Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can we talk about oversupply and OALT?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
I think I have been dealing with these issues and not known that either of these could be the problem. None of the women in my family breastfed and I don't have any friends that have breastfed. I feel so happy to have found this site to help give me the help and motivation to keep with it. So how do you know if these are the issues?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulu_tattoos
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Ummmm I'm not an expert by any means but I started block feeding when I was having the same issues. I'm sure some of the moms with awesome links will pop in.

I also joined the kellymom FB group, and that was tons of help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Does baby gulp or choke while nursing? If you pump do you get lots of milk in mere seconds? Those are the two major indicators. Block feeding and reclined nursing are the two major tools... the first involves using ONE breast for all feedings for a "block" of time, say three hours. Reclined nursing means you use a seat that lets you lean back, lay baby OVER you so his mouth is on top of the nipple, not under. Gravity does the rest of the work.

We've got a TON of info linked on the resources sticky too.

Sprtam
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Yes, and yes. I've felt as if I'm drowning him at times. I will look more into block feeding. I've already done this without knowing about it because he seems more calm on the same breast after feeding on it once. Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Does baby gulp or choke while nursing? If you pump do you get lots of milk in mere seconds? Those are the two major indicators. Block feeding and reclined nursing are the two major tools... the first involves using ONE breast for all feedings for a "block" of time, say three hours. Reclined nursing means you use a seat that lets you lean back, lay baby OVER you so his mouth is on top of the nipple, not under. Gravity does the rest of the work.

funhappymom
by Marie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Block feeding is very helpful to many moms. Good luck.

Quoting Sprtam:

Yes, and yes. I've felt as if I'm drowning him at times. I will look more into block feeding. I've already done this without knowing about it because he seems more calm on the same breast after feeding on it once. Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Blockfeeding is great some moms need longer blocks than others I have seen a mom do 12 hours blocks before to help

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Block feeding is the only thing that has helped us. DS goes all day on one boob and all night on the other

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Blockfeeding is great some moms need longer blocks than others I have seen a mom do 12 hours blocks before to help

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Yep its a normal obstacle many moms face in the beginning, if you take these suggestions than you will be able to manage it better and it will fix the problem ovee time :) let us know if you have any more questions :)

Quoting Sprtam:

Quoting gdiamante:

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

this was my problem when I started breastfeeding. The baby would choke or gag and fuss at the boob and I would spray everywhere. my son also had gas and stuff as a result. Block feeding helped a lot.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Block feeding is the only thing that has helped us. DS goes all day on one boob and all night on the other.

Also it helps to feed baby before he become too hungry to avoid fast sucking

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sprtam
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Should I be pumping the other breast during the feedings, after?

Quoting Precious333:

Yep its a normal obstacle many moms face in the beginning, if you take these suggestions than you will be able to manage it better and it will fix the problem ovee time :) let us know if you have any more questions :)

Quoting Sprtam:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)