Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BM changing for baby needs?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:28 AM
  • 18 Replies

Ok so I have been EBF my baby for 5 months and 7 days as of today since my son has been born. My question comes that I have read several times that bf babies do not need to increase the amount of milk they drink because it changes to meet their needs. With that said, the milk that I pumped and stored for my baby when he was 2 months old and put in the freezer, would it still be good enough to give to him considering that he is now 3 months and so older and my milk has changed?!

I dont know. Im confused. Can someone please help me out with this. I have over 300 oz of milk in freezer and my milk supply is slowly regulating after going back to work and I want to make sure my son will get enough from it. Thanks!

EDIT: My question is whether the milk in the freezer is still good to give baby now given that he is more than 3 months older. (Hope this is clearer)

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:34 AM
How did you manage to save 300 ounces? You shouldn't need any of it if you're pumping at work.
Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Im no longer pumping enough at work unfortunately. I have tried increasing my pumping sessions and it is not working. I can get more milk just pumping twice a day during work then pumping 3 or 4 times and because I work more hours lately.

Quoting polkaspots:

How did you manage to save 300 ounces? You shouldn't need any of it if you're pumping at work.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:56 AM
It makes sense that you get more when you only pump twice a day than when you pump more frequently if you're getting full. Bm does change, and using old milk is not the ideal situation, but it's hardly an issue. It's like going to the store and finding out they don't have your favorite ice cream, but they have your second favorite on sale. Bm goes pretty fast especially if baby's getting more than an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour.
Quoting Jenoon:
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM
How much is baby getting per bottle, how many bottles and how long are you away? Ideally you need to pump out the same that baby takes in to make sure your supply isn't harmed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pixiekittymommy
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Is that statement true though?
I'm sure I've read somewhere that they eventually take a bit more at each feeding so that they can sleep for a longer period of time.... Oh gosh I hope so because my little one wants to eat about every hour and a half to two hours :\ I'm exhausted !
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM
The ideal way to use up your freezer stash is to use up old first day of the week then send fresh the rest of the week. The few ounces that day are ok. Fresh from you is best but freezer stash is still 100000x better than formula.
piwife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Yes your milk changes base on your child's daily needs, but the milk you pump is still great!!! How many hrs are you working? How many bottles does baby get and how many oz per bottle?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Baby gets 3 bottles of 3 oz of breastmilk during a work day which is typically 8 to 9 hours. The last few weeks I am working more hours bc of projects. So I should use the milk in the freezer or get rid of it?

Quoting polkaspots:

It makes sense that you get more when you only pump twice a day than when you pump more frequently if you're getting full. Bm does change, and using old milk is not the ideal situation, but it's hardly an issue. It's like going to the store and finding out they don't have your favorite ice cream, but they have your second favorite on sale. Bm goes pretty fast especially if baby's getting more than an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour.
Quoting Jenoon:

Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM

3 bottles 3 oz each. My question was about the frozen milk I have if its any good. Im not asking about the milk I pump every day.

Quoting piwife:

Yes your milk changes base on your child's daily needs, but the milk you pump is still great!!! How many hrs are you working? How many bottles does baby get and how many oz per bottle?

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
The reason they are asking how much you lo is getting is because its common for BF babies to be over fed while mom is away. This can make it difficult for mom to keep up with pumping needs and can cause baby to prefer bottle over mom. They just want to make sure things aren't harder for you than they have to be :)

As far as your frozen milk, is it different from the milk you pump today...yes. But it is still good for baby if he needs it while your at work.

Quoting Jenoon:

3 bottles 3 oz each. My question was about the frozen milk I have if its any good. Im not asking about the milk I pump every day.

Quoting piwife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN