Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Totally awkward question

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 9 Replies

If you have herpes and your nipple bleeds can you still feed your baby?

One of my close friends found out that her husband cheat and she has a 3 month old son.

She is spinning a million and one ideas in her head and this was one of the things she said.

she is also worried about anything that could pass to baby. (her husband told her by telling her to get tested. yeah prick much!

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Did she get tested?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM

If its a an open sore she should not nurse on that breast IF she has herpes...has she been tested

Duckyteers
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

No, not yet. But now I really wonder what all the rules are for STDs and breastfeeding.

I feel so bad for her. As if breastfeeding isnt tough enough.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Did she get tested?

Duckyteers
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It is a big IF. I think she is just scared and wants to know the worst before hand. She is worried about blood and such if she has cracked nipples.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If its a an open sore she should not nurse on that breast IF she has herpes...has she been tested

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Well then I would not worry about it without testing to prove anything
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Kellymom.com has great info on BFing and STDs...moms can even urse with HIV now so times are a changig

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

If the herpes sore is on her breast she cannot nurse on that breast. If the sores are elsewhere on her body she can nurse (even if her nipple is bleeding). The only problem is direct contact with a sore.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I thought you could only test for herpes if you have an outbreak. Has she had one? She could have it even if she doesn't have an outbreak so that's the tricky part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Duckyteers
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Her doctor explain that a blood test can shoe markers... Idk. I have only been tested when pregnant and that's because they just do it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I thought you could only test for herpes if you have an outbreak. Has she had one? She could have it even if she doesn't have an outbreak so that's the tricky part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)