Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - Pump output equals amount baby is getting

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 248 Replies
4 moms liked this

Today's we're debunking the myth that pump output equals the amount baby is getting. 

Babies are more efficient than a pump when it comes to getting milk from the mother's breast. The best indication of how much your little one is getting is the number of wet diapers. Babies over a week old should have at least 6 wet diapers/day. Extremely wet diapers and poop diapers count as 2. Babies under a week, should have one wet diaper per day of life (1 wet diaper at a day old, 2 at 2 days old, etc.)

Here are a couple things to remember:

• Some moms don't respond at all to a pump.
  • The average pump output is 0.5-2 oz, combined of both breasts.

Do you pump or do you exclusively put baby to the breast? Have you ever had any problems pumping? What would you add to help debunk this myth, if anything?

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha! Very fitting title after monicavs post yesterday!!

When I went back to work my inlaws were giving 6oz bottles every 2-3 hours! I was in tears because my supply crashed in a matter of weeks! My oversupply of pumping 12oz per missed feeding was down to 1oz every 2 hrs. Funny thing is once bottle sizes went down to 2oz every 2 hrs, (took lots of educating on my part) my pump output rebounded back up! She had stopped nursing as much at night telling my body to slow down production, once the demand from her reverse cycling came back, so did my pump response!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
merinasmommy
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
i pump once a day(in the morning) so i can have some in the freezer for just in case.i get about 2oz each time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooked18
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I didn't have any trouble pumping right after ds was born, there were times I could pump 5oz, but that's went away quickly! Now when I pump nothing comes out and ds is still growing so he is def getting milk when he eats I can also hear him swallow it
SadieJames
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
5 moms liked this

I would add just because you can pump 17 oz doesn't mean that's what baby is eating either!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
This is such a big myth, especially among uneducated medical professionals. I never really needed to pump. I did it a just few times before I was comfortable NIP and it would literally take me days to pump a 3oz bottle lol, but I had milk, lots of it, I just had a crappy pump that I didn't respond to. If I had relied on pump output to determine my supply (which unfortunately so many do), I would've never been successful with breastfeeding. Lucky for me (and dd), I educated myself and we're still going strong at 2 years! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I nurse( hate pumping). I do pump in the morning to have a stash. I am starting grad school.
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I used to ep bc we had problems in the beginning. I had great outputs, so much so that I was able to donate aeound 150oz. I hated pumping though and have done it since I got baby back to the breast. He is 9 months now so if we go on a date night I can leave a sippy with water and some solids and he does great (even before solids, once I started nursing full time he would refuse a bottle and would stay at my parents house for 2-3hrs wo taking milk. He would rather wait to get it straight from the tap!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I only pump for an occasional outing. We're going out Saturday and I'll have to pump all week to leave him 3-3 oz bottles. Does not mean i have low supply! Diapers are looking good :)
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I don't pump anymore but when I did, I was lucky enough to be able to pump plenty for my dd while I worked. I do my best to tell bf moms that pump output is irrelevant to what baby gets while nursing. It's a hard myth to debunk!

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
With my DD I had to eat oatmeal daily to be able to pump in 4 sessions the 6ozs she needed for the next day. If I skipped oatmeal then she only got about 2-3ozs total all of those sessions combined. Yet she was putting on weight and putting out the diapers so I knew she was getting enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN