's what matters, right?

ETA: Ok, we had formula because, as I said, the hospital gave it to us. I put it in the pantry...I don't know why. I guess I was nervous in the beginning if I would be able to BF but once I got the hang of it I just forgot about it. DH didn't call because we don't have cell phones. IDK why...we just never really used then and it seemed pointless for such a huge bill. I explained how to fix the bottle but I didn't tell him that it would separate. I don't blame him, he fed the baby when he was hungry. As far as this virgin gut thing, I think I ruined that his first week when I stated giving him vit d supplement. But he has been his normal happy, drooly, talkative self all day. His poo didn't even look different.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Humanoid
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks D: Does he know now what to do with the breastmilk though?

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Aww... I'd be upset too. I would probably cry.

He will be okay though and Daddy did what he felt he had to.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

DH needs to know the risks of giving even one bottle of formula to an EBF baby. Google just one bottle won't hurt.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

It would be a big deal to me.  Google "virgin gut".  One bottle can be harmful.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
This. I would be very upset.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

DH needs to know the risks of giving even one bottle of formula to an EBF baby. Google just one bottle won't hurt.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Print off the information from kellymom.com about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby and leave it with him. It explains the whole procedure.
sbreece
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It's formula not baby food or rice cereal. It won't hurt baby to have formula. It may hurt your supply and it may cause confusion or a preference. But it won't hurt baby's tummy. The only way it would hurt is if baby has a dairy allergy. Most formulas are milk based.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Formula ruins the virgin gut.

Quoting sbreece:

It's formula not baby food or rice cereal. It won't hurt baby to have formula. It may hurt your supply and it may cause confusion or a preference. But it won't hurt baby's tummy. The only way it would hurt is if baby has a dairy allergy. Most formulas are milk based.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Actually, formula CAN hurt baby's tummy by disturbing the bacterial balance in the digestive system. Lots of babies are hurt by formula - this isn't formula-bashing, it's fact.

Quoting sbreece:

Quoting cabrandy03:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I'd be extremely upset. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)