Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

C-Sections and Breastfeeding question

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 37 Replies

Hey ladies! I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant, and there is a possibility that I might have to have a c-section. I haven't decided yet, but that's another post for another day lol. Have any of you had a c-section? How does that affect Breastfeeding, or does it? I'm afraid having to have a c-section might interfere with my supply. What should I do if it does affect my supply, or should I just worry about that when the time comes? 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I had a c-section because my daughter was breech. It didn't effect my supply at all. I was able to breastfeed her within 30 minutes of delivery. It does take a little longer for milk to come in after a csection (mine took 5 days) but all baby needs at that time is colostrum. Don't worry about supply problems until you have them... chances are you won't! :)

Albond86
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I think when you get your first skin to skin bonding time effects things more then a csection! My first I didn't bond with him for over two hours! He was an emergency csection. My second I got skin to skin and was able to get her to latch while I was still on the OR table! I wasn't successful with my son due to many other factors, but I feel that key bonding time helped set us up for failure. My dd is 8 months and still nursing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMammary
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I recommend you go to the Ican-online.org forum, where there are lots of people with expertise and experience in this topic. ICAN is the international Cesaerean Awareness Network. I, too, had C/S, and was able to immediately breastfeed, but many many many do not have that experience. Also the C/S made it very very very difficult to take care of the baby. I had to learn a "football" hold because I could not hold my baby against my belly. It's been nearly 3 years and I still have pain from the C/S. I know a woman with pain 30 years later. A C/S is an emergency measure, don't let a surgeon who only has something to gain and nothing to lose make a choice that will affect you for the rest of your life. Good luck!

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
The only thing it might affect is your ability to get into a confortable nursing position. It will not affect your supply in any way, your baby's nursing habits is what determines and regulates your supply.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I had an emergency csection. I didn't get to hold dd until she was over 2 hours old because she had to be on extra oxygen. But once we were reunited she latched right on and stayed there lol. Less that 24hrs after her birth my milk came in full force.
The best thing you can do is to get baby on the breast as soon as possible and let baby nurse as much as he/she wants. Just know that weight loss is normal, it can take up to a week for milk to come in BUT colostrum is all baby needs until milk comes in. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Oh and I found the football hold not only gave us the greatest latch, but also prevented having to put pressure on my incision.
If you can avoid a csection, seriously avoid it. I wouldn't wish a csection on anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I had a c-section. IMO, most important thing is to ask to see the baby right after you are stitched up & do skin to skin & offer nursing.

My friend was separated from baby at her hospital for 4 hours so she could 'recover'. She was still able to bf, but I found that ridiculous.

We had a ton of issues - tongue tie, clogged ducts, mastitis, thrush, baby had 'mouth issues'....just remember that almost every nursing issue can be solved
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I wouldn't wish it on anyone either! The recovery is brutal. Ugh!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Oh and I found the football hold not only gave us the greatest latch, but also prevented having to put pressure on my incision.
If you can avoid a csection, seriously avoid it. I wouldn't wish a csection on anyone.

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I've had 3 sections and the only issues I had we're form "medical professionals" trying to help with my first. With this last one my first nurse wouldn't give me my pain meds because I was nursing so I requested a new nurse.

The first time it took close to 5 days for my milk to come in, second time it was just before I left the hospital and this time it was 2 days. I personally never got the hang if the football hold. I just nursed in the cradle hold with a pillow over my stomach.

I think the reason my milk came in faster with my last 2 (besides being second and third babies) is I stated on top of my pain meds for the first 4-5 days. I think it tricked my body into healing faster and making milk because I wasn't focusing on the pain. With my first I tried to be superwoman and I refused pain meds alot.
juniorsmommie12
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I had to a csection due to me going from 8cm to 5cm which was horrible. I was in so much pain and my contrations were all over the place. I had my son on June 13th 2012 and my milk actually came an hour after having him. lol The nurses were surprised. :) He is now almost 9months and still going. I think he believes my boobies are his best friends. (he won't let his dad near them) It didn't hurt my supply but it did hurt my stomach because it caused me to have some harsh contrations for the first couple of hours. :) But you can do it!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)