Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'd like to know what you ladies think. Please read all because I tend to ramble and get off topic. **it's a long post**

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

I went to visit my friend today and I use the word losely. 

She's the type of person that HAS to be right 100% of the time and she makes me feel like a ditz. 

Plus, she told me I was a ditz while in the hospital doped on medicine. 

Anyways.......this is her first time breastfeeding because this is her first baby (she was told all of her life that she couldn't have children)

So she's having issues breastfeeding because her son will literaly suck all of the milk out of both breasts that it will hurt her. Her son is 6 weeks old, btw. 

She says that he wants to eat every 45 minutes and she can't nurse him because there's not milk that comes out. She has tried cluster feeding for a month and it still doesn't work because she still doesn't produce enough to feed him on demand (like when he wants to feed)

Her cousin is a Lactation Consultant and has been by her side since day one. 

Ok so first off I was telling her how my son was sleeping 13 consectutive hours the night before last and how my boobs were engorged. 

And she gave me this lecture on how I can't let that happen because if I do then my milk supply will dry up. And I started talking and she interrupted me, going on about how her cousin is a LC and she told me this and her OB told her the same along with her son's doctor telling me the same thing. She said when different doctors tell me the same thing, I tend to listen so I would pump just enough to you won't go dry. 

Is this true?

And then she's telling me how LC are suppose to be there for you 24/7 to answer your calls and visit you whenever you have problems breastfeeding. 

I said that's how your LC is because she's your cousin and she's family and she told me that's how ALL LC are suppose to be.

Is this also true?

One other thing, since she's having issues with her milk supply I suggested taking Fenugreek because that's what i'm taking to help up my milk supply. I've been taking it for 6 months and it's helping. 

But she keeps talking down to me and telling me how she doesn't want to take it because it says on the bottle not to take it if you are pregnant and breastfeeding. 

well the bottle i have says not to take it if you are pregnant but doesn't say anything about not being able to take it while breastfeeding. 

Ok, 

thank you for reading this. 

If you can answer my questions i would greatly appreciate it. 

My questions are:

can your milk supply go dry if you don't pump your engorged breasts?

are LC suppose to actually be on call and there for you 24/7?

and is fenugreek really bad for you while you are breastfeeding?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this
She's whacked! I did have to pump duribg the night for relief, because the pain of the engorgement was horrible that it woke me, but your supply adjusts as your baby needs less, gets older and sleeps more. LCs are not on call 24/7 however some may choose to be. And you can take fenugreek while BFing, my prenatals say to consult doctor if you're pregnant or BFing, these are meant for pregnant and BFing women, lol. Don't listen to your "friend!"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ajdoma
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well, for one, I took so much fenugreek nursing my youngest adopted son that we both smelled like maple, but I produced 25% more milk for him than for any of his siblings.  For close to 20 years now, a large percentage of adoptive breastfeeding moms have taken it. Just because it has the disclaimer on the bottle doesn't mean that its not safe.  It just means that they haven't studied it for that use. 

As for your baby sleeping that long, and the engorgement,  you could definitely express enough milk so that you are comfortable, but I think your body will adjust to his schedule. 

And, no, lactation consultants are not tied to the phone 24/7 to run to client's homes at all hours.  They have families, too.  She is very fortunate to have someone who is a relative and is willing to do that, but I'm sure her relative is not on call all the time for all of her clients. 

It sounds like this is a person who upsets you a lot, so I think maybe you should limit the time you spend with  her.  You're doing a great job with your baby and you don't deserve to have all this angst!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vinalex0581:

I went to visit my friend today and I use the word losely. 

She's the type of person that HAS to be right 100% of the time and she makes me feel like a ditz. 

Plus, she told me I was a ditz while in the hospital doped on medicine. 

Anyways.......this is her first time breastfeeding because this is her first baby (she was told all of her life that she couldn't have children)

So she's having issues breastfeeding because her son will literaly suck all of the milk out of both breasts that it will hurt her. Her son is 6 weeks old, btw. 

She says that he wants to eat every 45 minutes and she can't nurse him because there's not milk that comes out. She has tried cluster feeding for a month and it still doesn't work because she still doesn't produce enough to feed him on demand (like when he wants to feed)

Her cousin is a Lactation Consultant and has been by her side since day one. 

Ok so first off I was telling her how my son was sleeping 13 consectutive hours the night before last and how my boobs were engorged. 

And she gave me this lecture on how I can't let that happen because if I do then my milk supply will dry up. And I started talking and she interrupted me, going on about how her cousin is a LC and she told me this and her OB told her the same along with her son's doctor telling me the same thing. She said when different doctors tell me the same thing, I tend to listen so I would pump just enough to you won't go dry. 

Is this true?

And then she's telling me how LC are suppose to be there for you 24/7 to answer your calls and visit you whenever you have problems breastfeeding. 

I said that's how your LC is because she's your cousin and she's family and she told me that's how ALL LC are suppose to be.

Is this also true?

One other thing, since she's having issues with her milk supply I suggested taking Fenugreek because that's what i'm taking to help up my milk supply. I've been taking it for 6 months and it's helping. 

But she keeps talking down to me and telling me how she doesn't want to take it because it says on the bottle not to take it if you are pregnant and breastfeeding. 

well the bottle i have says not to take it if you are pregnant but doesn't say anything about not being able to take it while breastfeeding. 

Ok, 

thank you for reading this. 

If you can answer my questions i would greatly appreciate it. 

My questions are:

can your milk supply go dry if you don't pump your engorged breasts?depends..if baby is nursing on demand but sleeps through the night then it wont hurt supply for you to go without pumping, if you go without nursing or pumpig and baby is getting a bottle then YES it would hurt supply

are LC suppose to actually be on call and there for you 24/7?supposed to? no...can be? yes.. my CNM is also an IBCLC and is on call 24/7 for her patients but the IBCLC are not on call 24/7 at the hospital

and is fenugreek really bad for you while you are breastfeeding?fenugreek is perfectly fine, even prenatals say not to take when nursing or pregnant LMAO

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you need to start trusting yourself and doing some of your own research. Honestly you've been here long enough to answer these questions yourself.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Your milk will not dry up just because your baby is sleeping through the night, your supply will adjust to meet babies needs whatever they may be.  I have no idea about the lactation consultant thing, but I doubt many are on call 24/7.  Fenugreek is perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding, it does say on the bottle not to take while pregnant but it's fine to use once baby is born.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Sounds like she is.going to do what she us going to do and wont listen.to you anyways. also, she is in a different situation as uou are, sincd she is havinf supply issues, you are not. She sounds very black and white to me. Anyways, fenugreek is an herb that can help boost supply along with nursing, and should not be taken while pregnant. Hopefully her lc is knowledgable enough to help ger out.

Btw, you ate not a ditz....that was rude of her to say, and i would limit my time with someone who calls me names.
HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

While LC's are willing to be there for you; they also have other moms to help out, so they may not always be there when YOU (general) need them.

Fenugreek is not bad for you while you are breastfeeding, but if you (general) have questions contact you doctor.

I don't know if your supply will go down if you don't pump, but I wouldn't think so?

snglemomto1grl
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

you don't have to pump but it is encouraged if baby goes more than 5 hrs at night just so u dont have low supply. i used fenugreek. nothing wrong with it. you will not dry up.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Bahahaha.... sorry your cousin is just cracking me up. Being engorged will not make you dry up. It tells your body that milk is not needed at *that* time.... not ever lol. Your supply will regulate soon and more than likely if he continues to sleep all night then he will make up for it. You can pump for comfort if you are in pain but it's not necessary. Fenugreek has mixed reviews but i say if it is not having adverse affects you and your baby continue taking it. And her LC is most likely only there 24/7 because they are related. Most will answer a quick phone question for the first month or 2 but all of them in my area you have to make an appt days in advance. Your friend sounds like the ditz in this relationship.... you however are very smart in coming to us :) and just about any nurse can take a quick bfing course and slap an "LC" behind their name but the people who go through years of school and training are IBCLC's.
MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Wrong. Unless mom is not making enough (only way to tell this is by diaper count) or trying not to feed baby (i.e. encouraging STTN) then pumping will only encourage an oversupply.

Quoting snglemomto1grl:

you don't have to pump but it is encouraged if baby goes more than 5 hrs at night just so u dont have low supply. i used fenugreek. nothing wrong with it. you will not dry up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN