Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will this hurt my supply?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I've got some bug...not sure what, but it's gnarly. I've thrown up at least every hour on the hour since 4pm. I'm still nursing DD2 through all of this, but I'm worried it'll dry up my supply if I continue to throw up. Help!
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Stay hydrated and you'll be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jb0520
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I'm new to nursing, heres a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM
And feel better! That tummy bug made its rounds here and it sucks!
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You might suffer a temporary dip in supply but as long as you stay hydrated it's likely that you can avoid that! SIP water, try not to chug as that can make you vomit. Eating small amounts and following the BRAT diet can help too! I hope you feel better soon! Nursing will also help protect your LO.

Also, if you do get worried about supply, count diapers. You are looking for at least 6 in 24 hr periods. 1 diaper is 3tbs liquid, more is 2, poopy is 2. If you are making that minimum of 6, your baby is getting enough! 

Get some rest, and get well!  

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You may notice a drop in supply if you get dehydrated. Don't panic, and don't supplement, just rehydrate and nurse, nurse, nurse! It will come right back, but if you supplement it will take longer.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM
This! No worries mama, hang in there. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

You might suffer a temporary dip in supply but as long as you stay hydrated it's likely that you can avoid that! SIP water, try not to chug as that can make you vomit. Eating small amounts and following the BRAT diet can help too! I hope you feel better soon! Nursing will also help protect your LO.

Also, if you do get worried about supply, count diapers. You are looking for at least 6 in 24 hr periods. 1 diaper is 3tbs liquid, more is 2, poopy is 2. If you are making that minimum of 6, your baby is getting enough! 

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I've been trying to sip water or gatorade and I throw it right up within 10 minutes. At this point, I'm puking nothing but bile. DD2 is 12 months so I guess in the long run, as long as she has solids, she'll be okay.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Please keep sipping! Throwing up water and Gatorade is better than bile any day! Have you tried ginger or peppermint tea?

Quoting robibuni:

I've been trying to sip water or gatorade and I throw it right up within 10 minutes. At this point, I'm puking nothing but bile. DD2 is 12 months so I guess in the long run, as long as she has solids, she'll be okay.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Continue the liquid intake no matter how much you throw up. That's for YOU... not for your supply. Supply will bounce back unless the doc decides chopping off your breasts is the only way to make you well.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Just keep hydrated, hope you feel better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN