Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

saw an LC sorry.

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 26 Replies
Sorry i bother you ladies and post a lot. So I just got back from LC. She said nipples don't look damaged, latch is great. She ate for 25 minutes on right side then 15 on other side. She thinks she has thrush. She said if the white on her tongue gets worse, or if gas gets worse or she gets diaper rash then its thrush. Tries to latch Autumn on but shw screamed and refused. After awhile she latched on and stayed on. She told me instead of letting her nurse on one side then next feeding is next rotate. Both breasts each feeding. She said this way not only this will increase but she will get more fattier milk instead of just watered down milk from nursing on just one side. Now, I forgot to ask when do I switch her to next side.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM
When she finishes one side, burp her and maybe change her (useful if she needs to be woken up) then offer her the other side. Start on this side at the next feeding.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
That LC still isn't quite correct. You don't get less fatty milk from nursing just on one side. It is a good idea to offer both breasts, though, especially if you do not have an oversupply problem. Have any of these LC''s been International Board Certified (IBCLC)?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Im not sure.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

That LC still isn't quite correct. You don't get fattier milk from nursing just on one side. It is a good idea to offer both breasts, though, especially if you do not have an oversupply problem. Have any of these LC''s been International Board Certified (IBCLC)?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Almost anyone can call themselves an "LC". An IBCLC has very extensive, specialized training.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Let baby nurse on one side for as long as she likes then offer the second side. Do not switch after a certain time! Switching breasts during the feeding, before baby drains the first breast, will lead to baby getting LESS fat.

Here's some info for you:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/

What affects the amount of fat and calories in a mother’s milk?

• Mom’s diet? The research tells us that mom’s diet doesnotaffect the average amount of fat or calories in her milk. However, mom can change the types of fat in her milk by altering the types of fats that she eats (Lawrence 1999, p. 106-113, 300-305; Hamosh 1996, Hamosh 1991, p. 123-124). An increase of one fatty acid could generally be expected to occur concurrently with a decrease in another. For example, one study has shown that black mothers in South Africa who eat a traditional maize diet have less monunsaturated fatty acid in their milk than urban mothers who consumed more animal proteins and fats (van der Westhuyzen 1988).
  • The degree of emptiness of the breast is what research has shown to drive breastmilk fat content, and thus calorie content. The fuller the breast, the lower the fat content of the milk; The emptier the breast, the higher the fat content of the milk (Daly 1993). For more information see I’m confused about foremilk and hindmilk – how does this work? and How does milk production work?
    *FULL
    Breast
     = LOWER
    Fat
    Content
    &SLOWER
    Milk
    Production
    *EMPTY
    Breast
     = HIGHER
    Fat
    Content
    &FASTER
    Milk
    Production
  • Breast compression has been shown to increase fat content of milk (Stutte 1988). See Breast compression for more information.

The above information tells us that milk fat may be more effectively increased through ‘mechanical’means (i.e. longer & more frequent feeding, massage, breast compression, expressing foremilk before nursing) than by changing mom’s diet.

See How might I increase baby’s weight gain? for details on increasing baby’s intake at the breast. 

Does the amount of fat in mom’s milk make a difference when it comes to baby’s growth?

The research tells us that baby’s milk intake (the volume of milk – not the amount of fat in that milk) is the only thing that has been correlated with infant growth in exclusively breastfed babies. As noted earlier, average fat content of human milk is highly variable, but has not proven to be significant when calculating baby’s total energy intake

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Thanks I really appreciate the help. How can you tell the breast is empty?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Let baby nurse on one side for as long as she likes then offer the second side. Do not switch after a certain time! Switching breasts during the feeding, before baby drains the first breast, will lead to baby getting LESS fat.

• Mom’s diet? The research tells us that mom’s diet doesnotaffect the average amount of fat or calories in her milk. However, mom can change the types of fat in her milk by altering the types of fats that she eats (Lawrence 1999, p. 106-113, 300-305; Hamosh 1996, Hamosh 1991, p. 123-124). An increase of one fatty acid could generally be expected to occur concurrently with a decrease in another. For example, one study has shown that black mothers in South Africa who eat a traditional maize diet have less monunsaturated fatty acid in their milk than urban mothers who consumed more animal proteins and fats (van der Westhuyzen 1988).
  • The degree of emptiness of the breast is what research has shown to drive breastmilk fat content, and thus calorie content. The fuller the breast, the lower the fat content of the milk; The emptier the breast, the higher the fat content of the milk (Daly 1993). For more information see I’m confused about foremilk and hindmilk – how does this work? and How does milk production work?
    *FULL
    Breast
     = LOWER
    Fat
    Content
    &SLOWER
    Milk
    Production
    *EMPTY
    Breast
     = HIGHER
    Fat
    Content
    &FASTER
    Milk
    Production
  • Breast compression has been shown to increase fat content of milk (Stutte 1988). See Breast compression for more information.

The above information tells us that milk fat may be more effectively increased through ‘mechanical’means (i.e. longer & more frequent feeding, massage, breast compression, expressing foremilk before nursing) than by changing mom’s diet.

See How might I increase baby’s weight gain? for details on increasing baby’s intake at the breast. 

Does the amount of fat in mom’s milk make a difference when it comes to baby’s growth?

The research tells us that baby’s milk intake (the volume of milk – not the amount of fat in that milk) is the only thing that has been correlated with infant growth in exclusively breastfed babies. As noted earlier, average fat content of human milk is highly variable, but has not proven to be significant when calculating baby’s total energy intake

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Baby will usually let go. When baby starts to fall asleep, and/or you notice she is no longer sucking/swallowing as much, then try squeezinf your breast (breast compression) to get the milk flowing. You should see her respond with more sucking/swallowing. When breast compressions no longer work to get her drinking more, then she has probably drained the breast and you can offer the other side.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

*FULL
    Breast
     = LOWER
    Fat
    Content
    &SLOWER
    Milk
    Production
    *EMPTY
    Breast
     = HIGHER
    Fat
    Content
    &FASTER
    Milk
    Production

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Agreed.. :o) 

Quoting maggiemom2000: Let baby nurse on one side for as long as she likes then offer the second side. Do not switch after a certain time! Switching breasts during the feeding, before baby drains the first breast, will lead to baby getting LESS fat. Here's some info for you: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Like hand expressions? Oh that hurts. Take lot to get something out. 7ll do that next feeding.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Baby will usually let go. When baby starts to fall asleep, and/or you notice she is no longer sucking/swallowing as much, then try squeezinf your breast (breast compression) to get the milk flowing. You should see her respond with more sucking/swallowing. When breast compressions no longer work to get her drinking more, then she has probably drained the breast and you can offer the other side.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

*FULL
    Breast
     = LOWER
    Fat
    Content
    &SLOWER
    Milk
    Production
    *EMPTY
    Breast
     = HIGHER
    Fat
    Content
    &FASTER
    Milk
    Production

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Quoting mama-smurf:

Sorry i bother you ladies and post a lot.
That is what this group exists for. No need to apologize.
So I just got back from LC. She said nipples don't look damaged, latch is great. She ate for 25 minutes on right side then 15 on other side.
All good!
She thinks she has thrush. She said if the white on her tongue gets worse, or if gas gets worse or she gets diaper rash then its thrush.
OK. There are great thrush treatments on kellymom.com.
Tries to latch Autumn on but shw screamed and refused. After awhile she latched on and stayed on. She told me instead of letting her nurse on one side then next feeding is next rotate. Both breasts each feeding. She said this way not only this will increase but she will get more fattier milk instead of just watered down milk from nursing on just one side. Now, I forgot to ask when do I switch her to next side.

When baby comes off on her own. Burp, offer the other side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)