Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pyloric stenosis/newborn vomiting

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

DS is 13 days old and started throwing up 2-3x/day about three days ago. It's different from regular spitting up - he kind of gags for a few seconds (for comparison, it looks and sounds similar to what a cat does before vomiting) and then throws up forcefully. He'll fuss for a few seconds and then seems unbothered.

Weight gain and diapers are great, he's generally content, and he doesn't have any other symptoms (at least yet) that would indicate pyloric stenosis.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Everything I'm reading about throwing up is pointing to pyloric stenosis but since he doesn't have any other symptoms, I'm not sure that's the issue.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:27 AM

my dd did that too...it was diagnosed as reflux

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Pyloric would be present from birth, and a sign would be projectile vomiting. If he's gaining and good dipes, I think it sounds more like reflux :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Could also be symptoms of overactive letdown/oversupply. Especially since weight gain and diapers are good and he doesn't seem to be in pain. Look up overactive letdown on kellymom.com and see if any of that sounds familiar.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

When does the gagging happen? Right after a feeding? If so, very likely it's nothingmore than overactive letdown... when your milk flows so forcefully baby gets too much and tosses it up. Since the weight gain is good. I'd cross off reflix and pyloric stenosis and make one very simple change: Nurse leaning back. Baby gets positioned tummy to tummy with you, mouth OVER the breast. This lets gravity handle the flow of the milk. And takes care of tummy time.

Mrs.Salz
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It's usually several minutes after a nursing - he'll gag and heave two or three times and throw up immediately after. This morning it went flying out of his mouth like a fountain.

Can you have OAL without leaking or milk pouring out as soon as baby unlatches? I've never thought I had it.

I've usually been nursing leaning back or with baby in an upright position.

Quoting gdiamante:

When does the gagging happen? Right after a feeding? If so, very likely it's nothingmore than overactive letdown... when your milk flows so forcefully baby gets too much and tosses it up. Since the weight gain is good. I'd cross off reflix and pyloric stenosis and make one very simple change: Nurse leaning back. Baby gets positioned tummy to tummy with you, mouth OVER the breast. This lets gravity handle the flow of the milk. And takes care of tummy time.

Mrs.Salz
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Thanks, I did some more reading since I posted this and it does seem more like reflux.

Quoting BabyPink07:

Pyloric would be present from birth, and a sign would be projectile vomiting. If he's gaining and good dipes, I think it sounds more like reflux :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It's less likely but still possible. SInce you're already using the upright positioning, though, that takes us back around to reflux.

Although.... have you looked at dairy as an issue?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

It's usually several minutes after a nursing - he'll gag and heave two or three times and throw up immediately after. This morning it went flying out of his mouth like a fountain.

Can you have OAL without leaking or milk pouring out as soon as baby unlatches? I've never thought I had it.

Quoting gdiamante:

Mrs.Salz
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yes, I've actually done a bunch more reading since I posted this while barely awake at 5 am :) I'm going to eliminate dairy and am looking into craniosacral therapy and homeopathy to see if that helps first.

Quoting gdiamante:

It's less likely but still possible. SInce you're already using the upright positioning, though, that takes us back around to reflux.

Although.... have you looked at dairy as an issue?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Quoting gdiamante:

FebPenguins
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I'd look at chiropratic. Is that the same as craniosacral therpy?

Mrs.Salz
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

They're similar. Chiropractic focuses on the spine and CST focuses on the skull.

Quoting FebPenguins:

I'd look at chiropratic. Is that the same as craniosacral therpy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)