Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nipple Shield

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
Long story short, my nipples won't elongate enough for baby to want to nurse. After many, many attempts; with my sweet princess acting like I was trying to poke her with a pitchfork lol (she screamed like a banshee everytime I tried nursing her), I was given a nipple shield. She nurses fine but obviously I read about the cons of using a shield and would like to wean her from it. I already looked on kellymom and have tried several things to no avail. So, I wanted to come here and ask you wonderful ladies for advice. Help, please?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsAmundson23
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Bump!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM
What you should've been handed were nipples SHELLS, not shields. Shields are for damaged nipples, shells are worn while not nursing and they draw out your nipples.
As for weaning from the shield, I'll let a more experienced mama answer that for you, I've never had to use one. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

What you should've been handed were nipples SHELLS, not shields. Shields are for damaged nipples, shells are worn while not nursing and they draw out your nipples.
As for weaning from the shield, I'll let a more experienced mama answer that for you, I've never had to use one. :)

Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Well, the lactation consultant is the one who recommended it. Baby girl was obviously hungry and I had attempted to nurse with assistance all day with no success. I had resorted to pumping and giving her a bottle. The next day was a repeat and I did NOT want to give her another bottle, my nurse called the consultant and this was her suggestion.

Quoting shortyali:

This.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

JEmery
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I have used a nipple shield my last 3 babies. We never had issues with weight because of the shield. The first 2 I used it for I tried to wean them early on from the shield and didn't make it very long. With my last we weaned off the shield when she was ready and she is still nursing strong at 16 months.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Start by trying to take it of about 3/4 of the way through the feeding. Spend lots of time skin to skin with baby (let baby nap on your bare chest in only a diaper, watch for baby to start to stir and root for the breast before he is really awake yet, he may latch w/o the shield at that point)

Be patient and keep trying!

CassaNova
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM
My nipples were inverted and not long either at first too. What worked for me was grabbing the top and bottom of the areola around the nipples and pressing it together kinda squeezing the nipple down and putting the nipple in her mouth
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

i'll be trying both, whatever will work, when baby is here. i have this lil nipple pump that draws out the nipple, i think they sell that at babies r us. let me tell u, i tried it (before becoming pregnant) and man did it draw them out!

i also have flat/inverted nipples :(

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

One more thing. Elongated nipples are not necessary. It merely means you have to get baby's mouth open wider and you have to be proactive in piushing the nipple into baby's mouth. 

Try the booby sandwich. Compress the breast tissue in a c-hold. Brush baby's lips in an up and down motion, saying, "Open WIDE." Open your own mouth WIDE as you do this. Baby will mimic you. When baby opens wide, push the nipple in as far as you can. Bring baby up toward the nipple. Yes, it will feel like you're smothering. No, you aren't smothering. Infant noses are designed to handle this.

I have flat as a pancake nipples. Nothing elongated them ever. Breast shells helped them poke out a bit.

> is not needed. Nice, nut not needed. ) is fine. So is }. You can breastfeed with all those varieties... it just takes more work on mom's part to get most of the aereola in the mouth.

louzannalady
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Here is my story with using a nipple shield. It worked well. I now know about shells. If I had known about them, it would have decreased the amount of time I needed to use the shield.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17532939/My_experiences_with_flat_nipples_using_an_nipple_shield?use_mobile=0
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)