Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Trouble latching.....inverted nipple

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son is a week old & for the last couple days he's having trouble latching on to my left breast , which has an inverted nipple. It's out but not a great shape. I have 2 questions. 1st being do y'all have any advice on how I get him successfully latched on. InBF my dd for a year w/o problems so this is totally new for me. any suggestions would be great I know there's milk in there cuz I see it coming out. 2nd i'm also looking for a good pump. I  can not afford the $200-&300  machines.  I am wanting to use it solely for the intention of using it for my left breast thinking that maybe when he gets bigger he'll have an easier time latching on, but as of now I need relief! Thanks for all advice & suggestions

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leakymommy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
A medula hand pump costs arouns $30 and you can buy one at your local drug store or Wal-Mart. Try the football hold when nurseing from your left breast. I have inverted nipples and I only bf with footnall hold for the firsy few weeks. Hope that helps :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hkcason
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I tried that once, but will defiantly try again. That's the way that was recommended to me b/c of my size. Thank you!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
You need nipple shells (not to be confused with shields). The shells are worn when you're not nursing and they will draw out your nipples.
And definitely call your insurance about a pump, they're supposed to cover it (tho some insurances have certain stipulations).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Do you have a nipple shell? Not a shield, a SHELL. You wear it in your bra while you aren't nursing to coax your nipple into a proper shape.
hkcason
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Where do I get those? I will give them a call . Thanks!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

You need nipple shells (not to be confused with shields). The shells are worn when you're not nursing and they will draw out your nipples.
And definitely call your insurance about a pump, they're supposed to cover it (tho some insurances have certain stipulations).

CassaNova
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I have inverted nipples and what helped me was squeezing my areola above the nipple and underneath together and putting the nipple in their mouths, that helped her get a big mouthful of the nipple and a good latch. Keep trying this it takes time! One day my dd just latched
hkcason
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

That makes sence! Thank u!

Quoting CassaNova:

I have inverted nipples and what helped me was squeezing my areola above the nipple and underneath together and putting the nipple in their mouths, that helped her get a big mouthful of the nipple and a good latch. Keep trying this it takes time! One day my dd just latched

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Walmart, Target, Baby's R Us, some pharmacies like Walgreen and Rite Aid. They're not too hard to find :)

Quoting hkcason:

Where do I get those? I will give them a call . Thanks!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM

How to draw out the nipple so baby can latch:

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM

i have this nipple pump i think from babies r us....it draws the nipple out too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN