Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - You can hold your baby too much

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 183 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's myth is you can hold your baby too much.

This is indeed a myth. Studies have shown that babies who are held when their younger, cry far less and become more secure as they get older. 

Some great ways to hold baby and still be able to do things around the house is by wearing her. Some great options for baby wearing are wraps, slings, mei tais and good supportive soft structure carriers-Ergos, Bobas, Becos are good options. 

Babywearing is also a great option for dad to bond with baby, too. 

Do you think you can hold a baby too much? Do you babywear? Show us a picture of you and/or dad wearing baby. 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Its called love. Ypu waites for this babyfor 9 months probably longer and you want to just let them cry and break their heart? No way. My daughter gets shown love and that mommys here for her. I hold her as much as I can. Babys cant manipulate you. They're born scared, helpless and longing to be loved by their mommy, not to manipulate. They just wanna be close to use like they were inside us. =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Oh I baby wear once in awhile. My bf doesn't, he said its not manly.
IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I was told we would spoil him if he wa held to much and that he wouldn't get away and would be attached to me and all this stuff. Honestly he's become more independent as he gets older (he's one now) and I don't regret holding and nursing ALOT :)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Here's my new ergo. I also have a moby but he's getting too big!
Mrs.Brugger
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I can't hold my baby enough! Even my son, I loved holding my babies! I never had any sort of carrier with my son, but I LOVE my MOBY for my daughter! I want to get a MOBY-GO now that she's getting older!

ptowncards05
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I held all my kids as much as they wanted!! I tried baby wearing but I swear all my kids hated it lol.
aimhawk
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I don't think you could ever hold a child too much. Its reassuring for them. Plus, I love to snuggle with my babies. We used to baby wear, but now we just carry. And DS is big enough now that he wants to walk around on his own.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I baby wear sometimes. My son doesn't seem to love it. I try to hold him as much as I can. He will only be this little once.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Never believed this one! I love my maya wrap. I have a picture of me carrying two 20lb water skis with dd in my wrap in my back. It's so handy and I can get so much more done! She's a busy toddler now so we mostly use it for trips out but when she was itty bitty she was always held!
conweis
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My baby is held all the time. To him I am only a milk dispenser atm. When he sees me his eyes go straight to my chest and does sucking motions. I carry him in a mei tai sash. I love it but won't carry him while in the kitchen. You are suppose to carry your baby. It is stange to me why people think holding a baby is wrong..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN