Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding is harder than I ever imagined...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my sweet little boy was born on his due date. Long labor and high blood pressure caused him to pass his meconium in the womb. He breathed it in and had to be rushed to the NICU after an emergency c-section. I didn't get to see him for two days because he was airlifted to another city. When I finally got to him he had been given a pacifier even though I instructed the nurses not to. He was also fed through a feeding tube. I had to teach him how to use a nipple and measure how much he ate so he could come home. By the time we were able to breastfeed he wouldn't take my nipple at all. It took about two months to work it out but we overcame it all and we're able to exclusively breastfeed. In that time I got a clogged milk duct, endless nipple pain from a bad latch and emotionally wore myself out. Now at 3 1/2 months we were doing great. He was sleeping 7 hours at night, so I went back to work. I don't have a job that allows me to pump whenever I want, I'm stressed about money and I'm so tired I failed to pump while he was sleeping so long. Where did my milk go?! Now we're back to every 2 hours at the most at the breast. I can't get much when I pump. I'm trying everything. Mother's milk tea, fenugreek. I'm pumping more. It just doesn't seem like he's satisfied the way he used to be. This has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and for that reason I refuse to give up. I have a completely unsupportive mother. She told me I'm probably drying up and maybe it's time to give him formula. And my dad always tells me he eats too much and I should add cereal to his bottle. I breastfeed dad! Anyway, sorry for the rant. A little help anyone?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeanutsMom003
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Try the breastpump xcerise...
&
Eat DAIRY
ALLLLOT OF IT,
BREAST MILK PILLS(:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting PeanutsMom003:

&
Eat DAIRY
ALLLLOT OF IT,
BREAST MILK PILLS(:

Eating more dairy will not help milk supply. In fact what you eat has little affect on milk production.

The absolutel best thing you can do is nurse, nurse, nurse, and pump as much as you can.

It is all about milk removal. The more frequently and completely you drain yoru breasts, the faster they try to "refill".

If you nurse baby on both breasts and he still seems hungry, offer both breasts again!

Bring him in bed with you and encourage him to nurse during the night. The more you nurse when you are home with him, the less milk he will need at daycare.

Hang in there, you can do it!

Sprtam
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM
He actually has a dairy sensitivity. I stay away from dairy products. What is the breastpump exercise?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Hugs mama.....you had a lot of circumstances againts you! Agree with above. Take him to bed with you, wear him, offer to nurse often. Are you still working? What stops u from pumping at work?
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol. That's an old wives tale. You don't need dairy to make milk, no one needs dairy actually...

Quoting PeanutsMom003:

&

Eat DAIRY

ALLLLOT OF IT,

BREAST MILK PILLS(:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM
How are his diapers? My almost 18 month old nurses ever 2-3 hours most days. Frequency means NOTHING as far as supply. Count diapers (6 in 24 hours), look for progress in development (ignore what's typical all babies are different), and an overall AVERAGE of 1 pound of weight gain a month.

You are doing great, many women would of given up by now:-)

Quoting Sprtam:

So my sweet little boy was born on his due date. Long labor and high blood pressure caused him to pass his meconium in the womb. He breathed it in and had to be rushed to the NICU after an emergency c-section. I didn't get to see him for two days because he was airlifted to another city. When I finally got to him he had been given a pacifier even though I instructed the nurses not to. He was also fed through a feeding tube. I had to teach him how to use a nipple and measure how much he ate so he could come home. By the time we were able to breastfeed he wouldn't take my nipple at all. It took about two months to work it out but we overcame it all and we're able to exclusively breastfeed. In that time I got a clogged milk duct, endless nipple pain from a bad latch and emotionally wore myself out. Now at 3 1/2 months we were doing great. He was sleeping 7 hours at night, so I went back to work. I don't have a job that allows me to pump whenever I want, I'm stressed about money and I'm so tired I failed to pump while he was sleeping so long. Where did my milk go?! Now we're back to every 2 hours at the most at the breast. I can't get much when I pump. I'm trying everything. Mother's milk tea, fenugreek. I'm pumping more. It just doesn't seem like he's satisfied the way he used to be. This has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and for that reason I refuse to give up. I have a completely unsupportive mother. She told me I'm probably drying up and maybe it's time to give him formula. And my dad always tells me he eats too much and I should add cereal to his bottle. I breastfeed dad! Anyway, sorry for the rant. A little help anyone?

Sprtam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM
His weight gain and diapers are good. It seems like a quick drop in milk. He's acting like he's not getting enough. Pulling off when he empties each side and getting fussy when he can't get more. Going back and forth seems to frustrate us both but I keep at it.

By the way I wait tables and have nothing but male bosses that are not very accommodating. I can pump at work but it is stressful and difficult. I do it when I can. I try.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Well good for you for sticking with it through such a rough start!

Just hang in there I'm sure you'll continue to do great.

Do you sleep with him, or would you consider it? My little one pretty much stays on the breast all night long and I think it helps keep up supply a lot. And make sure you drink plenty of water, waitressing is a stressful job with lots of running around.

I can only pump anything if I do it while nursing, I know that doesn't help you at work but you could maybe try it at home?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Do you work for a small restaurant or a chain? If it's a chain with more than 50 employees, the bosses are violating federal law.

Quoting Sprtam:

His weight gain and diapers are good. It seems like a quick drop in milk. He's acting like he's not getting enough. Pulling off when he empties each side and getting fussy when he can't get more. Going back and forth seems to frustrate us both but I keep at it.

By the way I wait tables and have nothing but male bosses that are not very accommodating. I can pump at work but it is stressful and difficult. I do it when I can. I try.

Sprtam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM
We cosleep every night and he has been feeding constantly through the night. That's another reason I have been worried. A couple weeks ago the feedings were 3 or more hours apart.

As for my restaurant, it's a huge chain. I just don't know how to go about demanding time and a place to pump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)