Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Upset about donor milk

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 36 Replies

I know this is really stupid, but I'm a tad upset. I'm on the HM4HB site, as well as Eats on Feets. We have a local milk bank. Each time a mom offers milk to give away, I message them. I've offered to drive 300 miles to get it. I have lupus and diabetes, and I'm off my medication right now because it wasn't safe to take while breastfeeding. I'm having some pretty bad symptoms and I need desperately to go back on my meds, but I won't do that until I find donor milk. I would like to try a new med that may be safe while BF, but want to have donor milk just in case I can't. I'm asking for about 100oz, which I know is a lot, but that's about 3 days I'd say, maybe more. That would give me enough time to find more. Most of the offers are for 500-700 oz.

Each time I message a mom, I get NO response. WTF? I sent this message to someone: "Hi! My name is Jessica. My 6 month old son will be in need of donor milk so that I can maintain my health with medication that is not safe while breastfeeding. We are very appreciative of your offer, and know that the babies you help will be, too. Thanks!" and that's it. I'm not super crazy or anything lol. 

It's so frustrating. Some of these moms don't respond to the posts at all. Some don't reply to the messages, even though I can see that they've read them. Grrr! I know it's not my milk and I should be appreciative that they are helping anyone, but I don't understand giving 700oz to a 22mo old with no health issues, versus a 6mo who has never had formula. I'm sure I'm just being silly, so sorry if I am. 

It's just disheartnening. I was a wet nurse, and I donated over 7 gallons of milk to moms in need when my daughter was a baby, and now I can't find 100oz lol. I've been searching for 3 months, too. I guess I'm going to have to go to the milk bank...so expensive! 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I don't know if an option might be to pump and store some of your own milk for now so you can start the new meds. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM
What state are you in?
audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I'm trying to do this. I'm taking Reglan and Fenugreek, Mother's milk tea, milk thistle, oatmeal, lactation cookies lol...I'm not having much luck :(. Thank you, though!!

Quoting Starshine-bela:

I don't know if an option might be to pump and store some of your own milk for now so you can start the new meds. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I'm in Kentucky.

Quoting shortyali:

What state are you in?

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM
:(. I'm in NY and most of my stash is going to another mom on Friday. If I were closer I would love to donate. Maybe a mom here can help out??

Quoting audreesmama:

I'm in Kentucky.

Quoting shortyali:

What state are you in?

Kaitlin123
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Did you check your spam folder? Maybe that's why you are not getting any responses back
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Damn, wish I could help but I don't know anything about properly shipping milk. Good luck. I hope you find someone who can help.

Quoting audreesmama:

I'm trying to do this. I'm taking Reglan and Fenugreek, Mother's milk tea, milk thistle, oatmeal, lactation cookies lol...I'm not having much luck :(. Thank you, though!!

Quoting Starshine-bela:

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
KY where? I'm in Cinci, I don't have nearly 100oz, but I have some.

Quoting audreesmama:

I'm in Kentucky.

Quoting shortyali:

What state are you in?

audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yes, I did. There's nothing in there :(.

Quoting Kaitlin123:

Did you check your spam folder? Maybe that's why you are not getting any responses back

audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm in Lexington. I'm not from here, so I don't know if Cinci is very far away. I'm willing to travel. 

Quoting mckinneymom918:

KY where? I'm in Cinci, I don't have nearly 100oz, but I have some.

Quoting audreesmama:

I'm in Kentucky.

Quoting shortyali:

What state are you in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)