Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My OBGYN just told me...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 88 Replies
That I would have to stop breastfeeding (except for some night comfort feeding) to get my period and be able to have another baby. And even then it usually takes 3 MONTHS after to get a period! I dont want to wean yet but I'd like to have my 2nd and last baby ASAP and then possibly get my tubes tied.

Did it take you 3 months to get a period after you stopped nursing??

(My LO is 7 months)

Edit: I am also considering weaning because we have had thrush for the whole 7 months that we have treated with everything without success and he is biting me now that he has teeth.
Edit again: This is not my regular doctor, my midwife is on maternity leave until March.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
6 moms liked this

Your period will return and you will be able to concieve when your body is ready to sustain another child.  No weaning needed.

Why the rush to get pregnant?

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I'm still nursing my 18 month old, I'm also 11 weeks pregnant and DS is BFed anywhere from 5-10 times a day. I got my period back when he was 10.5 months old.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Although I would note that I was not trying to get pregnant and this baby was a surprise.
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
with my first i couldnt nurse so i got it back at 6 weeks. With ds2 i got my first monthly at 5 weeks pp and havent had it since. I should have had my 2nd one the 20 of febuary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewInChrist
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
My period came back right away and ds is 16 months old now. I'm 8 weeks pregnant, he still nurses.
You will get pregnant when your body is ready.
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
just depends on your body. I got pregnant each time while nursing. First baby was 16 months. Second baby was a year. That was too close. I had my period too. I wouldn't rush it you still have a baby. Enjoy the baby you have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM
How are you treating the thrush that you mentioned in mom confessions?

Have you read up on kellymom for the biting you mentioned in mom confessions?

bear.katten
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
We have done 3+ rounds of Nystatin on him and me while taking 3 rounds of Diflucan to get it out of my milk ducts, vinegar and baking soda in the washer, boiling all bottle nipples and pump pieces before and after use and multiple rounds of violet oil.
We have been working on the biting for months. I yell oww and take him off and stop nursing for 5-10 minutes.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you cut back on all sugars in your diet? Did you treat both of you at the same time, both topically and internally? Did was he treated topically or internally? Did you try Grape Seed Extract? Did you treat him both in the diaper area and in the mouth? Did you add probiotics? 

Yelling will make him want to do it more. He will be entertained by the outburst. Try not to yell. Try to firmly but calmly tell him "No, we do not bite." Not only do you not nurse him for a few minutes but you don't hold him, you put him down in a safe place alone with no fun things around. You are trying to convey to him that biting is not fun for you or him. You have to be very consistent with this so if he bites anyone else, anywhere at all, you have to do the same thing.  

Quoting bear.katten:

We have done 3+ rounds of Nystatin on him and me while taking 3 rounds of Diflucan to get it out of my milk ducts, vinegar and baking soda in the washer, boiling all bottle nipples and pump pieces before and after use and multiple rounds of violet oil.
We have been working on the biting for months. I yell oww and take him off and stop nursing for 5-10 minutes.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

whoopsie16
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
My OB told me to be careful bc even though you dont get your period while bfing you could get preggers still....im confused lol

btw I didnt stop nursing & got mine again at 6mo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)