Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extended breastfeeding, I need a lot of help

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ok, so first some background. I am currently breastfeeding my 33 month old. Yes, he will be 3 in a few months. I have been breastfeeding non-stop for FIVE years because i nursed my other son through my pregnancy and then nursed both boys for seversl months pp. He is my last child and I wanted to be done by now but I didn't count on his extreme attachment to the breast. He nurses A LOT. I'm talking several times during the day AND night and asks for "boobies" all the time. Normally, I would be OK with him self-weaning but its negatively affecting my health. I'm always tired to the point that it's beyond fatigue. I have zero energy and I force myself through every single day. Even as I write this my head is pounding from exhaustion and I am wishing for sleep. I get headaches and dizziness if I do too much and have to lie down. Let me also add I have less than zero sex drive.
Here's another issue, I nursed three others and not nearly this long. Every time I have held on to a lot of weight until I weaned. I was finally able to lose a good 25 pounds about 6 months ago by using progesterone cream and exercising a lot. Which eventually came to a standstill and I couldn't take off the last 10 pounds no matter what I tried. But, since December, not only am I feeling worse as far as fatigue and general health but also I've been steadily gaining weight back despite eating healthy, drinking tons of water and a bit of exercise when I can muster the energy. I even started the progesterone cream again but it's still coming on with vengeance.
So, I have several questions. First of all, I am not even sure I want to wean but I have tried to get him to cut down with no success. He is very very attached. Its like his best friend, his comfort, his sleep aid, his world. So, what do I do? Secondly, if I want to find out whats wrong with me would I go to my go or the gyno? I feel like my body is betraying me and I'm super depressed. I need help. I feel like I have a chronic disease and I just want to feel normal again.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
First off, i would seek a more natural approach, maybe see a homeopath, herbalist or chiropracter
Second i think diet plays a big role in our health, as does getting enough excercise and sleep.
Third wha about just nightweaning? During the day jus keep offering him healthy fun snacks and drinks.

I dont think.you need to wean to fix the.prblem. let me know if you want any more suggestions. I have tried a few things when i was experiencing similar symptoms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Purplemommi
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Yes, please tell me what you have tried.
Also, I am trying to night wean. I tell him "Boobies needs to sleep at night, just like you need to sleep". When he wakes up i remind him that "boobies needs to sleep" and he fussed and nurses a bit. He has since shortened the duration of the nursing but not the frequency of waking. I nightweaned his brother cold turkey with about 3 days of screaming and crying and he was done. When I tried this with my boobie loving two year old, he wore me out after he screamed a good 5 nights without giving up at all. Still working on it
MrsRinehart2010
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I have the same exaustion problems ect Ive been told by several doctors it from nursing and the only way to get ridof it is to stop nursing which isnt happening lol, my dd is 2

justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I agree. Hugs, mama.

Quoting Precious333:

First off, i would seek a more natural approach, maybe see a homeopath, herbalist or chiropracter

Second i think diet plays a big role in our health, as does getting enough excercise and sleep.

Third wha about just nightweaning? During the day jus keep offering him healthy fun snacks and drinks.

I dont think.you need to wean to fix the.prblem. let me know if you want any more suggestions. I have tried a few things when i was experiencing similar symptoms.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Have you read Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning article? It has helped a LOT of moms on here. That's where I'd start with the constant nursing. 

I agree with Precious333 with the other things, seeking a chiro & and ND, making sure you are eating and drinking correctly, and then worrying about exercise and sleep. How are your vit D levels?  

Purplemommi
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM
As far as vitamin D, I usually try to go for walks but its been so cold lately, we haven't Bern doing outdoor things. I bought my teenage son vitamin D after his coach suggested it, so I do have some on hand that I could take when I am not getting sun.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I would take a more pure and whole diet. That means fresh fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, fish,and nuts, stay away from packaged foods, read all labels. Have cut out sugar before, as well as gluten and dairy. The only thing i cook.with is coconut oil or butter (or ghee), stay away frm sodium in packaged foods, but sea salt is important when cooking Add foods wi probiotics,.like plain yogurt, or fermented foods (saurkraut sp?, kimche, pickles). Stay away from.preservatives, pesticides etc.

There is also the gaps diet (just google gaps)

There are some essential.oils you can try as well to help wih hormone embalance, and if you think that is an issue, i would stay away from soy products (soy is in more things yoi can imagine)

Juicing can help, and there is also another company i represent to help add more fruits and veggies to your diet (message me if u want, i dont want to advertise here)

Also, it may take time for your body to adjust, so you will have to give it time. Remember its important to not just treatbthe symptoms for a temporary fix but give your body a chance to heal.

Quoting Purplemommi:

Also, I am trying to night wean. I tell him "Boobies needs to sleep at night, just like you need to sleep". When he wakes up i remind him that "boobies needs to sleep" and he fussed and nurses a bit. He has since shortened the duration of the nursing but not the frequency of waking. I nightweaned his brother cold turkey with about 3 days of screaming and crying and he was done. When I tried this with my boobie loving two year old, he wore me out after he screamed a good 5 nights without giving up at all. Still working on it

CuSukha
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM
have you been checked for anemia? and also it sounds like it could be your thyroid. Severe symptoms while breastfeeding is not being caused by just breastfeeding if you re getting enough calories and sleep. Check thislink http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/10signs_2.htm
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I would take a more pure and whole diet. That means fresh fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, fish,and nuts, stay away from packaged foods, read all labels. Have cut out sugar before, as well as gluten and dairy. The only thing i cook.with is coconut oil or butter (or ghee), stay away frm sodium in packaged foods, but sea salt is important when cooking Add foods wi probiotics,.like plain yogurt, or fermented foods (saurkraut sp?, kimche, pickles). Stay away from.preservatives, pesticides etc.

There is also the gaps diet (just google gaps)

There are some essential.oils you can try as well to help wih hormone embalance, and if you think that is an issue, i would stay away from soy products (soy is in more things yoi can imagine)

Juicing can help, and there is also another company i represent to help add more fruits and veggies to your diet (message me if u want, i dont want to advertise here)

Also, it may take time for your body to adjust, so you will have to give it time. Remember its important to not just treatbthe symptoms for a temporary fix but give your body a chance to heal.

Quoting Purplemommi:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Quoting CuSukha:

have you been checked for anemia? and also it sounds like it could be your thyroid. Severe symptoms while breastfeeding is not being caused by just breastfeeding if you re getting enough calories and sleep. Check thislink
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/10signs_2.htm

This! I would also be leary of the progesterone cream.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)