Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Restless Baby

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 12 Replies
DD is 2.5wks old for the past week & a half she seems to feed every 2hrs during the day + rarely naps, & at night she eats/goes down around 7 eats around 11, 2, 6, & then gets up around 10... so I really can't complain. I literally just started pumping to get a supply for when I go back to work so I don't have any "extras" I can give her.

Today she has wanted to be latched on just about every hour... I did our whole night routine & fed her from 7-745, burped + rocked her for 20 minutes & put her down she started crying so I got her up & she was rooting & sucking so I fed her again from 810-915 & changed her... again burped + rocked her till she fell asleep put her down at 930 & by 940 she was screaming again... I've tried the pacifier, swing, vibrating seat, laying her on her belly across my lap, & anything else I can think of.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm a first time mom that's all out of ideas :( Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting fiiasco:

DD is 2.5wks old for the past week & a half she seems to feed every 2hrs during the day + rarely naps, & at night she eats/goes down around 7 eats around 11, 2, 6, & then gets up around 10... so I really can't complain.
Sounds about right!
I literally just started pumping to get a supply for when I go back to work so I don't have any "extras" I can give her.
Good. It will mess things up to try and "top her off" with a bottle. You just keep nursing and it all works out. Only pump once a day (first thing in the morning is usually best, either nurse one side and pump the other, or nurse then pump about an hour later. Lots of good info on preparing for your return to work at 

Preparing for Your Return to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

Today she has want to be latched on just about every hour... I did our whole night routine & fed her from 7-745, burped + rocked her for 20 minutes & put her down she started crying so I got her up & she was rooting & sucking so I fed her again from 810-915 & changed her... again burped + rocked her till she fell asleep put her down at 930 & by 940 she was screaming again... I've tried the pacifier, swing, vibrating seat, laying her on her belly across my lap, & anything else I can think of.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm a first time mom that's all out of ideas :( Thank you!

It sounds like she is acting her age!  What you are describing is CALSSIC 3 week old behavior, your DD is just a little advanced for her age :-)

My tip? Hang in there! Do not try to expect to see any kind of routine or schedule anytime soon. Trying to establish a nightime "routine" and have her go down for the night at a certain time in futile at this age. Wait untilcloser to 6 months to start establishing a bedtime routine. Baby's brain is too immature right now to start to see those patterns.

You are doing exactly what you should do! You are watching your baby and doing your best to try and meet her needs. You are nursing her again when she acts like she wants to nurse, even if she just did. You are trying other ways to comfort her. You don't really need any tips, you seem to know what to do! This is a hard age, we hear from a LOT of moms at around 3 weeks old.

fiiasco
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Thank you so much for the tips + reassurance... I was starting to feel like I was missing something!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting fiiasco:

DD is 2.5wks old for the past week & a half she seems to feed every 2hrs during the day + rarely naps, & at night she eats/goes down around 7 eats around 11, 2, 6, & then gets up around 10... so I really can't complain.
Sounds about right!
I literally just started pumping to get a supply for when I go back to work so I don't have any "extras" I can give her.
Good. It will mess things up to try and "top her off" with a bottle. You just keep nursing and it all works out. Only pump once a day (first thing in the morning is usually best, either nurse one side and pump the other, or nurse then pump about an hour later. Lots of good info on preparing for your return to work at 

Preparing for Your Return to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

Today she has want to be latched on just about every hour... I did our whole night routine & fed her from 7-745, burped + rocked her for 20 minutes & put her down she started crying so I got her up & she was rooting & sucking so I fed her again from 810-915 & changed her... again burped + rocked her till she fell asleep put her down at 930 & by 940 she was screaming again... I've tried the pacifier, swing, vibrating seat, laying her on her belly across my lap, & anything else I can think of.

It sounds like she is acting her age!  What you are describing is CALSSIC 3 week old behavior, your DD is just a little advanced for her age :-)

My tip? Hang in there! Do not try to expect to see any kind of routine or schedule anytime soon. Trying to establish a nightime "routine" and have her go down for the night at a certain time in futile at this age. Wait untilcloser to 6 months to start establishing a bedtime routine. Baby's brain is too immature right now to start to see those patterns.

You are doing exactly what you should do! You are watching your baby and doing your best to try and meet her needs. You are nursing her again when she acts like she wants to nurse, even if she just did. You are trying other ways to comfort her. You don't really need any tips, you seem to know what to do! This is a hard age, we hear from a LOT of moms at around 3 weeks old.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Wearing baby always helped.me.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Everything you describe is right on target!

Know that moment in the movies when someone says, "It's too quiet" just before all hell breaks loose? Whenever it gets "too quiet" be ready for another parenting challenge! **grin**

fiiasco
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM
LOL, ugh! Thank you :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Everything you describe is right on target!

Know that moment in the movies when someone says, "It's too quiet" just before all hell breaks loose? Whenever it gets "too quiet" be ready for another parenting challenge! **grin**

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a 3 week growth spurt! It'll go away in a couple days. An important this is no supplements. She's upping your supply by nursing so frequently and a bottle would mess with the supply increase.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
She's ordering her milk for her big 3 week growth spurt:) In a few days you will likely see that calm down and a little more sleep during the actual spurt. You will know your milk tailored to her needs perfectly. This is a rough time but you'll get through it!
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Cherish it. It may seem like a lot now, but they grow up fast. I know I will miss it. Sounds about normal. Both mine did the same thing

Monkeymama930
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
This happened to me! I finally called my mom and asked for her help. She said always happens around 3 weeks. Seems like all baby's going on a feeding frenzy around 3 weeks. I would say if u have anyone who can help with laundry dishes dinners call them in now :-)
fiiasco
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
LOL thank you!! My mom is on standby :)

Quoting Monkeymama930:

This happened to me! I finally called my mom and asked for her help. She said always happens around 3 weeks. Seems like all baby's going on a feeding frenzy around 3 weeks. I would say if u have anyone who can help with laundry dishes dinners call them in now :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)