Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

30 weeks pregnant now and will be exclusively breastfeeding after the baby comes. Important questions

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 24 Replies
So I'm going to be a first time mom and young mom. I need to know a few things. When I start breastfeeding do I make up a schedule of how often throughout the day that I breastfeed? If so what if he is sleeping during the time that's set to breastfeed do I wake him for feeding a or let him sleep? (I've heard to never wake a sleeping baby) I'm also having trouble with my mom and mother in law being understanding that I WILL be doing this for at least a year but my mother in law keeps saying oh I couldn't do it long cause my babies seemed so hungry and I didn't think they were getting enough to eat so I fed them other things and formula. And I'm afraid if I ever left the baby with her she would sneak him food that I told her not to and things like that which I won't stand for. I'm really needing some advice. And questions answered :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexvitte
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I breast fed my son until he was 9 months. The first 3 days I did have to wake him up because all he wanted to do was sleep, even when he was eating he would fall asleep, after that I would just feed him when he was hungry and that was every 2 hrs. As he got older he would eat every 3 hrs, then every 4 hrs. I started giving him baby food at 6 months and by 12 months he was eating regular food. As for your mother in law, when he is born try not to leave him with her that often, and have a serious talk with her about it
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM
#Well, first thing, you nurse on demand. Baby will tell you when he/she is hungry, so look for cues, such as baby turning head, opening mouth, trying to suck on hands, if baby is crying to eat, you waited to long. Newborns will may want ti nurse all day, that is fine and doesnt indicate that you dont have enoufg milk. That is how your milk supply is established and how your body know how much to continue to make, the more baby nurses, the more your body will make.

Second, there will always be nay sayers.....its simply out of ignorance. Some are set in their thinkng and others are more open to recievin info. Its always helpful.to have supportive people, but not necezsary to successful nursing if you ate educated. I suggest doin lots of readng. "The womanly art of breastfeeding" is great, so is www.kellymom.com www.llli.org has info, la leche league leaders with lots of bfeastfeeding information and help, and on the website you can find info on local meetings to meet other breastfeedinf moms and build a support group. Here of course is a great resource as well! Gl!
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

No schedules.  Breastfed baby do not thrive on schedules.  They need to eat whenever they want.  And sometimes, that is all the time.  Unless there is a medical issue, you don't need to wake a sleeping baby to feed them.  They will wake up when they're hungry.

You will know your baby is getting enough to eat by counting the number of diapers he/she had during a 24 hour period.  After the first week, baby should have 6+ diapers a day.  As long as the diaper count is good, the amount of milk is good.

If you have ANY doubt that your MIL or your own mother would not follow your instructions and potentially do something dangerous, like feed the baby solids, then do not leave the baby with them.  This is your baby.  Even though you are young, you're going to have to put your foot down with them.  It doesn't matter what they did and why.  This is what YOU'RE going to do.

CarolineVm.t.b
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Thank you! I have a hard time standing up for myself but this is something I will do for my child. I'm already super protective of him and he's still not born yet. But I'm worried that if I'm asleep when he gets hungry I won't hear him making little noises or anything :( will I know when he's waking up? His bassinet is going to be right by my bed. I just want to be sure I'm able to jump right on it when he lets me know he's hungry.

Quoting jackiewal10:

No schedules.  Breastfed baby do not thrive on schedules.  They need to eat whenever they want.  And sometimes, that is all the time.  Unless there is a medical issue, you don't need to wake a sleeping baby to feed them.  They will wake up when they're hungry.

You will know your baby is getting enough to eat by counting the number of diapers he/she had during a 24 hour period.  After the first week, baby should have 6+ diapers a day.  As long as the diaper count is good, the amount of milk is good.

If you have ANY doubt that your MIL or your own mother would not follow your instructions and potentially do something dangerous, like feed the baby solids, then do not leave the baby with them.  This is your baby.  Even though you are young, you're going to have to put your foot down with them.  It doesn't matter what they did and why.  This is what YOU'RE going to do.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL.  Oh...you'll know.  They aren't quiet.  And you won't sleep nearly as well then and you do now.  And then not for the rest of your life. :)

Quoting CarolineVm.t.b:

Thank you! I have a hard time standing up for myself but this is something I will do for my child. I'm already super protective of him and he's still not born yet. But I'm worried that if I'm asleep when he gets hungry I won't hear him making little noises or anything :( will I know when he's waking up? His bassinet is going to be right by my bed. I just want to be sure I'm able to jump right on it when he lets me know he's hungry.

Quoting jackiewal10:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Quoting CarolineVm.t.b:

So I'm going to be a first time mom and young mom. I need to know a few things. When I start breastfeeding do I make up a schedule of how often throughout the day that I breastfeed?
Nope. Get rid of all timepieces. Nurse on demand. Count dipes to know baby is getting enough... 1 per day of life in week one, 6-8 changes per day thereafter.
If so what if he is sleeping during the time that's set to breastfeed do I wake him for feeding a or let him sleep?
Let him sleep UNLESS there is jaundice present or you're not changing the requisite numebr of diapers.
(I've heard to never wake a sleeping baby) I'm also having trouble with my mom and mother in law being understanding that I WILL be doing this for at least a year but my mother in law keeps saying oh I couldn't do it long cause my babies seemed so hungry and I didn't think they were getting enough to eat so I fed them other things and formula.
Tell her you've been taught how to know baby is getting enough.. by counting dipes. They can help you by keeping track of the changes. And they are in charge of feeding YOU if they must feed someone... since no one thought to issue moms extra sets of hands you may find yourself unable to feed yourself. I remember my mom feeding me like I was a little bird!
And I'm afraid if I ever left the baby with her she would sneak him food that I told her not to and things like that which I won't stand for. I'm really needing some advice. And questions answered :/

Don't leave baby alone with anyone you don't trust. No matter WHO they are. Get Dad on board with this; his mother is NOT to give baby anything you haven't personally approved.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Yep. Stock up on sleep now. Once baby arrives you will never sleep a full night again. 

Ever. (More wisdom from my mom... she never slept a full night again, from age 35 to 75. Yep, 40 years of "it's always something" keeping her awake!)

Quoting jackiewal10:

LOL.  Oh...you'll know.  They aren't quiet.  And you won't sleep nearly as well then and you do now.  And then not for the rest of your life. :)

Quoting CarolineVm.t.b:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Pretty much what the PPs said. Nurse on demand. I don't wake Lexi to eat. She wakes when she is hungry. Count diapers: 1 per day of life in week one, 6-8 changes per day thereafter. Pretty sure poops count as 2.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

No schedule, feed the baby whenever he wants as often as he wants.

I never woke my kids to eat, unless I was having engorgement issues and needed some relief.

Breastfed babies do seem hungry all the time, they eat more often then FF babies. Expect it, and be ready to feed him again 45 mins after you finish feeding him. Sometimes sooner sometimes later.

Everyone's a formula pusher these days, ignore them. If your baby's peeing and pooping he's eating just fine and tell them not to worry about it. Stay strong :)

I suggest co-sleeping (as long as you're not a coma sleeper and feel comfortable and will do it safely) I'm not sure I could make it EBF without the baby in my bed.

Don't panic if you can't pump anything. Do you mind if I ask how old you are? And congrats on the new baby! Breastfeeding is wonderful and so very worth it, even when you hit bumps in the road. It's the best thing you can do for the baby AND for you.

Radellia
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Nurse on demand! Just when you think you've got a schedule going... It will change! I've got a 2 week old...

At first I would wake my son if he didn't wake on his own to eat (he slept well at night, so I was waking him every 3 hours or so), I stopped doing this when he has regained his birthweight and still producing enough diapers and still gaining well... Now I wait til he wakes me up!

I hear you with your mom/MIL... Mine is the same way! She keeps trying to push supplementing if I've had a rough day, she even brought formula over the first time she came to visit! Just stick to your guns and tell then he is breastfed only! Don't let them watch him alone until they can respect your wishes! A friend of mine packs her son's food whenever he stays with her MIL (he's a year) its expected that she only use what was brought with him, nothing else (she over packs to make sure there is enough)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)