Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have a broken booby

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

Before I start, let me just say that this is the 5th baby I have nursed and I am sure there is some sort of issue with my right breast.  It isn't something I am doing wrong. my left side works just the way it is supposed to. I am thankful I have one good side.

My right booby is broken.  It doesn't produce much. It never lets down.  It never satisfies my children.  I have worked and worked through 4 other children trying to start each feeding on that side when they feed more vigorously to stimulate flow.  I have pumped and pumped on that side to increase production. I have taken supplement and prescriptions. Nothing has ever helped.  All it has resulted in each time is a very cranky baby and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance problems. 

This time I have been determined to find a solution so that I am able to nurse with both sides effectively.  It isn't starting off well.  We are already seeing a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance problem since that side never lets down.  The baby gets mad about that side because it never becomes satisfying without let down.  My last son absolutely refused to eat on that side as he got older because he knew it didn't work.  Even tilting him in that direction would send him into a rage.  

Since detecting that it is once again a problem. I have started a highly lactogenic diet, have been drinking mother's milk tea, have begun herbal tinctures that are supposed to improve the supply and content, and have started taking herbal supplements.  I massage the breast each time I feed him.  I have started only nursing one side each time which is starting to correct the foremilk hindmilk imbalance issue since the left side works like a champ.  The problem is when I make him eat on the right side, he is left hungry and very unhappy.  

I am just not sure what else to do.  The last time,  I just ended up using left side only which was fine.  I guess. It just really bothers me that I can't get both sides to be effective.

Here is a pic of a typical meal.  I can't eat it all, but I eat a little bit of everything to make sure I am getting all the nutrients I need for breastmilk health.  This meal had barley, eggs, spinach, onion, cheese, avocado, turkey, salmon, blueberries, and coconut/almond milk.  All foods that are supposed to be very good at supporting breastfeeding.  :(  I am at a loss and don't know if there is any chance that I can get the right side to ever be successful.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My left is the same way. DS2 nurses forever in that side when on the right he's done in 5 minutes. Pumping I get 3-4ozs on my right but maybe 1oz on the left. I just deal and go with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You can do what you are doing to try and get the right side to produce more, you can nurse on the Rt twice and on the Lft once throughout the day, then the right "should" produce more and the left less.

The reality is though that it does not matter which breast the milk comes from as long as baby is getting enough milk. It is possible there is a physical problem with the right and nothing you do will help. Know that one option is to just nurse your baby on demand and let baby decide how often, which breast, one side or two etc. (if he is still hungry after finishing the Rt side you may want to just let him finish filling up on the left).

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The letting him eat on the right side and finish up on the left is what is causing the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.  He only gets foremilk on the right, it never lets down, then I move him to the left and he gets another dose of foremilk.  he gets full pretty quickly before he gets much hindmilk.

I do feel it must be a physical issue because nothing I have tried after so many times has helped.  

If I fed him from the right side two feedings in a row, he would be starving and crying the entire time.  

I just may have to go back to left side only nursing.  I know it will supply what is demanded.  It just seems like it would be easier if I could get both sides to work.  

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You can do what you are doing to try and get the right side to produce more, you can nurse on the Rt twice and on the Lft once throughout the day, then the right "should" produce more and the left less.

The reality is though that it does not matter which breast the milk comes from as long as baby is getting enough milk. It is possible there is a physical problem with the right and nothing you do will help. Know that one option is to just nurse your baby on demand and let baby decide how often, which breast, one side or two etc. (if he is still hungry after finishing the Rt side you may want to just let him finish filling up on the left).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Before I start, let me just say that this is the 5th baby I have nursed and I am sure there is some sort of issue with my right breast.  It isn't something I am doing wrong. my left side works just the way it is supposed to. I am thankful I have one good side.

My right booby is broken.  It doesn't produce much. It never lets down.  It never satisfies my children.  

All normal stuff. "Satisfied" is a dirty word... never use it in conjunction with nursing because the child's job is to never be satisfied. (It's good practcie for the teen years when you REALLY won't be able to do anything right! **smile**)

This is like being right or left handed. Quite normal. We're not symmetrical beings. Reading on...

I have worked and worked through 4 other children trying to start each feeding on that side when they feed more vigorously to stimulate flow.  I have pumped and pumped on that side to increase production. I have taken supplement and prescriptions. Nothing has ever helped.  All it has resulted in each time is a very cranky baby and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance problems. 

This time I have been determined to find a solution so that I am able to nurse with both sides effectively.  

I truly WOULD NOT worry about it. You worked fine with one side before. THere are women who've had mastectomies who nurse fine with one.

It isn't starting off well.  We are already seeing a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance problem since that side never lets down.  The baby gets mad about that side because it never becomes satisfying without let down.  My last son absolutely refused to eat on that side as he got older because he knew it didn't work.  Even tilting him in that direction would send him into a rage.  

Since detecting that it is once again a problem. I have started a highly lactogenic diet, have been drinking mother's milk tea, have begun herbal tinctures that are supposed to improve the supply and content, and have started taking herbal supplements.  I massage the breast each time I feed him.  I have started only nursing one side each time which is starting to correct the foremilk hindmilk imbalance issue since the left side works like a champ.  The problem is when I make him eat on the right side, he is left hungry and very unhappy.  

I am just not sure what else to do.  The last time,  I just ended up using left side only which was fine.  I guess. It just really bothers me that I can't get both sides to be effective.

Here is a pic of a typical meal.  I can't eat it all, but I eat a little bit of everything to make sure I am getting all the nutrients I need for breastmilk health.  This meal had barley, eggs, spinach, onion, cheese, avocado, turkey, salmon, blueberries, and coconut/almond milk.  All foods that are supposed to be very good at supporting breastfeeding.  :(  I am at a loss and don't know if there is any chance that I can get the right side to ever be successful.

I'd truly stop worrying about it. All of us have a side that does better and a side that does worse. Offer the lower producing side, don't worry about pissy baby (they're supposed to be pissy... good for supply) and carry on.

Nothing broken here, any more than your non-dominant hand is "broken."

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have nursed on only one side for over 2 years now..my son hates my left and it never amde as much milk..though I did get a letdown.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM
That's the part that I think is odd. Not the fact it just produced less. Basically, it doesn't produce hardly at all and I have never once experienced let down on that side no matter what I have tried. I was hoping both sides would work this time because I wanted to pump and store as much as possible before I go back to work. I guess one is better than none though.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I have nursed on only one side for over 2 years now..my son hates my left and it never amde as much milk..though I did get a letdown.

justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I'd just nurse from one side, personally. Many women do fine with just one breast. I think it's just one of those things you have to accept. It's not broken, it's just how your body works. You're nursing your fifth; I'd say your body is pretty bad ass. :)
LHummel
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I am the same. Although DD seemed not to care until she was down to just before bed and first thing in the morning. That's when she started refusing the right side altogether. 

Quoting shortyali:

My left is the same way. DS2 nurses forever in that side when on the right he's done in 5 minutes. Pumping I get 3-4ozs on my right but maybe 1oz on the left. I just deal and go with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN