Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rotten teeth! (Lip tie, OT)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 22 Replies
Okay, so now I'm 100% sure DS (18 months) has a substantial lip tie. His frenulum basically cuts right between his two front teeth and goes straight across to the bottom of his upper lip, and I've noticed a decent amount of decay starting on the bottom of these two teeth. Its horrifying to me, as I have struggled with poor dental health my whole life and I just don't want that for him. I started brushing his teeth/ gums regularly when he was 3 months old and he still loves brushing and having his teeth brushed, but it's a major PITA to get to his 2 front teeth and when I do, he clamps his mouth shut! He hasn't been to a dentist yet, we were waiting on delta dental, just finally got it. I'm going to call in the morning to set up his first appointment, but I'm afraid when I bring up the tie, the dentist will likely not see it as a cause for concern and blamee the decay on night nursing or just BFing in general ( that's if I decide to tell him that Cruz is still nursed.) I tried for the life of me to get a pic, but DS just wasn't having it. Anyway I'm not sure what to do? This has me so stressed.....any advice is greatly appreciated! TYIA!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidenmommy2011
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

My son has a stripped crown. He is 22 months old and the dentist is gonna cap it. She told me to night wean. Well she said its time to wean completely, I told her that wasn't a option.  I talked to my pedi and He says while the milk is good for his teeth, it might be time to think about night weaning so that his teeth can stay 'clean' threw out the night and that way no sugar sits on his teeth. To help prevent further decay. Also no fluoride toothpaste. Use safe to swallow till much older. 

aidenmommy2011
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Your baby is younger than mine though. I would see a dentist first before you decide anything. Sorry not much help.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM
3 moms liked this
That's actually not true. Breastmilk has good stuff to fight bacteria in the mouth that causes tooth decay. As long as you brush before bed so the only thing in the mouth is breastmilk, your milk will actually fight tooth decay.

Quoting aidenmommy2011:

My son has a stripped crown. He is 22 months old and the dentist is gonna cap it. She told me to night wean. Well she said its time to wean completely, I told her that wasn't a option.  I talked to my pedi and He says while the milk is good for his teeth, it might be time to think about night weaning so that his teeth can stay 'clean' threw out the night and that way no sugar sits on his teeth. To help prevent further decay. Also no fluoride toothpaste. Use safe to swallow till much older. 

luna321
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I just went through this with my 2 year old son. He has a lip tie too but no one I've taken him to wants to do anything about it, they say its just "cosmetic". Any way he has brown spots just on the front four teeth so I took him to see the dentist and they are calling it "bottle rot" even though he has never had a bottle and we don't do juice or candy and I have been brushing his mouth since before he had teeth twice a day. I tried to tell him I think its from his lip but he just told me to brush better bla bla bla. He didn't really blame breast feeding though though I do wonder if night nurseing is partly to blam. There not doing anything because they think it would be to traumatic for him and the decay has not gone through the teeth yet to form a cavity, still I hate that his teeth are going to be all brown tell he's seven or so and they fall out.

luna321
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM
That makes me feel better, thank you for the info.
Quoting audmom1218:

That's actually not true. Breastmilk has good stuff to fight bacteria in the mouth that causes tooth decay. As long as you brush before bed so the only thing in the mouth is breastmilk, your milk will actually fight tooth decay.

Quoting aidenmommy2011:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Since you're nipple reaches thee back of baby's throat when nursing, the milk does not pool and sit on baby's teeth as with bottle-feeding, there's actually more evidence thst breatmilk is beneficial to baby's teeth and palette formation and not an inkling of proof that it causes decay. Also in my house we use all homeopathic products, including toothpaste 1100% fluoride-free.
I'm absolutely sure the decay is causeed by the lip tie, as it makes it harder for saliva to reach the teeth and keep them clean and bacteria gets plastered on the teeth betwen the lip and frenulum.

Quoting aidenmommy2011:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I think I'm going to print something out on lip ties and how they can cause decay, etc. and take it into the office with me, I doubt it will help much, but its worth a try. I don't want him walking around. with brown teeth, it is not just cosmetic, it can eventually affect his self-esteem as well. Plus I don't want to look like I'm a bad parent and that I don't take care of his dental health :-(

Quoting luna321:

I just went through this with my 2 year old son. He has a lip tie too but no one I've taken him to wants to do anything about it, they say its just "cosmetic". Any way he has brown spots just on the front four teeth so I took him to see the dentist and they are calling it "bottle rot" even though he has never had a bottle and we don't do juice or candy and I have been brushing his mouth since before he had teeth twice a day. I tried to tell him I think its from his lip but he just told me to brush better bla bla bla. He didn't really blame breast feeding though though I do wonder if night nurseing is partly to blam. There not doing anything because they think it would be to traumatic for him and the decay has not gone through the teeth yet to form a cavity, still I hate that his teeth are going to be all brown tell he's seven or so and they fall out.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Its ok, thanks though. I am definitely going to get him to a dentist asap, I just fear the dentist. won't be educated enough to see this as a cause for concern, when really it is.

Quoting aidenmommy2011:

Your baby is younger than mine though. I would see a dentist first before you decide anything. Sorry not much help.

luna321
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM
I know what you mean, way more than cosmetic! And yeah I feel like people are going to think I've been giving him sippy cups of soda or something :/ I got the feeling the dentist didn't really believe me when I told him about what I've been doing (and not doing) for my sons dental health. I don't know where I should take him next or what to do. "sigh" I hope you have better luck then we have had.
Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I think I'm going to print something out on lip ties and how they can cause decay, etc. and take it into the office with me, I doubt it will help much, but its worth a try. I don't want him walking around. with brown teeth, it is not just cosmetic, it can eventually affect his self-esteem as well. Plus I don't want to look like I'm a bad parent and that I don't take care of his dental health :-(

Quoting luna321:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Same here, I also don't allow DS soda, candy, or juices. He has his teeth brushed every morning after breakfast and before bed. I also think the dentist will notice that I don't have the best dental health and assume because of this that I don't take care of my teeth and thus don't take care of his either while neither is true.... Grrr! DS did have bottles at daycare up until he was 9 months old, but his teeth were perfectly fine up until like 15 months when he really started increasing his solid intake, and thus these foods getting trapped in that area, it is not "bottle rot" or from nursing or the decay would have appeared much earlier. Also I know it can cause speech problems, and it seems difficult for him to make certain sounds especially where he has to move his lip to make a particular sound, however this could just be because he's 18 months old ;-) I hope the dentist will agree with me and do something about it, other than give me the spiel you got, unlikely though. :-( Sorry that you're having a hard time with this as well.

Quoting luna321:

I know what you mean, way more than cosmetic! And yeah I feel like people are going to think I've been giving him sippy cups of soda or something :/ I got the feeling the dentist didn't really believe me when I told him about what I've been doing (and not doing) for my sons dental health. I don't know where I should take him next or what to do. "sigh" I hope you have better luck then we have had.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting luna321:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)