Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

That's not a low supply, sorry....

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
I was talking to a mom. She has a 'low supply' so she pumps twice a day & feeds it to her LO through SNS. And has been doing this since her LO was like a month old & is almost a year now.

Any other supplements? No, but she is still insistent that she has a low supply.

Sigh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Italiancouture7
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I hate when people say they have a low supply so they stop nursing. I swear it drives me NUTS lol.. IDK why but it does. Thats the one thing I hear from every mom that quits nursing after 1-3 months. "I have a low supply he/she just isnt getting enough" .. They dont realize the supply and demand factor so they just give up. If your only nursing 4-5 times a day that is SOOO not enough!! My DD literally nursed around the clock. We probably nursed twice an hour. Yes its time consuming and exhausting but thats how you build up your supply. I think a lot of women deny their baby breastfeeding when they are crying because they think they are only supposed to nurse a handful of times a day when thats just not the case. They are missing opportunities to feed their child and yes they arent getting enough because your not giving enough. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Yea ok! Some people are very uneducated!
Aireeahnah
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I think a lot of mom's focus too much on the clock and try to make their children wait for feeding times. In the beginning, I was instructed to do this by some old fashioned family and peers, even some nurses at the hospital. If you believe that's the way to do it, often I think that forcing your child to wait will discourage them from rooting and wanting to feed until they are STARVING, and the wait probably decreases their supply.

I finally decided to ignore that nonsense, especially as DD went through growth spurts....that's eating 2 or 3 times in the periods she used to eat once, lol.

I think people also don't try hard enough to increase their supply if it diminishes some. You can nurse AND pump..constantly, and eventually with a couple of days your body will make the changes on it's own to satisfy.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

I hate when people say they have a low supply so they stop nursing. I swear it drives me NUTS lol.. IDK why but it does. Thats the one thing I hear from every mom that quits nursing after 1-3 months. "I have a low supply he/she just isnt getting enough" .. They dont realize the supply and demand factor so they just give up. If your only nursing 4-5 times a day that is SOOO not enough!! My DD literally nursed around the clock. We probably nursed twice an hour. Yes its time consuming and exhausting but thats how you build up your supply. I think a lot of women deny their baby breastfeeding when they are crying because they think they are only supposed to nurse a handful of times a day when thats just not the case. They are missing opportunities to feed their child and yes they arent getting enough because your not giving enough. 

CafeMom Tickers
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Uh whacko. What a strange thing to do....maybe she wants to know how much baby is eating, I don't understand how she could actually believe she has a low supply when all of the milk she's feeding is coming from her breasts, doesn't seem at all plausible.
Amber5151
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I hate that excuse. Every time I tell someone I nurse our they see me do it, immediately I'm bombarded with ask the women around telling me how they” couldn't” or had a” low supply” etc etc etc. and I don't want to say ” that's wrong, no you didn't” and try to correct their mindset so I bite my tongue but it's so irritating!
catholicmamamia
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM

eye rolling 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)