Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can we talk about oversupply and OALT?

Posted by   + Show Post
I think I have been dealing with these issues and not known that either of these could be the problem. None of the women in my family breastfed and I don't have any friends that have breastfed. I feel so happy to have found this site to help give me the help and motivation to keep with it. So how do you know if these are the issues?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (11-13):
Duquesne
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Pump as little as possible only to relieve engorgement.

Quoting Sprtam:

Should I be pumping the other breast during the feedings, after?

Quoting Precious333:

Yep its a normal obstacle many moms face in the beginning, if you take these suggestions than you will be able to manage it better and it will fix the problem ovee time :) let us know if you have any more questions :)

Quoting Sprtam:

Yes, and yes. I've felt as if I'm drowning him at times. I will look more into block feeding. I've already done this without knowing about it because he seems more calm on the same breast after feeding on it once. Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Does baby gulp or choke while nursing? If you pump do you get lots of milk in mere seconds? Those are the two major indicators. Block feeding and reclined nursing are the two major tools... the first involves using ONE breast for all feedings for a "block" of time, say three hours. Reclined nursing means you use a seat that lets you lean back, lay baby OVER you so his mouth is on top of the nipple, not under. Gravity does the rest of the work.

We've got a TON of info linked on the resources sticky too.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM

when you have baby nurse, or if you pump, you are telling your body to make more milk, so pumping can be counterproductive if you have over supply and overactive letdown. Now, if you become very engorged (rock solid breast) you want to be careful to not get a plugged milk duct, so you may need to express just a little milk just for comfort. Does that answer your question?

Quoting Sprtam:

Quoting Precious333:

Yep its a normal obstacle many moms face in the beginning, if you take these suggestions than you will be able to manage it better and it will fix the problem ovee time :) let us know if you have any more questions :)

Quoting Sprtam:

Yes, and yes. I've felt as if I'm drowning him at times. I will look more into block feeding. I've already done this without knowing about it because he seems more calm on the same breast after feeding on it once. Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Does baby gulp or choke while nursing? If you pump do you get lots of milk in mere seconds? Those are the two major indicators. Block feeding and reclined nursing are the two major tools... the first involves using ONE breast for all feedings for a "block" of time, say three hours. Reclined nursing means you use a seat that lets you lean back, lay baby OVER you so his mouth is on top of the nipple, not under. Gravity does the rest of the work.

Sprtam
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes thank you. Makes perfect sense. I've had a plugged milk duct before and it was very painful. Since my son was on the NICU for two weeks I EP for a little while then pumped to boost my supply. Now that we EB I haven't really focused on leveling it out. I never thought you could make too much milk. I'm glad it explains his horrible gas too. I was trying to figure out if it was something I ate. I can already tell a difference in our feeding sessions just in the last couple days of being more aware. Thank you ladies.

Quoting Precious333:

when you have baby nurse, or if you pump, you are telling your body to make more milk, so pumping can be counterproductive if you have over supply and overactive letdown. Now, if you become very engorged (rock solid breast) you want to be careful to not get a plugged milk duct, so you may need to express just a little milk just for comfort. Does that answer your question?

Quoting Sprtam:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Sprtam:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN