Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weening an older baby

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 16 months and still very attached to nursing. She nurses right when waking up, for morning and afternoon naps, bedtime, and in the night when she wakes. She isn't very verbal yet but she makes it very clear she wants to nurse and I don't offer unless she "asks" I'd really like to cut back her nursing. She basically nurses to sooth herself to sleep. Any ideas/tips to make it easier?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. My little one is only a year, and he nurses 18,739 times a day...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
At that age she won't naturally wean with much happy cooperation. You can set limits and stick to them: only at home, only during Dora, only in the rocking chair. And you can offer exciting distractions (much easier in the summer when you can just say, let's go sidewalk chalk, lets do bubbles. Unless you are fortunate enough to live somewhere really warm ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
You can start with delaying. If she asks, say after this or that. Example, after I'm done cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry or after this tv show. Toddlers being toddlers will forget they even asked and move on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

This article has some good info on nightweaning:

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Work on moving nursing AWAY from sleeping and helping baby find a new way to comfort herself
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)