Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

EBF mom's what would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 9 week old will not take a bottle. I would love to go get my hair done (takes 25-30mins to get to the salon and will probably take about 2 hours or a little more so we're talking around 3 hours). My question is what do you think I should do? I don't feel comfortable taking her to the salon with the chemicals and the germs. My husband told me to just leave her home with him, but she eats like every 1 1/2 to 2 hours so she would be sooooo hungry by the time I got home and I don't want to do that to her (or him for that matter. I can see her crying almost the entire time). Another option I was thinking about was to have him come with me and walk around the mall with her until she gets hungry then I can feed her and he can resume what he was doing, but he hates this idea for many reasons lol. I really wish she would take a bottle just for times like this, but I'm not going to force the issue. I don't mind her being EBF otherwise. I will continue to try giving her a bottle, but I just don't see her taking it lol (stubborn like her mama!). 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it just you trying the bottle? Go away and make daddy try. I would start with a shorter trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting LilliansMama27:

My 9 week old will not take a bottle.

Are you in the vicinity when it's given? If so, she'll never take it. You need to be GONE.

I would love to go get my hair done (takes 25-30mins to get to the salon and will probably take about 2 hours or a little more so we're talking around 3 hours). My question is what do you think I should do?

Hand baby to caregiver... LEAVE.

I don't feel comfortable taking her to the salon with the chemicals and the germs. My husband told me to just leave her home with him,

He's right And if she gets hungry when you're gone she'll eat. Self-starvation is not an infant concept. They will eat when truly hungry. 

If you are offering the bottle, baby thinks you're nuts, offering a stale bread cube when you have a big feast RIGHT THERE.

but she eats like every 1 1/2 to 2 hours so she would be sooooo hungry by the time I got home and I don't want to do that to her (or him for that matter. I can see her crying almost the entire time).

Very likely she won't really even notice you're gone. It's a real kick int he pants when that happens!

Another option I was thinking about was to have him come with me and walk around the mall with her until she gets hungry then I can feed her and he can resume what he was doing, but he hates this idea for many reasons lol. I really wish she would take a bottle just for times like this, but I'm not going to force the issue. I don't mind her being EBF otherwise. I will continue to try giving her a bottle, but I just don't see her taking it lol (stubborn like her mama!). 

Relax. Hand baby to dad. GO. There's no reason to make it complex.

And YOU are never to have anythign to do with Operation Bottle except to provide the pumped milk. Most breastfed babies will refuse bottles from mom.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I probably wouldn't get my hair done but that's just me, lol.

Otherwise I like the PPs suggestion.  Start with shorter trips and then increase them and hope that it works out I guess.

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You do need to force the issue-it's what is best for the baby. If Hubby is willing-hand her over and go-she will be much more likely to take a bottle with you not there.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
If she's hungry, she'll eat. If she refuses, it's not a big deal! Daddy can also try using a medicine dropper/syringe, small open cup, or a sippy cup with the inside valve removed. Bottles are never needed. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

She might take a bottle if you aren't around and it isn't coming from you. 

Personally, I'd have him come with me, nurse before, nurse right away and that way drive time isn't adding another hour on it. But I also don't leave my babies very much in the beginning.

NHGal
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

And the first type of bottle you try may not work.  With DD1, it took trying 3 types of bottles before we found one she would take.  DD2, she doesn't care how she gets her milk.

If you are trying to give her the bottle, it isn't going to work.  Or if you are in the vicinity.  The worse thing that will happen while you are gone is that she will cry and be hungry, but all will be forgotten quickly.

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

All very good points! Thanks :)

I only tried giving her a bottle twice. My husband has tried multiple times, but I have been home (upstairs while they are downstairs). I think it's a good idea for me to try a shorter trip first. And if she doesn't notice I'm gone for the salon trip I will be soooooo happy!!! :)

I'm actually going to try to go back to my natural blonde (as close as possible) so I won't have to go back to the salon as often. Low maintence is my goal!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting LilliansMama27:

My 9 week old will not take a bottle.

Are you in the vicinity when it's given? If so, she'll never take it. You need to be GONE.

I would love to go get my hair done (takes 25-30mins to get to the salon and will probably take about 2 hours or a little more so we're talking around 3 hours). My question is what do you think I should do?

Hand baby to caregiver... LEAVE.

I don't feel comfortable taking her to the salon with the chemicals and the germs. My husband told me to just leave her home with him,

He's right And if she gets hungry when you're gone she'll eat. Self-starvation is not an infant concept. They will eat when truly hungry. 

If you are offering the bottle, baby thinks you're nuts, offering a stale bread cube when you have a big feast RIGHT THERE.

but she eats like every 1 1/2 to 2 hours so she would be sooooo hungry by the time I got home and I don't want to do that to her (or him for that matter. I can see her crying almost the entire time).

Very likely she won't really even notice you're gone. It's a real kick int he pants when that happens!

Another option I was thinking about was to have him come with me and walk around the mall with her until she gets hungry then I can feed her and he can resume what he was doing, but he hates this idea for many reasons lol. I really wish she would take a bottle just for times like this, but I'm not going to force the issue. I don't mind her being EBF otherwise. I will continue to try giving her a bottle, but I just don't see her taking it lol (stubborn like her mama!). 

Relax. Hand baby to dad. GO. There's no reason to make it complex.

And YOU are never to have anythign to do with Operation Bottle except to provide the pumped milk. Most breastfed babies will refuse bottles from mom.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I actually took my little ones to the salon with me. I remember getting a foot of hair cut off with Audrey (now 9) under the cape breastfeeding. Her medical issues are not related to that visit. I don't worry about germs. Chemicals...it is a short one time visit and the places I go don't have horrible stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilliansMama27
by Candy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

He's tried 3 different bottles. One she did keep in her mouth and play with as opposed to the other 2 where she pushed them away and fought the whole time. I do have one more type of bottle we could use, but I don't think she'll like it (its very similar to one we've already tried).

Quoting NHGal:

And the first type of bottle you try may not work.  With DD1, it took trying 3 types of bottles before we found one she would take.  DD2, she doesn't care how she gets her milk.

If you are trying to give her the bottle, it isn't going to work.  Or if you are in the vicinity.  The worse thing that will happen while you are gone is that she will cry and be hungry, but all will be forgotten quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN