Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - There are no benefits to breastfeeding over a year

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 216 Replies
3 moms liked this

Today's myth we are debunking is breastfeeding over a year offers no benefits

We're told by many, especially those in the medical profession that there are no benefits of breastfeeding past a year, that you should wean, however the WHO (World Health Organization) recommends breastfeeding until at least 2 years, if possible.

A child's immune system isn't fully mature until sometime between the ages of 2-5. Until it is fully matured, offering breastmilk can help to complement and boost baby's immune system, protecting them further. 

Did you know that the WHO recommends breastfeeding until the age of 2? Does this make you want to continue breastfeeding past a year? How long have you been breastfeeding?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM

i bf my dd til she was 2 as well...the others didn't nurse quite as long...

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I didn't even know about the WHO. Lol. I'm going to continue breastfeeding until DS says we stop. We have been nursing for 1 year, 1 month, 2 weeks & 2 days.

mewebb82
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I did know and I'm hopeful we will make it at least to 18 months. Little man is 3 months now so we have a long ways to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I don't want tonurse pas 1.
pochaccotx
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I bf my 1st till he was 21 months. Now I'm bf my 2nd and he is 2months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I didn't know at first. My goal was a year. During that year I learn about the WHO recomendation. So I kept nursing we made it to 23 month until she lost interest.

This kid my goal is 2 years. :)
LuluLinden
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I'm at 2 now. I've read the immune system continues to grow and change till 6 and that breastfeeding till at least 2 protects the mother against type 2 diabetes.

mrstheriault
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM
5 moms liked this

i knew extended breastfeeding was nothing but beneficial, though i didn't know the specific recommendations. after all how could the perfect food for our children suddenly become useless just because they reached the 12th month? 

i can definitely see in my son the benefits he gets from being breastfed. he hasn't been sick yet (thank goodness and knock on wood) and i do believe it's a contributing factor because neither have i and he's receiving my immunities.

he's 10 days shy of 8 months, and that's how long i've been breastfeeding. my minimum goal is to make it to a year because then he wouldn't require a formula compensation. if he's ready to continue past then (which i feel he will be) i will not insist that he should stop.

my son loves nursing more than anything right now, and i love having that bond with him and being his comfort and nourishment, just as i was before he was born.  i have no intention of cutting him off from that. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Since joining this group i to want to breastfeed full term. Before i wanted to wean by 12 months.
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I did not know about the WHO until I joined this group, so I had no idea about the recommendation. I do want to breastfeed longer than a year. I will be breastfeeding for one year exactly tomorrow (3/15) and I see no end to it anytime soon, and that's fine by me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)