Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

advice for older infant help

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
My sister nursed her kids until 2 and one of hers selfweaned at 26 months. I value her advice but I think she might be giving me bad advice. Help give me good advice please!

I have a 10 month old. Im going back to work. My son eats very very little solids. Sometimes none for days. I nurse about every 3-4 hrs and he still nurses to sleep. My work hours are part time and I'm a nurse. Here's what she said....
"You won't have to pump at work at all. He eats real food and in a couple months he will want real meals. So you don't need an emergency stash of breastmilk. "

My impression was, I need to feed him before I leave and pump on the way. Then 3-4 hours later pump. Then feed when I get back home with him as usual. Even after the age of one ! I figured I'd nurse or give him my milk before any solids. Help me figure out what is a good thing to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Oh and I need recommendations on pumps. I have a medela double that's a hand me down from my sister... But its like 5 years old now and I fear the mold issue with it. So any suggestions ?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ignore her. You had it right in the first place.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ameda purely yours.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Look first at kellymom.com for information on pumping, storage, and bottlefeeding the breastfed baby. He will need 1-1.5 ounces for each hour you're away, in bottles no larger than 3 ounces. Burp after each ounce. Pump every 3 hours while you're away . Once your baby passes his first birthday you may not need to pump as much.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM
From what I've tea you pump as often a he eats.

However your work does not legally have to allow you pump breaks after 1 year in a lot of places...

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
You should pump & leave milk until at least age 1. I don't know what you mean by 'pump on the way' but I wouldn't pump while driving or anything.

My friend just used her regular breaks to pump both before & after the age of 1 & sent milk in with her daughter until like 15 months or something. I started dropping DS off at daycare 1 day a week for work at 14.5 months old & didn't pump for him but hand expressed for my comfort sometimes.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Your plan sounds good to me, you can ajust your schedual as he gets older or you see that you dont need as much...

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thanks everyone!!!!! I will pump as often as I nurse. After a year, I'll pump as often as I nurse at that point lol. 

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I didn't stop pumping at work until ODD was down to nursing twice a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)