Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

could i get some input on my routine?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

dyson n chey's post on weaning has some replies that have really made me question my routine with my LO.  He is demand fed and tends to want to eat every 2-3 hours during the day and at present every 2-2.5 (sometimes 1.5) hours during the night.  He is 17 weeks so I think he is sleep regressing, he used to wake twice in the night now it is up to 5 times.  I am exhausted and parenting alone.  Since he was 8 weeks I have given him a "dream feed" expressed bottle at between 9-10 pm, 5 oz.  He goes to sleep at 7 and usually does not sleep through to this point of 10 pm but wakes earlier nd I give him the bottle in the hopes he will sleep for longer in the night.  It does not seem to work.  I pump after giving the bottle and go to bed.  Btw he is a very large baby - 17 weeks, 28" long and about 17 lb.  He is not overweight but is in the 97th % for height and the 80th for weight.  He has never had anything but breastmilk.  Is there anyone thinking I should change anything, the post on weaning said that 5 oz was way too much to give but he does happily finish this bottle and then go straight back to sleep, it's just that he doesn't stay asleep.  He eats happily in the night, in the day he often fusses at the breast.  I am pretty sure I do not produce too much or too fast, I m never engorged, I do not leak, he is frequently hungry and I usually pump about 3-4 ounces a night.  I top this up to 5 with an extra pump the next day to give him that big night feed.  Sorry this is so tangled and long... and thank you!

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I wouldn't change a thing! My ds is 6 months, was born 8lb and now weighs 24lbs. He's pretty large, but very healthy and hitting milestones. Is your pedi concerned?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Five ounces is too much. Even if they finish it. They have a sucking reflex. And a bottle will drain whether or not they're sucking for nutrients while they can non nutritively suck on the breast.

Engorgement and leaking aren't required for production. You don't really want that ever. Diaper count counts. The ONLY thing that counts.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting scarsmum:

dyson n chey's post on weaning has some replies that have really made me question my routine with my LO.  He is demand fed and tends to want to eat every 2-3 hours during the day and at present every 2-2.5 (sometimes 1.5) hours during the night.  He is 17 weeks so I think he is sleep regressing, he used to wake twice in the night now it is up to 5 times.

That's not regression... that's usual. Expect no pattern to stay permanent in year one.

I am exhausted and parenting alone.  Since he was 8 weeks I have given him a "dream feed" expressed bottle at between 9-10 pm, 5 oz.  He goes to sleep at 7 and usually does not sleep through to this point of 10 pm but wakes earlier nd I give him the bottle in the hopes he will sleep for longer in the night.  It does not seem to work.  I pump after giving the bottle and go to bed.  Btw he is a very large baby - 17 weeks, 28" long and about 17 lb.  He is not overweight but is in the 97th % for height and the 80th for weight.  He has never had anything but breastmilk.  Is there anyone thinking I should change anything, the post on weaning said that 5 oz was way too much to give but he does happily finish this bottle and then go straight back to sleep, it's just that he doesn't stay asleep.

Nor will he. And it will become harder to keep up this routine. I'd actually just keep nursing him on demand because he will nurse less eventually. The bottle fills him too much and when that gets diugested... BING! He's awake.

He eats happily in the night, in the day he often fusses at the breast.  I am pretty sure I do not produce too much or too fast, I m never engorged, I do not leak, he is frequently hungry and I usually pump about 3-4 ounces a night.  I top this up to 5 with an extra pump the next day to give him that big night feed.  Sorry this is so tangled and long... and thank you!

I would drop the bottle merely because you're making work when you could be sleeping. His sleep pattern is normal and expected.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
You have stretched his stomach with the huge bottles at night. A breast fed baby, no matter size or age, NEVER needs a bottle larger than 3 oz. I would cut those out.
It is common and important for him to wake often at night. Helps prevent SIDS. He's not supposed to stay asleep yet. It's his
Cosleeping can help you get more rest if your interested.
If you are able to pump 3-5 oz at a time, that is on the side of "too much". Normal output is ½-2oz total, both sides.
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If I were you, I'd have him in bed with me and nurse while we both slept :)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM
This!
Op, i would drop all.bottle feedings when you are with him and just let him nurse on demand.

Quoting Duquesne:

Five ounces is too much. Even if they finish it. They have a sucking reflex. And a bottle will drain whether or not they're sucking for nutrients while they can non nutritively suck on the breast.

Engorgement and leaking aren't required for production. You don't really want that ever. Diaper count counts. The ONLY thing that counts.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM
This is what i do.

Quoting littlelambe2:

If I were you, I'd have him in bed with me and nurse while we both slept :)

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM
He sounds perfectly normal to me. My 17 month old nurses that much now as did all my other kids up to about 18-20 months. I do remember the 7 and 10 month times to be particularly trying also due to the teething. He just wouldn't sleep like he used to. It did get better after a few weeks (just when I was on the edge of losing it).

The only thing that seems strange at all is giving a bottle of breastmilk instead of just nursing him yourself. It seems like a lot of work for no reason at all. Not to mention, he may not sleep as well when he is overfilled with breastmilk. I know I sleep much worse after a large meal so I would assume a baby is no different.

Also, the fact that you can get 4 ounces out at night which is typically a time of lowest supply likely means you have oversupply. But if he is happy, then not a problem. This is likely the reason for his growth. My first two kids were the same way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
24lb? Holy cow! My 6mo old is barely 15...

Quoting audreesmama:

I wouldn't change a thing! My ds is 6 months, was born 8lb and now weighs 24lbs. He's pretty large, but very healthy and hitting milestones. Is your pedi concerned?
audreesmama
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
It's insane. Dd is almost 5 and 57 lbs, 53inches. Lol.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

24lb? Holy cow! My 6mo old is barely 15...

Quoting audreesmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN