Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning due to antidepressants

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi,

I was a semi-active member of this group awhile ago but left cafemom due to it become a bit of an addiction. I came back because I don't really have anyone I can talk to about this particular problem.

I have put off going on antidepressants for a few months because of breastfeeding. The only antidepressant that has worked for me is Pristiq because my depression is somewhat unique. After much researching, I just don't feel comfortable nursing while on it. I need to go on meds though. I feel like the benefits of them in terms of my parenting outweigh the benefits of nursing her at this point.

My 20mo DD nurses only once a day. She doesn't seem attached to nursing because that morning sleepy session is the only one that I've been able to get her to do since around 16mo. She is sick right now, and then we are going on a week long vacation. I plan on attempting to cut back during the vacation, hoping that the change in routine may help the weaning (it may very well have the opposite affect). 

I guess my question is:  How do I deal with the guilt? Logically I know what I'm doing is for the best, but I'm sad about weaning and would like to make this transition as peaceful as possible.

Any suggestions about our situation would be helpful.

Thank you 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this
No guilt momma! 20 months is an amazing feat!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM
After 12 months, you're in "bonus" and I would more easily be able to wean for my own health without self-imposed "guilt", though I'd argue that if there is ever a health issue with mom you should avoid guilting yourself. 20 months is awesome and we are nearing the end of cold and flu season.

I'm curious as to your depression. I've been on a handful of antidepressants, none of which helped at all and then I ended up with SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome, 9 years later I still have some side-effects. It's encouraging to me to hear other meds help other cases. I might PM you with my questions.
Dawkins
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Thank you for your reply! PM me if I can help at all. Pristiq is a huge pain to get off of, but it has few side effects and is the only one that doesn't worsen my emotional "flatness"

Quoting mostlymaydays:

After 12 months, you're in "bonus" and I would more easily be able to wean for my own health without self-imposed "guilt", though I'd argue that if there is ever a health issue with mom you should avoid guilting yourself. 20 months is awesome and we are nearing the end of cold and flu season.

I'm curious as to your depression. I've been on a handful of antidepressants, none of which helped at all and then I ended up with SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome, 9 years later I still have some side-effects. It's encouraging to me to hear other meds help other cases. I might PM you with my questions.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Honestly, if she's only nursing once a day, I wouldn't worry too much about the effects of the meds on her. I don't see any reason to feel guilty for weaning either. YOU HAVE DONE AWESOME!!! You have made it 20 months! That's SO much longer than most people! Keep reminding yourself of that. :) You rock! 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I;m a big believer in the idea that guilt is only useful if you kill something.  I parboiled our goldfish a few years ago. As far as I know, I'm the only one in the group who gets to feel guilt. **grin**

YOU DID GREAT! Time to look forward to the next stage... a lot of guilt has to do with looking back. Look ahead instead; too much time spent looking back means you miss what's right in front of you.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yep this is what I'd say. Congrats on making it this far, you're amazing for doing so!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Honestly, if she's only nursing once a day, I wouldn't worry too much about the effects of the meds on her. I don't see any reason to feel guilty for weaning either. YOU HAVE DONE AWESOME!!! You have made it 20 months! That's SO much longer than most people! Keep reminding yourself of that. :) You rock! 

sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Can I just say how awesome of a mom you are for actually feeling guilty over not feeding her longer than 20 months!?!?!? Omg! That's so selfless of you, that you actually care so much about breastfeeding your baby that you would even feel guilty. I admire you for that. Many women don't feel bad about quitting at 1 month let alone 20! You're a rock star. 

Don't feel guilty, you have NOTHING to be guilty of! :)

Monkeymama930
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I'm on an anti depressant to my son is 17m and my doc said its the timing of when you take the meds. Maybe if you want to keep bf you can work out a time to take the meds that won't affect your baby. But if its time to wean then I understand I need to wean to because I need to go back on some meds I have been off of while bf but its hard to wean because I feel bad about weaning :-( a friend told me to find something special to do with my baby to make me feel close to him. I don't know what that will be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN