Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding is harder than I ever imagined...

Posted by   + Show Post

So my sweet little boy was born on his due date. Long labor and high blood pressure caused him to pass his meconium in the womb. He breathed it in and had to be rushed to the NICU after an emergency c-section. I didn't get to see him for two days because he was airlifted to another city. When I finally got to him he had been given a pacifier even though I instructed the nurses not to. He was also fed through a feeding tube. I had to teach him how to use a nipple and measure how much he ate so he could come home. By the time we were able to breastfeed he wouldn't take my nipple at all. It took about two months to work it out but we overcame it all and we're able to exclusively breastfeed. In that time I got a clogged milk duct, endless nipple pain from a bad latch and emotionally wore myself out. Now at 3 1/2 months we were doing great. He was sleeping 7 hours at night, so I went back to work. I don't have a job that allows me to pump whenever I want, I'm stressed about money and I'm so tired I failed to pump while he was sleeping so long. Where did my milk go?! Now we're back to every 2 hours at the most at the breast. I can't get much when I pump. I'm trying everything. Mother's milk tea, fenugreek. I'm pumping more. It just doesn't seem like he's satisfied the way he used to be. This has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and for that reason I refuse to give up. I have a completely unsupportive mother. She told me I'm probably drying up and maybe it's time to give him formula. And my dad always tells me he eats too much and I should add cereal to his bottle. I breastfeed dad! Anyway, sorry for the rant. A little help anyone?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Replies (11-16):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Just tell them you are a nursing mom and need a few breaks and an empty office ton pump in. It may seem awkward but trust me it will be weirder for them, lol.

Quoting Sprtam:

We cosleep every night and he has been feeding constantly through the night. That's another reason I have been worried. A couple weeks ago the feedings were 3 or more hours apart.

As for my restaurant, it's a huge chain. I just don't know how to go about demanding time and a place to pump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sprtam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM
I'm new to this site and I've spent some time reading some of your posts and I'm starting to think my problem was over supply. Maybe because I've been exclusively breast feeding he's brought it to where it should be and his stomach was stretched from the bottles his dad was giving him while I was at work. I used to be able to pump 6 oz if I skipped a feeding. Now it's 1/2-4oz. Is this a more normal amount?
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds all normal except the not pumping at work. I know it's an awkward converted to have but I would definitely find a way to pump at work. Frequency of feedings, pump output and baby behavior are NOT supply indicators. Only dipes.

Normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2oz combined.

And babies will change their eat/sleep patterns multiple Times their first year. Best thing to do Is to accept it, go into survival mode if needed (only activities required to sustain life, no extra and dad helps pick up the slack). 4 months was a nasty sleep regression for us. And I felt like I was constantly nursing. I also noticed that she nurses more after I've been away (even if its only an hour) as a way to say "mommy I missed you I need to reconnect".

After a brutal start you're doing so much better than you know! From here on out,

1.) FIND A WAY TO PUMP AT WORK! At least once in the middle of a 7 hr shift and right before you leave. Cripes, when I worked at a restaurant the cooks were allowed more smoke breaks than that!!
2.)only count dipes to measure supply (6/day minimum. Poopy or soaked =2)
3.) invest in ear plugs to tune out grandma
4.) bottles are on a schedule, boob is on demand. If baby is used to being overfed set up rules for daddy. Only leave 1-1.25 oz per hour your away. I prefer to leave 2oz every 2 hrs. But you could nurse right before you go, leave a 3 oz bottle for halfway through a 7 hr shift then nurse right when you get home.
5.) (most important). Give yourself a mental high five! You're doing great! And so proud of you for sticking with it!! And researching and dispelling misinformation! Way to go Mama!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Alllllll of this!! :)

Quoting audmom1218:

Sounds all normal except the not pumping at work. I know it's an awkward converted to have but I would definitely find a way to pump at work. Frequency of feedings, pump output and baby behavior are NOT supply indicators. Only dipes.

And babies will change their eat/sleep patterns multiple Times their first year. Best thing to do Is to accept it, go into survival mode if needed (only activities required to sustain life, no extra and dad helps pick up the slack). 4 months was a nasty sleep regression for us. And I felt like I was constantly nursing. I also noticed that she nurses more after I've been away (even if its only an hour) as a way to say "mommy I missed you I need to reconnect".

After a brutal start you're doing so much better than you know! From here on out,

1.) FIND A WAY TO PUMP AT WORK! At least once in the middle of a 7 hr shift and right before you leave. Cripes, when I worked at a restaurant the cooks were allowed more smoke breaks than that!!

4.) bottles are on a schedule, boob is on demand. If baby is used to being overfed set up rules for daddy. Only leave 1-1.25 oz per hour your away. I prefer to leave 2oz every 2 hrs. But you could nurse right before you go, leave a 3 oz bottle for halfway through a 7 hr shift then nurse right when you get home.

5.) (most important). Give yourself a mental high five! You're doing great! And so proud of you for sticking with it!! And researching and dispelling misinformation! Way to go Mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sprtam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Amazing! Thank you! Such good information. This really puts my mind at ease.

Quoting audmom1218:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
And she couldn't be more right. You're doing awesomely, keep up the good work mama and congrats on overcoming all those obstacles!!!

Quoting Sprtam:

Amazing! Thank you! Such good information. This really puts my mind at ease.

Quoting audmom1218:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN