Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help nursing issues

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is 7 months old and is currently drinking 4-5 oz at a time... my freezer is gettin low and only have like 10 bags in and now pumpin i am barely even getting 5 oz a day!!!! my doctor gave me reglan but i looked it up online and the side efects seem really bad!!! any tips here!! i have done the fenugreek and blessed thistle.... thanks

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

So you're EPing? 4-5 oz at a time is too much... How long between bottles? 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Are you pumping just for when you're away? At any rate, amount offered should be 1-1.5 ounces per hour in bottles no larger than three ounces. Burp after each ounce. Normal output from both breasts combined per pumping session is .5-2 ounces. Feed bottles every 2-3 hours.
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM
What the ladies above said. Are you eping? If so how often are you pumping?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

What they said ^ bottles should never be more than 3 oz every 3 hrs, fed with baby sitting up and bottle parallel to the floor burping after every ounce. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Need more info from you... hope you check back in soon!

jboldt
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i worl all day so i leave my house about 500AM and get home bout 530PM so i pump allday at work and before i leave for work after she nurses. she goes to daycare and they asked me to bring her more milk because they are feeding her bout 5 oz a feedin which is every 4-5 hrs i still feed her bout 4 oz every 4 hours... she has gotten so used to bottle now and since she has a cold she fights nursing horribly unless its at night time for her one feeding she wakes to then she  nurses just fine! I dont get it!  so i pump like every 4 hrs ish at work

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jboldt:

i worl all day so i leave my house about 500AM and get home bout 530PM

So the daily need is 12.5 - 15.5 ounces.

so i pump allday at work and before i leave for work after she nurses. she goes to daycare and they asked me to bring her more milk because they are feeding her bout 5 oz a feedin

Hmm. Smaller feeds, given more often. About every three hours, three ounces.

So if you feed just before 5AM, next feeding about 7:30 AM (I'm waffling 'cause I don't know how far you're driving to the day care and guessing the feeding would be at 4:30)

S0..

7:30 3 ounces

10:30 3 ounces

1:30 3 ounces

4:30 3 ounces

Nothing after 4:30... you want that baby RAVENOUS when you get home. It's the best way to get them on the breast.

which is every 4-5 hrs i still feed her bout 4 oz every 4 hours... she has gotten so used to bottle now and since she has a cold she fights nursing horribly unless its at night time for her one feeding she wakes to then she  nurses just fine! I dont get it!  so i pump like every 4 hrs ish at work

Up it to every three. And pump while nursing when you're home in the AM. You'll get more.

And don't make bottles an option when you're there. She's gotten too used to the ease. Make sure you're still on the newborn nipple.. yep, newborn. She never goes off it.

It's also OK to let the daycare do all solids, and you do none at all, if you're on solids now.

jboldt
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM

we wake up at about 330AM every day i work and she usually eats then or at 430 then get to daycare at about 530ish and i pick her up around 430 that evening. She does eat solids quite a bit actually. I dont know what daycare will say if i ask them to feed her more often makin more work for them?? I just dont knwo what else to do.. when i am at work shouldnt i be pumping how much she takes in a day so that would bbe like 12 oz and i am lucky if i am getting 6 oz when im at work! im at a loss here but i dont want to stop nursing!!!

ali840
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Don't stop nursing! Daycare has to go by what you say. It's their job! If you say 3 oz. every 3 hours, they will have to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)