Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

30 weeks pregnant now and will be exclusively breastfeeding after the baby comes. Important questions

So I'm going to be a first time mom and young mom. I need to know a few things. When I start breastfeeding do I make up a schedule of how often throughout the day that I breastfeed? If so what if he is sleeping during the time that's set to breastfeed do I wake him for feeding a or let him sleep? (I've heard to never wake a sleeping baby) I'm also having trouble with my mom and mother in law being understanding that I WILL be doing this for at least a year but my mother in law keeps saying oh I couldn't do it long cause my babies seemed so hungry and I didn't think they were getting enough to eat so I fed them other things and formula. And I'm afraid if I ever left the baby with her she would sneak him food that I told her not to and things like that which I won't stand for. I'm really needing some advice. And questions answered :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Replies (21-24):
ali840
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
someone mentioned no bottles in the hospital, remember no pacifiers, either. Pacifiers are for bottle fed babies. If the breastfed baby wants to suck, he should be nursing. It sounds like this baby already has a great mom, good luck with the house (and the mil)!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
You're already doing great! This little person can't defend themself, so it's up to you! You can do it :) and we're always here for vents or advice.

Quoting CarolineVm.t.b:

Thank you! I have a hard time standing up for myself but this is something I will do for my child. I'm already super protective of him and he's still not born yet. But I'm worried that if I'm asleep when he gets hungry I won't hear him making little noises or anything :( will I know when he's waking up? His bassinet is going to be right by my bed. I just want to be sure I'm able to jump right on it when he lets me know he's hungry.

Quoting jackiewal10:

No schedules.  Breastfed baby do not thrive on schedules.  They need to eat whenever they want.  And sometimes, that is all the time.  Unless there is a medical issue, you don't need to wake a sleeping baby to feed them.  They will wake up when they're hungry.

You will know your baby is getting enough to eat by counting the number of diapers he/she had during a 24 hour period.  After the first week, baby should have 6+ diapers a day.  As long as the diaper count is good, the amount of milk is good.

If you have ANY doubt that your MIL or your own mother would not follow your instructions and potentially do something dangerous, like feed the baby solids, then do not leave the baby with them.  This is your baby.  Even though you are young, you're going to have to put your foot down with them.  It doesn't matter what they did and why.  This is what YOU'RE going to do.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, you can EBF until a year! Solids should never be given before at least 6 months, only breastmilk. Food before one is just for fun!

Original poster : Also it will seem that you are breastfeeding baby 24/7 for the first 6-8 weeks, completely normal and expected after that it will taper off, but once you've made it through those first few weeks it will be seconf nature annd become one of your most rewarding experiences as a new mommy. Good luck and way to go on doing your research before baby gets here tto be prepared, you're going to be an awesome mommy! Congrats!!!

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

do not set a schedule, when baby hungry, TRUST ME, he'll tell you

explain to mil BEFORE baby is here what your expectations are should she watch them

you cannot exclusively bf for a year, after 4-6 months, baby will need other foods/nutrients, but you CAN still bf after you've started "solids" (read, purees)

good luck, mama, and remember you CAN do it!

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

As soon as baby is born, he should go right up on your chest.  Don't let the nurses take him away so they can get their paperwork done.  All that can be done later.  You want him to be skin to skin as much as possible and start BF within his first hour of life.  Putting him skin to skin as soon as he's born helps him regulate his temp, blood sugar, etc.  as well.

I remember being quite selfish with my baby boy (he'll be a year old in 10 days, so sad!).  I kept him skin to skin for most of the time.  He was not passed around like a sack of potatoes lol.  Not very many people got to hold him.

Also, don't send your baby to the nursery.  Keep him in the room with you always.  Don't worry about sounding "mean" or "pushy" or whatever.  Make sure every nurse you see knows you are breastfeeding and you do not want your son having any formula, sugar water, or a pacifier.

Good luck and congrats!!

ETA: At the hospital I work at, we make sure our moms and babies do skin to skin as soon as baby is delivered and for at least an hour.  So whoever is going to be in the room with you, make sure they know baby will be on your chest for a while.  No passing him around :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)