Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - Frequent nursing sessions cause problems

Posted by   + Show Post

Frequent nursing sessions cause problems is the myth we are debunking today.

Some of the problems frequent nursing supposedly causes are poor milk production, weak let-down responses, unsuccessful nursing, postpartum depression, problems with mom/dad's relationship, and obesity later in life. None of these are true.

Frequent nursing actually helps milk production, let-down and being successful. Nursing on demand is important to the health of your breastfeeding experience. Frequent nursing usually only lasts such a short time (first couple of months with many babies) that it shouldn't cause any problems with mom/dad's relationship. Breastfeeding on demand also helps babies to learn when they are hungry and when they're not.

Have you heard these myths before? What other myths have you heard related to frequent nursing?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (81-90):
BFinMama
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Mobile Photo

I was told to only nurse every 4 hours... Yeah right! We nurse on demand
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

There was no set schedule with either of my boys, nursed on demand and 1st was easier, but milk supply was never an issue.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Love this photo! 

Quoting BFinMama:
Mobile Photo

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

It is astounding how many old myths are still around and I hear on a regular basis.. :o( 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mummy2Connor
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I never heard any of those myths before, in relation to frequent nursings. I nursed as often as my son would allow to help ease engorgement, anyways!

gabrielsmama777
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I have never heard this myth but have had people think I was feeding my kids too often because they were unfamiliar with breastfeeding.

MamaLauraWilson
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Yes I have heard it in connection with worry that the baby isn't getting enough and tthat I will spoil them. Silliness.
Ditzoid
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My two nursed around the clock for the first couple months. I just went with it. I figured on demand meant on demand. Other moms I know felt very stressed by this and some quit breastfeeding, assuming they weren't making enough milk. I just figured my kids were hungry and growing or seeking comfort and they knew better than I did what they needed. It worked out perfectly even though it was physically and emotionally tiring for the first two months or so each time. 

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

by Head Admin on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM

congratulations       ....and the WINNER is... lovemymarine18   

You have won a CafeMom coffee mug!

19_mommy
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I get told I'm teaching her its ok to over eat. I was like she's 2months old an weighs 9 lbs she isn't over eatin
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)