Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

formula is not first choice darn it!

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ugh! So mad. Had to leave baby with Grandma last night, got called out for work as a nurse. Left her with a whopping 10 ounces of milk, told her it was there. I have supply problems because of a car accident permanently damaging both breasts, one was split in half. I have to take meds to get a decent supply up, and it is a constant battle to get what milk I can. So for me, and extra 10 ounces is a rare occurence. Brought formula over just in case, she shouldn't have needed it. I was cleaning out the diaper bag this morning and there sits an unopened 5 ounces of breastmilk!!!! Which means she got 2 bottles of formula for NO reason other than Grandma doesn't think that breastmilk is as good as formula, (we have had that conversation) so she didn't look. It was in plain view on the side pocket. Every time she goes over there she gets overfed and they stuff her full of formula. Just a vent, but you ladies understand. Breastmilk is gold for us, it was disgusting to have to trash it because it had been out for so long it was bad. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Sorry mama. Sounds like if she cant respect your decision to no formula either dont send formula over there or dont leave baby with her anymore.
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Next time don't give formula as an option. Say here's X ozs of bm. Have a good day. If they don't listen and do formula again well thanks for watching her but I will not make this mistake again. My mil used to bring formula over because no way could bm be filling DD up and I would take it and donate it. She started the same with DS2 because he's close to 15lbs now, I think he is because he's in 3-6 month clothes that are tight and size 3 diapers, and he's 3 months old so there's no way my bm could be filling him. Doesn't matter that its my bm that's got him to this point. She knows I don't trust her so he's not allowed to be alone with my kids ever. Sucks cause I do not have any other family as close by for in a pinch but DH and I agree. If he can't listen to us then he isn't give the privilege of spending unsupervised time with her grandkids.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I wouldnt leave her with grandma anymore if she cant go by your directions and blatantly goes against them because she thinks she is right
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree

I just wouldn't give any more milk than what is needed. If they run out, explain that they are overfeeding her and she does not need that much milk. 10 oz should've covered 10-12 hours of being away.

They can be stretching her tummy (which will lead to it being harder for you to continue to nurse), messing up her digestive system, and my guess is they aren't feeding baby the breastfed baby recommendations way (horizontal, make baby work for it, etc)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I wouldnt leave her with grandma anymore if she cant go by your directions and blatantly goes against them because she thinks she is right
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Don't leave your baby there anymore. Period.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
How long were you gone?

I would NOT allow grandma to babysit anymore.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Grandma was raised in a generation that believed formula was the "Right" thing to do. Its the Doctors fault. Dont be too mad at her. Try showing her why you choose to breastfeed, give her some print outs or pamplets to read. And the next time you need a sitter then dont give any formula. I would pre make the bottles so all she would have to do is warm them up. Kuddo's to you by the way, your still breastfeeding dispite the accident!!!

LHummel
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:24 AM

This

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Grandma was raised in a generation that believed formula was the "Right" thing to do. Its the Doctors fault. Dont be too mad at her. Try showing her why you choose to breastfeed, give her some print outs or pamplets to read. And the next time you need a sitter then dont give any formula. I would pre make the bottles so all she would have to do is warm them up. Kuddo's to you by the way, your still breastfeeding dispite the accident!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)