Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - Frequent nursing sessions cause problems

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

Frequent nursing sessions cause problems is the myth we are debunking today.

Some of the problems frequent nursing supposedly causes are poor milk production, weak let-down responses, unsuccessful nursing, postpartum depression, problems with mom/dad's relationship, and obesity later in life. None of these are true.

Frequent nursing actually helps milk production, let-down and being successful. Nursing on demand is important to the health of your breastfeeding experience. Frequent nursing usually only lasts such a short time (first couple of months with many babies) that it shouldn't cause any problems with mom/dad's relationship. Breastfeeding on demand also helps babies to learn when they are hungry and when they're not.

Have you heard these myths before? What other myths have you heard related to frequent nursing?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ptowncards05
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I was told with my first two that I didn't make enough cause they nursed so much, even though they gained weight and had plenty of diapers. So untrue!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I never heard this one. Wouldn't have listened to it anyway. I nursed frequently to relieve engorgement. I know that milk extracted=more milk made, but it was too hard to ignore the discomfort of full breasts.

JTE11
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told by a home nuse that I had to wait until 'feeding times' to BF DD because my milk had to  "build up" and that if I nursed too often I would never have enough. This is a woman who got belligerent with me for not supplementing with formula while waiting for my milk to come in (it took one whole day, she was convinced DD would starve to death on colostrum only)...SO it was pretty obvious she had no idea what she was talking about. Anyway, babies get hungry when they are hungry and it makes no sense to wait until arbitrary feeding times. When nurses say things like that it's kind of shocking how wrong they can be.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I was always told that it took a few hours to "fill up" lol.... not true!
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I've neverheard this.  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I only heard this when I found CafeMom 6 years ago.
I knew that milk was made on demand and nursing on demand was best for my baby and my supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
risaspieces
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Myths like these make me so thankful that my mom talked about bfing with me. I've never heard this myth or any regarding frequent nursing.
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I've been told many times that my milk was lacking because baby just ate an hour ago or 30 minutes ago or so on. I just ignore it.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I've always heard the opposite.

collinsmommy0
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Yes, I've heard it :/

I've heard a lot of 'you must schedule baby!' And 'baby will get too attached to you'

The most annoying myth I hear (& I hear it often) is 'I have low supply'. Most of the time that isn't true.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN