Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding a Breastfeeding baby

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 16 Replies

My LO is 8 and a half months actual and 7 months adjusted. She's eating a little bit of solids everyday. Homemade, no cereal, and only at night. We started introducing meat recently. I know food before one is just for fun, but if you are going to work your way up to one, surely there is a lot of eating that has to happen! Should we start feeding twice a day? I know to breastfeed before solids.

I'd love to have her eat some cake at her first birthday, would that be a bad idea? (seeing as we choose not to give her cereal).

Another question, can we start offering water in a sippy cup? My mother always says at this age I drank out of their glasses and already used my own sippy cup. What other fluids can we offer? I'm not sure about fruit juices as I read it could be bad for their teeth. What about tea? Should I stick with baby spesific products or is that just a sales gimic like puried-bottled food?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I started giving my lo water in a sippy around 7 m/o, no other liquids. The amount you feed is really up to you. My ds is 9 months and some day I will give him solids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Other days, if we aren't really eating healthy, he nurses w no solids.

As far as the cake, ds hasn't had sugar or wheat yet so I am going to make a healthy cake for him out of coconut flour and applesauce (kinda like a frosted muffin).

Are you doing purees or bls?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't see what cake has to do with a baby eating cereal but i think everyone is entitled to a little cake on their birthday. And you can offer food at every meal (make sure you nurse first) and baby will decide if he wants more. As for the sippy cup there isn't really a need for it yet. Water would just take the place of milk so i only leave cups with MIL to use with breast milk on date night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
It completely a personal choice. My son was desperate to get solids soxwe gave them. Mostly fruits and veggies. Then we introduced meat and crackers. He did well drinking tea when he was sick. I stuck to green tea or fruit teas. He usually goes on a mild strike when aick so I try to keep his fluids up withthe tea and the warmth helps loosen up the mmucous. Some people would be horrified I gave him tea but in our house its just normal. Sometimes as a treat he got juice. I cut it way down with water though so its more like one part juice to 3 parts water. Go with your gut and do what works for you and baby.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I didn't introduce any fluids other than breastmilk until DS was a year old and then it was only water, those are the only 2 beverages in his diet still at 18 months old. I would steer clear of juices, they are realy no good for baby and will only replace the nutrition baby is getting from breastmilk with sugar and encourage babe to drink less of the good stuff. I know you said you know solids before one are just for fun, but that means you don't even need to offer them until baby turns one or even a little longer, you don't need to " work your way up to them" so that baby is eating three square meals a day by her birthday. IMO all baby food products are gimmicks and just a paycheck for big industry , they are never needed. All that being said, it really is a personal choice, and there's no reason LO can't have cake for her Bday. I choose to feed my son an organic raw food diet because that's what I believe in and it works for us. I did make him a special cake for his birthday, he loved it. :-)
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM
As for feeding, at meal time, cut up some tender pieces of everything your eating and put it on your tray and eat your own meal. If baby gets anything in mouth, cool. If not, no biggie. Repeat. Dd didn't get much in her mouth until 9 mo or so. Now at 14 mo she some days eats 3 meals, but usually it's only 2. I'd say feel free to offer whenever you are eating something but only if you've nursed first.

As for juice, it's not good for anybody. Water in a cup is fine. We waited until closer to a year but just out of laziness on my part. (Didn't want the mess). She sips out of an open cup but won't hold it herself yet. Straw cups work great. She hates regular sippys. Really it's simple, no rules. Baby will figure it out
rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Just take cues from baby.  When you sit down to eat and she reaches for your plate, then let her 'try' what you are eating.  All babies are different on the amounts and frequency of what they eat.  Since she was premie you may want to continue just the once a day food for awhile longer, just so her body can adjust.  My daughter didn't want solids until around 9mos, but our son has been eating solids since around 6mos.  He is almost 8mos and only 'eats' bfast and dinner.  Its more for tasting and fun than anything else.  All nutrition still comes from the BM.

You can definitely offer a sippy of water each time she sits to eat.  If she plays with it that's okay.  Again, just for fun and learning at this point.  I would NOT give juice or anything else except water.

As far as cake goes.....that is up to you!  You can make your own cake so its healthy and doesn't have sugar and dyes and such if you are worried about it.  However, my daughter had a smash cake and so will our son.  They really don't eat that much of it anyway.  

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Solids are really up to you. I do baby led solids. So I plan on giving DS bites of what I eat when I eat once he starts showing interest.

Tea as caffeine in it so I would stay away.

Water or BM in a sippy is fine. If you find your LO won't drink plain water I would add a splash - just enough to tast it - of juice to her water. That is what I have always done. Becuase let's face it, who likes drinking plain water?

Even to this day my three year old drinks "juice" that is about 99% water.

You can buy Gerber splashers but it is just watered down juice.

You can always do a carrot cake for her birthday
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Since your baby is a preemie, I would suggest sticking to once a day for a while. She doesn't need solid food, and the breastmilk is much better for her and easier on her tummy. My son is one and we still have to limit his solid intake because he had issues with it. Cake will be fine. It's not like your going to be giving her cake every day as soon as she turns one. Grains are hard for babies to digest, but cake will be fun for her. She probably won't eat much of it anyway. I started giving water in a bottle at a young age with both my kids because they always got the hiccups. For the most part he gets water, tea or watered down juice in a cup. I keep juice for when my inlaws spend time with him.
MoeksieNature
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Kinda inbetween puree and bls. She doesn't have the pincher grip down yet so I'm mashing food with a fork and feeding her. But no store bought stuff here, all good home made food! Same with sippy cup, she doesn't grip it propperly yet. Wondering if that's due to her being prem...

Quoting Eliots_momma:

I started giving my lo water in a sippy around 7 m/o, no other liquids. The amount you feed is really up to you. My ds is 9 months and some day I will give him solids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Other days, if we aren't really eating healthy, he nurses w no solids.

As far as the cake, ds hasn't had sugar or wheat yet so I am going to make a healthy cake for him out of coconut flour and applesauce (kinda like a frosted muffin).

Are you doing purees or bls?

CafeMom Tickers
MoeksieNature
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Thanks, this puts my mind at ease... She'd definately get cake!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I didn't introduce any fluids other than breastmilk until DS was a year old and then it was only water, those are the only 2 beverages in his diet still at 18 months old. I would steer clear of juices, they are realy no good for baby and will only replace the nutrition baby is getting from breastmilk with sugar and encourage babe to drink less of the good stuff. I know you said you know solids before one are just for fun, but that means you don't even need to offer them until baby turns one or even a little longer, you don't need to " work your way up to them" so that baby is eating three square meals a day by her birthday. IMO all baby food products are gimmicks and just a paycheck for big industry , they are never needed. All that being said, it really is a personal choice, and there's no reason LO can't have cake for her Bday. I choose to feed my son an organic raw food diet because that's what I believe in and it works for us. I did make him a special cake for his birthday, he loved it. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)