Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Im thinking about stopping BF so I can lose weight

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 78 Replies
Okay I know it's totally selfish but after gaining 60lbs during my pregnancy I am sooooo ready to lose this weight. It's causing serious depression for me and I feel so exhausted all the time. I have literally lost NO weight and I've been eating salads and lean meats but every time I try to cut calories my supply takes an instant dip and I feel horribly sick and dizzy. In order to lose my baby weight from my first pregnancy I had to go on a strict hard core diet that I know wont be healthy for my while bf so I'm tempted to stop so I can get my body back! What would you do? Any suggestions?? I'm being totally selfish arnt I? :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

How long have you been BFing?

mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM
13 moms liked this

What would I do? Suck it up and wait til my child self weans then worry about the weight.

BabyFruit Ticker

Koux
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM
How old is baby?
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Very much so...
How old is the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this
My theory is the weight can come odd later. I can't risk my baby's health for my weight loss.

How much are you exercising? What type of exercise? How much water are you drinking? What are your typical meals?

A lot of people try to lose weight but don't do it right. They try to skip too many calories and that won't work.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM
6 moms liked this
How old is the baby? My concern when you say the diet you'll be on wont be "healthy enough while breastfeeding" is that its probably not healthy for you under any circumstances.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this
If that hardcore diet isn't healthy enough to do while nursing, chances are it's not healthy to do at all. *personally* I wouldn't wean a baby under a year old for a reason like that due to the fact that baby would have to be fed formula and that's not something I'm ok with.
Have you tried exercising too? Weight Watchers has a great diet plan for nursing moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Yeah I would wait until at least the year mark if you can. If your diet's too unhealthy for breastfeeding it's probably not a healthy diet at all, ever. Try a lot of exercise, plenty of water, smaller portions more often... There are healthy ways to lose weight without draining yourself, good luck!

tnovak
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the same situation I am in and at 15 months he has no interest in weaning.  I feel your pain!

masonsmommy921
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM
3 months

Quoting jean_marie1987:

How long have you been BFing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)