Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to this group and this will be the first time nursing baby...Advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 17 Replies

So this is my second pregnancy. I chose not to breastfeed my first because I was a teenager and had this mindset of I don't want a baby attached to my boobs at all times but then just as soon as my milk dried up I was talking to my son's pedi. and she had said I could try to pump to get my milk supply back but at that point I was so frustrated and mad at myself I stopped after a day of trying that. I decided after that point on that I would be BFing every baby from there on out. I would just like any and all advice on this because I really don't have any experience or know anyone who I am close to who has BF their LO who I could talk to.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Welcome!
Great to hear you are wanting to make some important changes!   :-)

We can offer a lot of books or websites to read for info, that does help, but it might be nice to get involved with a new moms group (new again), a breastfeeding group-  like La Leche...   Starting with them prenatally is good!
:-)

KellyMom : evidence-based breastfeeding and parenting

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Yay! We have a lot of moms who ff their first and bf their second (me included). And honestly he's not attached to my boob all the time but he is a mommy's boy. He only eats 5-10 minutes every couple of hours now that he's 8 months. In the beginning just watch baby. Every time baby seems hungry put baby to breast until she comes off on her own. Burp and offer other side. There are ugly little things called growth spurts. Your baby will act like she is starving and make you think you aren't making enough milk. Just keep putting baby to the breast and she will up your supply to satisfy her needs. No bottles. If you're tired lay her next to you in bed and let her nurse while you sleep. Any questions you have just post them :) congrats on the new baby!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Head to the bookstore and pick up a copy of "So That's What They're for" by Janet tamaro. Great basic book.

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Thank you everyone for you advice. :) I am only 14 weeks so I have quite a bit of time to keep reasearching and reading up on this topic. 

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Is there anything as far as "special things" to eat or drink or certain caloric intake that will help keep my supply up or is this strictly how often baby is feeding?

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hi I'm a 3rd time mama who is due in 9/15 and havent been able to successfully breastfeed either (i tried and tried w/my 1st, but didnt try w/my 2nd), so i'm with you here!! i just picked up a book at the library called "the nursing mother's companion" i plan on reading.

i have flat/inverted nipples, so will be using shells to draw them out before baby is born.

arm yourself with all the tools/info/anything you think you may need. Nursing pads, lanolin, nursing bras and tanks, nipple pump (if you have flat nipples like me), breast pump, boppy

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

What is a nipple pump? Mine are flat, not necassarily inverted I don't think. Hope that doesn't effect me being able ebf. I am due 9/2 :) 

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Hi I'm a 3rd time mama who is due in 9/15 and havent been able to successfully breastfeed either (i tried and tried w/my 1st, but didnt try w/my 2nd), so i'm with you here!! i just picked up a book at the library called "the nursing mother's companion" i plan on reading.

i have flat/inverted nipples, so will be using shells to draw them out before baby is born.

arm yourself with all the tools/info/anything you think you may need. Nursing pads, lanolin, nursing bras and tanks, nipple pump (if you have flat nipples like me), breast pump, boppy

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

idk the difference between flat or inverted, i'll have to read up on that. it's a small lil suction cup thing, you put over your nipple and squeeze it, to draw the nipple out. I tried it before pg, and it worked but hurt!

we can be in this journey together!! when are you due?

Quoting Alcavin08:

What is a nipple pump? Mine are flat, not necassarily inverted I don't think. Hope that doesn't effect me being able ebf. I am due 9/2 :) 

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I am due Sept. 2. Could I use a breast pump to do that as well or is that completely different than a nipple pump?

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

idk the difference between flat or inverted, i'll have to read up on that. it's a small lil suction cup thing, you put over your nipple and squeeze it, to draw the nipple out. I tried it before pg, and it worked but hurt!

we can be in this journey together!! when are you due?

Quoting Alcavin08:

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN