Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 18 month old has a nighttime cough right now...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 6 Replies

...so I spent the night on the couch snuggled up with her.  She wanted a bottle at about 2 am--I gave her one and she had it propped on my breast and I could feel the rhythmic pull of her drinking from it and it reminded me of nursing and right then, I was sad and missed it! :(  Just a Monday morning complaint thought. :)  I do wish I could have nursed her longer.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Awww, that's so sweet. Why did you stop nursing .... maybe relactation is an option for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Aww :) Can we help get you back to nursing? Is that an option or a desire?

Denisethedaring
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

LOL oh no, I don't think so..!  I mean, my understanding is that even adoptive moms can lactate, so I possibly could get a little milk to come back--but she hasn't nursed since she was 10 months old so it's been 8 months since we nursed.  She actually stopped nursing before my milk dried up completely, which made me sad :(  but for whatever reason, she just didn't want to anymore at that point.  My milk had been slowly drying up since she was about 6 months old, because I simply couldn't pump enough to maintain my supply for her while I was working.  :(  After she stopped nursing entirely around 10 months, I still had a little tiny bit all the way up through 2 months later, but nothing since. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Awww, that's so sweet. Why did you stop nursing .... maybe relactation is an option for you.

Denisethedaring
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No...she stopped wanting to herself--I don't know if the taste changed as my milk was drying up or if bottles were just easier and it was an instant-gratification thing or if it was something else entirely, but she quit wanting to nurse herself. :(  I wouldn't make her go back to it at her age now.  Not to mention she'd probably bite the heck out of me as I'm sure she has no memory of nursing anymore and generally chomps anything put into her mouth now with her full set of teeth. :)  I wish she hadn't lost interest in nursing, though--I was going to keep nursing her as much as I was able as long as I had any milk at at, but she just didn't want to anymore. :(

Quoting stepconfused182:

Aww :) Can we help get you back to nursing? Is that an option or a desire?

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
It was probably a nursing strike and or instant gratification. from the bottle. It is normal for pump input to decrease over time. She wss likely getting more milk in the bottle than at the breast as well. A breastfed baby should only be getting 1-1.25 oz per hour of seperation from mom in bottles no larger than 3 ounces with a stage one nipple to maintain mothers supply. Its not in a baby's nature to wean before a year. I understand if you don't want to go back to nursing, but its always an option even after 8 months. You also said she still takes a bottle, she would use that motion for nursing as well not like chomping on her food, would take some work though. Anyways kudos to you for making it ten months, most don't even make it to 6 weeks or bother to try at all.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

LOL oh no, I don't think so..!  I mean, my understanding is that even adoptive moms can lactate, so I possibly could get a little milk to come back--but she hasn't nursed since she was 10 months old so it's been 8 months since we nursed.  She actually stopped nursing before my milk dried up completely, which made me sad :(  but for whatever reason, she just didn't want to anymore at that point.  My milk had been slowly drying up since she was about 6 months old, because I simply couldn't pump enough to maintain my supply for her while I was working.  :(  After she stopped nursing entirely around 10 months, I still had a little tiny bit all the way up through 2 months later, but nothing since. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, I never say she "self-weaned" at 10 months, because she didn't--my second baby did actually self-wean starting at around 14 months of age and the way that went was totally different--my daughter just rejected me for bottles, she wasn't weaning at all.   :(    She's 95% certain my last baby too, boo hoo!  :) Thanks for the kudos too!  but I don't really feel like I deserve them, I should have MADE my job give me more breaks to pump.  I just didn't, I felt like I was failing as an employee even taking just the one break a day to pump.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

It was probably a nursing strike and or instant gratification. from the bottle. It is normal for pump input to decrease over time. She wss likely getting more milk in the bottle than at the breast as well. A breastfed baby should only be getting 1-1.25 oz per hour of seperation from mom in bottles no larger than 3 ounces with a stage one nipple to maintain mothers supply. Its not in a baby's nature to wean before a year. I understand if you don't want to go back to nursing, but its always an option even after 8 months. You also said she still takes a bottle, she would use that motion for nursing as well not like chomping on her food, would take some work though. Anyways kudos to you for making it ten months, most don't even make it to 6 weeks or bother to try at all.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN